Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Garden 2022

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Believe me I thought about it. There's not a single one left now and they ate the few female flowers that were left also
    It's small consolation GL but I'd imagine whatever ate 30+ cantaloupes has one hell of a stomach ache right now.

Believe me I thought about it. There's not a single one left now and they ate the few female flowers that were left also
    Deer? People? Unfortunately you can't shoot those kinda pests out of season. You need to piss in your garden more to mark your territory.

Squirrels and chipmunks

Squirrels and chipmunks
    Pellet gun.

Mothra getting after my eggplants.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220803_044108264.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	422973

5 mm irrigation tubing for scale. I spotted it walking about 10' away with a headlamp, had never seen a moth this large. Bigger than most hummingbirds I've see in UT!
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Mothra getting after my eggplants.

Name:	PXL_20220803_044108264.jpg 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	422973

5 mm irrigation tubing for scale. I spotted it walking about 10' away with a headlamp, had never seen a moth this large. Bigger than most hummingbirds I've see in UT!
    We get hummingbird moths somewhat regularly - they are also some big-ass moths.

I wonder what that one was, I have 0 knowledge of insects. It was very docile and not scared in the least. Really cool to see it out and about instead of trapped in the house causing a violent cat uprising!
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

I'm just glad to know I'm not the only weirdo out in the garden in the dark sometimes lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    I'm just glad to know I'm not the only weirdo out in the garden in the dark sometimes lol.
    We've seen you out there. You didn't see us.

Well, shit. Guess I gotta start wearing pants again then.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    I wonder what that one was, I have 0 knowledge of insects. It was very docile and not scared in the least. Really cool to see it out and about instead of trapped in the house causing a violent cat uprising!
    Probably scouting out places to make baby tomato hornworms.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    Probably scouting out places to make baby tomato hornworms.
    Well shit, you learn something everyday! They like tomatoes but will settle for eggplant, I will check tonight and see if the infestation has started...

This persistent dryness is killing me. I've got things wilting and shriveling up, half the plants are miniature versions of what they'd usually be, stalks are weak and productivity pretty much sux. It doesn't matter how much you water there's no substitute for rain. The only silver lining is the extremely low bug population (other than mosquitoes).

When do you SLC-ers plant tomatoes (and from seed? foot-high store bought? maybe 6" high) and when do you get ripe tomatoes usually?

For example, we plant seeds in mid-may and last year got tons of tomatoes starting in late July. This year they stopped growing in July and are very short, we don't have any ripe tomatoes yet. Theory on growth disparity is last year it was hot in Jun-July, this year it was just hot in late June-July.

I'm trying to figure out if we greenhouse plants in April next year I get more tomatoes sooner than we have ever have - if the weather cooperates.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    When do you SLC-ers plant tomatoes (and from seed? foot-high store bought? maybe 6" high) and when do you get ripe tomatoes usually?

For example, we plant seeds in mid-may and last year got tons of tomatoes starting in late July. This year they stopped growing in July and are very short, we don't have any ripe tomatoes yet. Theory on growth disparity is last year it was hot in Jun-July, this year it was just hot in late June-July.

I'm trying to figure out if we greenhouse plants in April next year I get more tomatoes sooner than we have ever have - if the weather cooperates.
    Best tomato year for us was 2020, started them from seed in the house in late March, moved them in the greenhouse as soon as it stopped being real cold (it's not heated), planted in early May when they were 6 to 8" and hardened (big gamble by Ms Boissal, we had to cover everything a couple times due to frost), first fruit was eaten around my bday in mid/late June, first big tomato was ready by mid-July, and we stuffed our faces and furiously canned until late October.

This year we didn't start from seed as we had a crazy ass spring. We planted store-bought big ass plants around Memorial day and I've eaten 1 cherry tomato so far (which wasn't quite ripe). Big tomatoes are fully green still and there aren't many. Half of the plants have reached normal size (towering over their 5' cage) but the other half is about 3' tall and giving no signs of further growth.

This is shaping up to be our worst tomato year by far. No idea how to explain it, the 1 month delay in getting in the ground isn't enough to justify what's happening. We usually don't have that many peppers at this time of the year and the tomatoes are usually way ahead but this year the situation is reversed. Regardless, if you have a greenhouse it's a great way to get shit started early, not be constrained to what's available as starters in stores, and plant whenever you want.

I just looked at pics from the last few seasons. This year is definitely slower in tomato production, prior years I’d already canned numerous jars. So far I’ve had one ripe marzano tomato, none of my DX52-12’s are large or ripe at all. One of the strangest things is that I’ve had no volunteers this year, I only planted three plants because usually they go nuts and I have numerous volunteers.

My sweet 100 cherry is doing ok and I started getting them a week or so ago. The garden experience is enhanced when you can grab one while weeding or checking things out. My pepper production is also way off, Ive gotten plenty of anaheims but everything else has been meh. My everbearing strawberries gave me one decent harvest and then they were like, “fuck that, it’s hot.” Buncha small stunted ones since.

My one Romano has a few greenies.

Name:	C8589907-E104-4535-93A9-36E8B831BF8B.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	423107

A few super sweet 100 cherries.

Name:	8F85F47C-9253-4FCC-844D-85233F76EC01.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	1,007.8 KB 
ID:	423108

I don’t even have blooms on my tomato plants? No signs of tomatoes. What am I doing wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Mine barely have anything either.

Oh, hold on, got two tomatoes so far but pretty small.

Garden 2022

Just back from 10 days on the coast. Some cleaning and huge cukes to harvest, but otherwise all looks good

Name:	Image1659667232.303462.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	235.8 KB 
ID:	423128
    A few ears on each stalk. The 3 on the right were planted 3wks later than the four on the left.

Name:	IMG_0341.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	251.6 KB 
ID:	423129
    Everbearing strawberries are still going but mostly stunted. Raspberries are just finishing their first pass

Name:	IMG_0340.JPG 
Size:	228.6 KB 
ID:	423130
    Zucchiniis are big and green but fruit is not liking getting the pollination they need. Peppers are doing OK for here

Name:	IMG_0342.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	217.9 KB 
ID:	423132
    Greens are mostly done but the chard, parsley going to seed. Tomatoes are full of flowers and fruit, keeping the plastic down during the cold front. Harvested a nice salad feast.

Name:	IMG_0344.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	248.9 KB 
ID:	423133
    I C U Snail on the potter Kale

Name:	IMG_0343.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	239.1 KB 
ID:	423134
    Pole beans looking good and promising but still a couple weeks late.

Random flowers after deadheading and tying back

Name:	IMG_0345.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	250.3 KB 
ID:	423135

Name:	IMG_0346.JPG 
Size:	233.5 KB 
ID:	423136

Name:	IMG_0348.JPG 
Size:	246.8 KB 
ID:	423137

It's literally do or die time now. We're going out of town for the weekend so if it doesn't rain (it's supposed to) I'll probably lose almost everything. I've been watering every day and misting for a while during the hottest parts of the day, without this everything will be severely stressed if it even survives. Fingers crossed.

We live with a well. I have been taking sailor showers for two months now. Yesterday we entered severe drought. Not sure if we will water the garden again.

Name:	A758281C-DE21-4468-8814-BC81ED809242.jpeg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1,004.8 KB 
ID:	423145

Picture of the most Charlie Brown tomato plant I have ever seen

Name:	CE3CAEEC-0241-4964-B4A3-63E6090E5D2E.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	423146

Overall the garden has produced well, but the potato garden across the street will need to be dug early

An unexpected event has been the worst hatch of small mosquitoes I have seen. They are viscous

That looks like one of mine and I think a few more will look like that before the end of today.

Ate a few cherry tomatoes yesterday, ripe ones, FINALLY!
    Also took a look at the 2 ground cherry plants I planted based on recommendations in this thread. There were a few fruits ready to pick so I tasted the stuff for the first time.
    Holy. Fuck. How have I gone so long without knowing about these???

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    harvesting pretty good

blackberries galore

im not allowed to turn em all into vodka b berry bombers

zukes n cukes and peppers are pumping out

a few spaggattis ,acorns, and yellow long necks about ready &
    more pumkins than ill need
    hops and grapes comin along

finally getting a few ripe bigger maters

"When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

That's eatin good in the neighborhood. Fuck soul-less shopping Mall restaurants. Eat from the garden of eatin.