Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: Garden 2022

We're well into frosts. The usual 35# or so of tomatoes was joined by a shitload of tomatillos, all of which were from volunteer plants. Now we must process it all before leaving for a month next week....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221029_101326.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	431597
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Really missed having tomatillos this year. My seedlings died unexpectedly.

Harvested arm loads of celery today. Removed some pepper plants and planted a pretty ridiculous amount of garlic for next year.

Nice to have at least that section buttoned up for next year,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221030_174044.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	431729

I've nuked everything except for 4 tomato plants which are still working hard to ripen a few fruits. They get covered every night and it's starting to get annoying...
    The peppers were all harvested before the first real frost, everything else was pretty much done already. Shit year overall, got a grand total of 1 cucumber, maybe a dozen zuccs, and 20% of the usual tomato amount. Our tomatillos died early as well, the pattypan plant produced 3 fruits total. The cantaloupes were doing well but Ms Boissal has decreed she's done with them as she only enjoys a couple per season then she's over it (I can't smell a cantaloupe without gagging). Only highlight was the ground cherry plant which has been insanely productive but shat the bed the second the temps hit 32. Oh well... The chickens are about to be let loose in the garden to finish things off.

See you all next year!
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

I got this one cherry tomato plant in a bucket on my deck and it won't give up. It's still ripening fruit. Barely.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Finally got a frost... pulled in about 35# of tomatoes the afternoon before. Now I watch them rot on the counter.
    I'm actually *really* impressed how well the San Marzanos are faithfully ripening in a cardboard box in the basement. I'm going to have to process another 5lbs or so fairly soon. The other tomatoes are slowly ripening instead of rotting. Seems weird...

Gotta love when you look under the habanada bottom branch andClick image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20221031_161136382.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	431855Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20221031_161355168.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	431856peppers are peppering Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20221031_161238487.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	998.0 KB 
ID:	431854Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20221031_161400040.jpg 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	431857herbs are herbingClick image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20221031_161336737.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	431858tomatoes are confused but flowers aren't Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20221031_161409295.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	2.53 MB 
ID:	431859

The last peppers before a few below freezing nights. They're still sorta going but most other stuff retired this morning. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20221107_191702010.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	433176

Similar story here. Still getting dribs and drabs coming in.

Name:	20221110_154644.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	433269

Cucumbers stole the show this year, closely followed by sweet and hot peppers and tomatos. Still have loads of cherry and grape tomatos outside, and I too am part of the patiently waiting for piles of green tomatos to ripen inside club.

Still have carrots, brussels sprouts and cauliflower out. Herbs as well.

Carrots came in today. Harvesting in freezing conditions sucks large. Only have myself to blame for leaving them so long.

Disappointing sizes for the most part this year. Last year I bought a dedicated carrot fertilizer and they were much larger, but I used ~30$ worth of that stuff so this year just tried just using compost to feed them and the difference was quite pronounced. Oh well.

Here's one sink load getting cleaned up.

Name:	20221117_193457.jpg 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	434435

Brussels sprouts are next to come in, if I get home while it's still daylight anytime soon.

Damn, digging carrots out of the ground right now definitely sounds like a battle. Even breaking the clumps would suck, I'm surprised you don't have a whole bunch of tiny chunks. Unless those are at the bottom?
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

When thing #2 was almost 4 he would run out to the garden with a flashlight and grab those late harvest carrots. He'd track mud all the way to the sink to wash them off. My wife and I were just over the moon about how cute the whole thing was.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    Carrots came in today. Harvesting in freezing conditions sucks large. Only have myself to blame for leaving them so long.

Disappointing sizes for the most part this year. Last year I bought a dedicated carrot fertilizer and they were much larger, but I used ~30$ worth of that stuff so this year just tried just using compost to feed them and the difference was quite pronounced. Oh well.

Here's one sink load getting cleaned up.

Brussels sprouts are next to come in, if I get home while it's still daylight anytime soon.

This reminds me I have one more row of carrots to pull - I was to tired (lazy, drunk) to finish pulling last month...

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Damn, digging carrots out of the ground right now definitely sounds like a battle. Even breaking the clumps would suck, I'm surprised you don't have a whole bunch of tiny chunks. Unless those are at the bottom?
    I grow my carrots in containers in loose soil since we're on had clay here. That way I can use a mix of super loose soil so the carrots grow straight. So when it got to freezing temps I moved them to a semi covered spot at my back door. A couple totes did freeze but I got them all out in one piece.

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    When thing #2 was almost 4 he would run out to the garden with a flashlight and grab those late harvest carrots. He'd track mud all the way to the sink to wash them off. My wife and I were just over the moon about how cute the whole thing was.
    That's hilarious, not to mention pretty damn wholesome.

Quote Originally Posted by pepperdawg View Post
    This reminds me I have one more row of carrots to pull - I was to tired (lazy, drunk) to finish pulling last month...
    Yeah I enjoy most aspects of gardening, even the dirty work, but once it gets cold I have zero motivation to get out there.

Oops I screwed up. I went to finish with the plants I brought inside for the winter and realized I forgot to put the garlic in. I wonder if it's too late.

I'm no expert but if the grounds already frozen I'd probably just try to get them in early spring.

It's not really frozen yet and we will most likely warm up again before winter really gets here. Playing it by ear now... I've planted garlic in late February before and been sorta successful with it so, maybe. I might try a few indoors and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    It's not really frozen yet and we will most likely warm up again before winter really gets here. Playing it by ear now... I've planted garlic in late February before and been sorta successful with it so, maybe. I might try a few indoors and see what happens.
    Just plant a bunch already. Jeesh.

Yup. As long as you can still work the soil then the garlic can go in. If there is a bit of frost in the soil when you work it, just soak the bed well after you plant the bulbs.

Last little bit's are finally in. Pretty good season over all.

Name:	20221124_160241.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	973.2 KB 
ID:	435330

Wow - so the unripe green tomatoes into paper bags to ripen worked wonders. Took way longer than expected but damn, wish I tried saving more this way.

Wow - so the unripe green tomatoes into paper bags to ripen worked wonders. Took way longer than expected but damn, wish I tried saving more this way.
    It was a crazy year. We are just this week finishing our ‘green’ harvested tomatoes that actually ripened in paper. Unheard of for us, but the hot dry fall was unusual to say the least.

Name:	1C7AB66F-61A5-44B4-BE8C-2779DA6831A6.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	755.9 KB 
ID:	437318

Nuthr batch of black garlic done. Needs a bit of fine tuning to remove the stubborn wrappers. Gummy bear goodness.
    watch out for snakes

Experimented with some fridge pickled green cherry tomatoes. It took about 8 weeks before they started to taste good.

Enjoyed them as a garnish for martini and chopped up for hot dog relish. Unexpected flavor in a ramen.

Probably wouldn't be too bad for salsa Verde, but I haven't gotten that far.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Might have to finally buy some grocery store garlic soon. Still have carrots galore, and frozen peppers plus various hot sauces on hand from last fall.

Might have to finally buy some grocery store garlic soon. Still have carrots galore, and frozen peppers plus various hot sauces on hand from last fall.
    I'm still pulling my frozen San Marzanos out regularly for marinara... only way I'm going to do tomatoes from now on.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk