Best Base Layer for Hairy Chest?

I'm sure I'm not the only hair chested dude who has issues with certain base layer materials. I love merino for it's natural anti-odor properties, warmth, and comfort, but the latest Smartwool merino base layer shirts I've worn must have a high friction coefficient and are usually high-static, causing my chest hair to be pulled in all direction under my layers.

Has anyone cracked the code on low-friction and anti-stink base layers for hairy dudes?

https://www.cilice.co.uk/product/goatskin-hairshirt/

Fight fire with fire

Get medieval
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Following

(For the sole purpose of making myself feel better about not having a lick of hair on my chest)

https://reduto.ca/neat%20hair%20remo...%3A+%7B4-ne%7D

A lot a products in this ^^^ link
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I've been using REIs stuff without issue

https://www.rei.com/product/153827/r...ens-tall-sizes

Try rubbing minoxidil on your chest and back. I’ve been able to grow my own organic base layer.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Wax (just like your skis...) I assume you have tried silk and the synthetics like UA Cold Gear or Polypropylene types of stuff??? Yes a few of the synthetics are much higher on the smell than wool ever will be.

I'm pretty hairy and I have 6 different base layers--all synthetic, no wool or semi wool--and none of them bother me. You know what bothers me--shaved chest hair (a number of cardiac echoes, one heart surgery) growing back. The pits do start to stink, that's why I have 6. But my cotton t shirts stink to, as do my pits by themselves. I haven't noticed the synthetics being particularly bad. Anyways, we're all manly men and women here (chest hair thread, right) and we're supposed to stink.

I mean isn't it just a mid layer?
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Manscaping might be in order

Manscaping can make it worse. Chest stubble doesn't get along with tight base layers in my experience.

I'm not the hairiest guy and I tend to use merino baselayers but I dry them in the dryer with dryer sheets on low to help deal with the static.

I feel like the chest hair should act as an insulator negating the need for base layer coverage at that spot. Maybe take a scissors and cut a big circle in the chest of your existing base layer?

I’m of Greek lineage and have enough chest hair for a few lifetimes, but I don’t have this issue with smartwool or similar merino.

I bet this is a bodywash or clothes detergent issue….

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    I feel like the chest hair should act as an insulator negating the need for base layer
    By definition, wouldn't that much hair qualify as a base layer? With enough hair, one shouldn't need any layers. This goes back to my post in the Hike Nekkid thread. We didn't need base layers for the first few million years, why now? Of course we probably didn't ski much in the Pleistocene.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

hiw much does a base layer do for ya is a good question

I have never used mid layers under soft shell

i was just wearing a patagonnia softshell (the one with the heatwelded seams that fell apart ) with no baselayer for a least a season, was up at the Asulkan hut in -25 and of course the big puffy goes on soon as I stop

must have been something wim-hoffish going on

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    I mean isn't it just a mid layer?
    Truth right there. I do wool on top of chest and back hair, inside a pro shell for all temps, all season. If below - 20c,I add a woolen knit jumper.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    I'm not the hairiest guy and I tend to use merino baselayers but I dry them in the dryer with dryer sheets on low to help deal with the static.
    Aren't dryer sheets bad for tech gear?

After they come out of the dryer I have used them with AQS or slowset 2 part to strengthen a repair,

I have often refered to it as '"Ukranian fibreglass"
    Last edited by XXX-er; 01-19-2022 at 08:35 AM.