Squaw Valley, USA

Bet it still tasted glorious.

We're finally getting somewhere about 1.5 months behind schedule:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220901_135241164.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	425295

The round zucchinis are genius, they seem to max out at the size of a melon then sit there. Much better than the standard varieties which will grow until they crush the world...
    Peppers are still going off, hungarian wax and shishitos are being consumed with every meal. Peaches are at the end of their season and they were glorious. Tomatoes are still flailing, cherries are decent but nothing big on the horizon. Possibly because the dog has been decimating our large tomatoes before they get a chance to rippen. I posted this pic in the shit that amuses you thread but it deserves to be here as well:

Name:	PXL_20220828_152704101 (1).jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	425296

Every time I go to the garden she comes with to have a snack. You can smell the tomato plants on her and yesterday her whole nose was stained yellow-green...
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post

Name:	Image1662049758.127268.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	137.6 KB 
ID:	425286

Stack order is incorrect…
    Heh.

Shishitos, have a ton of them and they keep coming. Been blistering them in cast iron and eating them with an aioli. Love them that way, but looking for other suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by thedude2340 View Post
    Shishitos, have a ton of them and they keep coming. Been blistering them in cast iron and eating them with an aioli. Love them that way, but looking for other suggestions?
    That's my favorite way but I also pan fry them with eggs every morning. They also pickle really well if you really have too many and you need to get rid of a bunch at once.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    That's my favorite way but I also pan fry them with eggs every morning. They also pickle really well if you really have too many and you need to get rid of a bunch at once.
    Thanks! Breakfast is a competition w all the Serranos and jalapeños I have. It’s a real problem .

Hot sauce through the winter tho

What a fail this year turned out to be. It didn't matter what I did, almost everything died and what didn't is barely producing. What is alive is miniature versions of what would normally be. I guess when you're over 2 feet down on precip for the year that's what happens. Even my several years old, incredibly dense berry patch is dead

Quote Originally Posted by thedude2340 View Post
    Thanks! Breakfast is a competition w all the Serranos and jalapeños I have. It’s a real problem .

Hot sauce through the winter tho
    Shishitos fry up with a very distinct flavor and don't burn your face off which is something I enjoy in the morning.

If you really have too many shishitos you can use them to balance out super spicy peppers when you make hot sauce. I did a couple jars last year with shishitos and others with red bells and the flavor was noticeably different.

Do your shishitos have much flavour raw? I've got a couple growing really nice looking peppers but sampled one yesterday and it was totally flavourless. Haven't tried cooking them yet.

They're fairly bland when raw in general but the flavor pops up when fried or fermented.
    On that note, we've been growing habanadas for a couple years, a mild version of the habanero. The flavor is insane, that very distinctive habanero taste but without the mad burn. I put them everywhere now. Occasionally sandbag myself confusing them with real habaneros but that's a small price to pay...

Hey thanks, looking forward to frying some up. Had not heard of habanadas before, they sound amazing.

Row 7 are doing god's work. I had access to their experimental pipeline in Baltimore and it was unbelievable the flavors, textures, and colors they are producing from selective breeding. I believe the Cornell seed bank is also in on the project.

Dan Barber spent years producing peppers to feed to his chickens so they would lay red yolked eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    They're fairly bland when raw in general but the flavor pops up when fried or fermented.
    On that note, we've been growing habanadas for a couple years, a mild version of the habanero. The flavor is insane, that very distinctive habanero taste but without the mad burn. I put them everywhere now. Occasionally sandbag myself confusing them with real habaneros but that's a small price to pay...
    Is that what those are called? I have a 'no heat' habanero that has been pretty drought tolerant and has been producing peppers less than 2" but they're super tasty in eggs sauteed with fresh onion and garlic.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Is that what those are called? I have a 'no heat' habanero that has been pretty drought tolerant and has been producing peppers less than 2" but they're super tasty in eggs sauteed with fresh onion and garlic.
    Sounds like a habanada. Identical look and flavor to their pissed off cousin but really mild, really nice with eggs for sure.

So now that most of the garden died from drought I get 3.4" of rain in a day and stuff started growing again. Tomato Plants that I cut off to an inch above the surface rather than ripped out are 4" tall now, pepper plants put on all sortsa flowers and the strawberries in hanging baskets are the happiest they've been since the last time it really rained (back in June). I'm gonna dig a few small holes to see if this rain actually soaked in or just ran off, maybe I can put in some late crops if there's actually some moisture down there.

Oooofh. I just went and checked our pole beans and wound up with a surprise 8 lb harvest. I've got the outdoor canning station up and running and tonight is a dilly bean might!

Nice set up. Every year I say I'm going to get a propane burner and process everything outside but never do. End up steaming up the kitchen for hours and hating every minute of it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    Nice set up. Every year I say I'm going to get a propane burner and process everything outside but never do. End up steaming up the kitchen for hours and hating every minute of it lol.
    The fall processing season isn’t so bad and the house does smell good. But in the heat of the summer, processing fish & berry harvests are always outside. Love our camp chef for the purpose, along with a single propane burner that puts out somewhere north of 60000btu that can handle the big canners.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    My wife is adamant that she refuses to can outside so I'm trying to make the setup as good as possible to get her to believe she can do it outside. I hate coming home to the AC on and 80 degree temps and % humidity in the house while she's got about 15 gallons of water and vinegar at a roiling boil on the stove for hours.

We can exclusively outside or the house turns into a furnace with the 2 burners of the CampChef 14 blasting 30,000 BTUs in a small space. And as John_B said, the heat is one thing but the fact that humidity goes up to 100% with super spicy pepper vapor creates issues...

I have cleared out the house on a few occasions.

4+" of rain in a week and the garden has taken on a second life. Anything that I cut down rather than pulled out is growing again, strawberries and raspberries are popping, peppers are going crazy and the cabbage I planted in the house then put outside in April is FINALLY growing. It looks like I ought to have fresh herbs, other than the rosemary which kicked ass all year, ready to use in a week or so and 2 turnips started growing from the seeds I put in in April. Too bad it's gonna dry out again and not rain for 2 weeks

I grew some tomato plants this year that went absolutely hog wild and completely overwhelmed the 4'-5' tomato cages i put them in. the tomato area is now a cats-cradle of bright pink landscaping string tying the cages to pounded in stakes in an effort to keep things upright. No bueno.

Are there any larger trellis-type systems that people use for indeterminate tomato types?

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    I grew some tomato plants this year that went absolutely hog wild and completely overwhelmed the 4'-5' tomato cages i put them in. the tomato area is now a cats-cradle of bright pink landscaping string tying the cages to pounded in stakes in an effort to keep things upright. No bueno.

Are there any larger trellis-type systems that people use for indeterminate tomato types?
    I put posts around the perimeter of the tomato bed, then run boards longitudinally about 7' from the ground. As the plants grow I tie the stems up with twine. It works well and keeps things open, and the twine can just go into the compost. The initial infrastructure send like overkill, but once the plants are big it makes sense.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

One is also supposed to pinch tomato plants.