Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I grew up skiing Paskapoo and Wintergreen. Wintergreen was awesome as a kid, just like Fortress was as a kid. Nothing like escaping Calgary at the end of the day to shred Under the lights at Lyon Mtn! Yes that’s right-I was an early adopter. $49 season night pass could not be beat when your 10years old!

Not to mention 1st ski area in western Canada to create a half pipe (built out of hay bails and hand dug) as well as terrain park long before anyone even knew what they were.

The Crude pipe and park facilities worked for Mike Michealchuk and made him a top pro snowboarder

I'd kill to have the Poo glacier where im at right now. I plan on working on the switch game

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    I'd kill to have the Poo glacier where im at right now. I plan on working on the switch game

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app
    Keep your skis pointed forward and you will keep your knees intact....

All this Fortress talk is making me miss the 80's. Great time to grow up (as a skier and otherwise).

Some 80's nostalgia;

https://thechive.com/2022/01/17/take...80s-32-photos/

My Dad and I stayed up there once mid week, don’t remember why, it I do remember we were the only ones in the lodge and the next day, the only people on the hill. We were skiing the triple as it was snowing so hard our tracks were filled in every run. They would start the lift to load us then shut it down when we got off at the top. I have never seen it snow as hard anywhere else, as it could at Fortress. When Zrinko reopened for those couple of years my friend and I would drive up then tour over the backside. With no one skiing over there the snow was great and you could head way down the valley and hit a bunch of zones with pillow drops.

Lofty goal and I have my doubts but I wish them success.
    mtnlion, do you think there's enough demand out there for this to work? I have a hard time believing there's enough demand given my recent half dozen years out your way and never seeing lift lines that truly enraged me.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Lofty goal and I have my doubts but I wish them success.
    mtnlion, do you think there's enough demand out there for this to work? I have a hard time believing there's enough demand given my recent half dozen years out your way and never seeing lift lines that truly enraged me.

they MIGHT split the small AB ski crowd pie up a little bit more. The slope side has some merit (as banff/LL doesn't have any, can't really sell to non resident) but fortress is not a town, and not "cool" Its mostly living on old memories with bigger dreams. Its a small local hill, and not a destination

Also no summer plans/use (zip lines, walking, biking etc) and no non-skiing options (tube park, shopping, XC skiing, fat biking,)

yes all this COULD be done , but look how long its taken Reve to do any of this and that is a real town, destination skiing, etc.

would be nice IF it happened, but I'm sure not counting on it

I loved skiing Fortress and the big fireplace. It was closed down, then sold for a buck because it was profitable one year out of its last 10 and needed many upgrades.

I can't see it opening.

I'd go if they opened.

I might realize it was just nostalgic, in part because what I liked about it was being rustic... like castle.

If they add a bunch of amenities it might lose its charm. I don't mean sanitation... that's awesome.

But it might still be good if it stays independent. There are a lot of bitch threads about the huge amalgamated passes and what that does to the skiing experience.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Eldo View Post
    "New school" era at Fortress once the Canadian triple was installed.

Eldereldo with the cowboy hat, Hexcel skis, Burt bindings and Hanson boots.

Attachment 401297
    Hexcel/ Hanson alert that is a combo from a very specific period

EDIT- I didn't even read the text just saw the skis and boots. Burt bindings + Hexcel??? that doesn't make any sense? Supper light skis with a supper heavy binding? Would have made more sense with Alsop bindings though I don't think I actually saw a pair of those though again I actually only saw one pair of Burts. Were they a thing for 2 years?
    Last edited by DougW; 02-03-2022 at 08:38 AM.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.