Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Garden 2022

I usually start tomatoes 2 months before our frost date. You’ll probably need to pot those guys up. When you do that you can shorten them by planting much of the exposed stem below grade in the larger pot. It will form roots along that stem. If you don’t have enough space with the larger pots under the light you will have to go with a day on day off rotation.

^^^ this with the tomatoes.
    Snip the lowest leaves, repot in larger containers and bury the majority of the stem. They'll be pissed for a few days but it helps harden them before the transplant to the actual garden. It also forces them to grow a sturdier stem instead of the lanky flimsy one they tend to end up with when they grow in too small a pot and reach for the light. By the time they're ready to go outside their root system will be massive. Last year I moved all our tomatoes in red party cups after they outgrew their little peat pods. When I moved them to the garden every single one had a root ball the exact size of the party cup. We had a banger tomato season.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Did the first till this afternoon. The 1955 Briggs started on the second pull.

I wish I started on the second pull.

Quote Originally Posted by larilinesign View Post
    This season, I'm trying to grow a bunch of fancy pumpkins from seed.

There's a neat pumpkin patch in town that sells fancy pumpkins for like $1 or $2 a piece, so last year we thought it'd be fun to get a bunch of them.

As we ate all the pumpkins, I saved all the hundreds of seeds and peppered em 4 to a hole all over the front and back yard.

We go all out decorating for all the holidays, so really it's more of a long game of decorating for Halloween.

The look I'm going for is "OMG that house is totally overgrown with weird pumpkins!"

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    I like it. Our goal is to grow a giant pumpkin we can make into a boat for a local competition.

Name:  pumpkinregatta_101914~1.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  132.2 KB

We have failed miserably every time. (There's lots of videos about big pumpkin growing if yer interested but the Lords of the Gourds is the only real doc worth watching)

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xws2dw

I have some requests to build people raised garden beds. With the crazy prices and lack of available cedar and redwood lumber I'm considering interior wood. I saw a guy on YouTube using it, he's claiming it still lasts 5-7 years. I have some interior pine saw horses legs that have been outside for over a decade and they are still in one piece, although it's dry here and not in constant contact with wet earth.

Anyone try it?

Depends on the climate IME. Sounds like you are in the right climate to use naked pine or fir to make a bed. Building for a customer adds a twist.
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

We made something like this using pressure treated wood. Since the metal is the only thing in contact with the dirt I think you could get away with non PT wood in this style.

https://www.protoolreviews.com/how-t...ed-garden-bed/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210421_100320.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	2.84 MB 
ID:	412640
    Free, readily available, takes a while to rot, wood raised beds.

Holy shit the garlic I planted in November is growing like mad! I'm so stoked As I'm getting things cleaned up it looks like the berry patch is overgown and needs some thinning, the herbs are all coming right back. I have some cabbage and cauliflower going inside and they're going really well, I'm thinking to let them go inside where I don't have any cabbage worms (yet).

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post

Holy shit the garlic I planted in November is growing like mad! I'm so stoked As I'm getting things cleaned up it looks like the berry patch is overgown and needs some thinning, the herbs are all coming right back. I have some cabbage and cauliflower going inside and they're going really well, I'm thinking to let them go inside where I don't have any cabbage worms (yet).
    No blue tarps?

^^Behind and to my left

Peas are starting to climb.

And the over-wintered stuff has been doing ok.

I am now kicking myself. I want some raised beds in a place I used to have them before they rotted and I went back to tilling a flat space. Lumber prices suck these days. I had several 30' to 40' high overgrown white cedar taken down last fall. I was fixated on nice neat orderly beds and rows and didn't see the resource I totally wasted. With a little bit of chainsaw grease I could have carved some funky beds. These were fucking huge trees that had once been a hedge along a path/lane many years ago on the old estate before it was carved up. Fuck me.

Well, things were moving along nicely with a warm early spring but now we're at 6-7 weeks below normal and everything slowed down to the point that some early successes have died. It's also been really dry and now it's supposed to go to the low 20s tonight. Shitty way to start the year...

Soon...

Tomatoes

Name:	20220425_202503.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	414445

Love the tomatoes in the shot cups.

My tomatoes and tomatillos are fkn taking over my house. Couple more weeks till I can shoo them out.

Name:	20220423_174721.jpeg 
Views:	91 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	414448

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Love the tomatoes in the shot cups.

My tomatoes and tomatillos are fkn taking over my house. Couple more weeks till I can shoo them out.

Name:	20220423_174721.jpeg 
Views:	91 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	414448
    The cat probably wants her bed back

Holy shit Norseman that is a serious head start...
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Well they kinda got outta control. We left town for 10 days earlier this month, with the lil plants under a full-spectrum LED lamp on a timer. But I think the timer malfunctioned (or the neighbor bumped it while watering) and the plants received like 20 hrs of light each day, lol.

Next time I'll put a box fan nearby so the seedlings have some wind stress. This batch is all tall and spindly, and I'm concerned about stalk strength when they go outside. I'll bury em deep, etc, but still.

Replant the tomatoes with a foot or less above ground and the long stalk laying sideways under the soil. All of those little hairs will become roots making for a really strong plant that draws water effectively.

Replant the tomatoes with a foot or less above ground and the long stalk laying sideways under the soil. All of those little hairs will become roots making for a really strong plant that draws water effectively.
    Of course. Just gotta not snap the stem while handling them (and hardening them off).

Tomatoes are not my main jam and I've been scaling down their numbers every year. Doing more tomatillos and ground cherries this year instead. And lots of peppers.

here's my nerdy plan

Name:	garden 2022.JPG 
Size:	205.5 KB 
ID:	414474

Holy gant chart! Nice work Norseman that puts my garden to shame. And my tomatoes.

Lol, that's the short version, filtered by the "plant this year" column.

I'm a hopeless engineer. And married to one, too.

Name:	20220426_121933.jpeg 
Views:	67 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	414476
    Last edited by Norseman; 04-26-2022 at 01:50 PM.

This guys not fucking around.