Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Blocking access in lift lines...What say you maggots?

Time and time again, groups of people blocking access whether in the cue or in front of the entrance to lift lines. I mean I'm at the hill, skiing, so really this is a first world problem but man people are inconsiderate. I usually yell heads up as I like to glide into the lift lines and not have to stop on a slow day at the hill. More often than not I get glared at...How peaceful do you guys and gals stay in a case like this?

Non issue. I stay cool as a cucumber and just ask nicely to shuffle by. Not that hard. If you can’t pole, shuffle, skate the whopping 50’ to the lift maybe it’s time to assess your fitness level?..
    Granted they shouldn’t be blocking it but we live in a world of clueless entitled people so there’s that.

I am somewhat aggressive and will say loudly in a Steve Martin style, Welllllllllllllllllllllllllll Excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me.

Not really but there is such a lack of situational awareness these days on the part of most skiers around the lifts, both top and bottom and on cat tracks that I am surprised more people don't get run over or lose their shit.

ETA: Part of it has to do with how my regular mountain sets up their lift mazes.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Make sure you widen your stance, stand upright, and extend your arms upward and out.

The key here is to make yourself appear as large as possible to them, so as to deter any possible confrontation. Works well to intimidate and dominate anyone who oppose you.

No need to get agro with the clueless. Never helps the situation. Just ski over the backs of their skis with a smile and a very saccharin sweet, "Excuse me coming through."
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

I ski over their tails. Skiing over their tips is too aggressive when I’m just out there to have a good time. Mind the tail rocker however… it can get tricky with these new fangled ski shapes. Get off my lawn!

Blocking access in lift lines...What say you maggots?

Usually being positive / respectful human works better.

“Please don’t block the corral”
    “Next time, please wait for your friends outside the line”
    “Pull above the traverse track if you want to stop, thanks!”

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Non issue. I stay cool as a cucumber and just ask nicely to shuffle by. Not that hard. If you can’t pole, shuffle, skate the whopping 50’ to the lift maybe it’s time to assess your fitness level?..
    Granted they shouldn’t be blocking it but we live in a world of clueless entitled people so there’s that.
    2funky is right on the money….life is to short to worry about the small things and ur skiing. Nothing better other than being with ur kids and family.
    always forward but never straight

I don't know what's worse.... blocking the lift line or getting your panties in a passive-aggressive bunch about it.

I don't ski across their skis--why damage my skis? I just gently drag a pole tip across their skis. The other day I did that and the guy thanked me. But I think he was being sarcastic.

A few years back I skied over a pair of skis laid perpendicular to the lift line and had a patroller waiting for me at the top. He told me to chill out, and was probably right. He probably could have suspended me or something and didn't. So, one more reason the PCMR patrollers should get the raise.

Unless they are literally blocking you and you can't get by, don't worry about it. No need to get aggressive or even passive aggressive. Just enjoy your skiing

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I don't ski across their skis--why damage my skis? I just gently drag a pole tip across their skis. The other day I did that and the guy thanked me. But I think he was being sarcastic.
    Ollie over them! kidding.. If you can slide through just say scuse me as you scoot on past. It they are completely blocking it ski up, stop. look at them and smile and see how long it takes them to figure out they're oblivious..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Ollie over them!
    Funny. I came here to type this.

I usually just squeeze by them at medium/low speed, probably too close. Oh well.

That doesn't bother me. What bothers me is when people don't group smaller numbers up to match the chair size. If it's a 4 chair and I'm behind 4 groups of 2 I wanna scream. I've chilled out about this during covid times, however.
    Last edited by EWG; 01-13-2022 at 11:05 AM.

“What a perfect place to congregate, folks” in the cheeriest voice I can muster

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    I don't know what's worse.... blocking the lift line or getting your panties in a passive-aggressive bunch about it.
    Exactly. I can't imagine how angry I'd be anytime i was around the public if I let clueless people get me riled up.

It’s the snowboarders sitting in front of the entrance that kills me

I rip the groomed on tele gear

When I Show my glock they usually move.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

I stop and pee on their skis, and say “here you go, Chelsea!”
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    When I Show my glock they usually move.
    that seems a little excessive. pepper spray usually does the trick.

You guys ride chairlifts?

Quote Originally Posted by gearhunter View Post
    Time and time again, groups of people blocking access whether in the cue or in front of the entrance to lift lines.
    I give them a cue to move out of the queue.

Approach liftline at speed. Flail wildly and yell, make lots of noise.

Pull a full blown hockey stop, spraying the blockers as much as possible.

Politely shuffle by.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Approach liftline at speed. Flail wildly and yell, make lots of noise.

Pull a full blown hockey stop, spraying the blockers as much as possible.

Politely shuffle by.
    Name:  hesright.jpg
Views: 1501
Size:  24.5 KB

I try to slip by as quickly as possible w out saying a word, but blazing in and making a 90 degree turn in front of the clueless does have it's appeal.