3d printing bike tools/parts

The Schmautzes pooled our Christmas money and bought a 3D printer. My 9yo has a natural engineering mind and has been playing around in a modeling software for over a year. In the process of figuring this thing out I've started to figure out bike parts that are a great fit for it's capabilities. I've pulled most of my parts off of thingiverse but just designed my first bike-specific part/tool. In this case, I am printing a really simple fixed shock replacement so I can take the DPX2 and either have it serviced or do it myself.

Anybody else doing this or have ideas of what else would be useful? I've done a handful of other things like CO2 mounts and pulleys. I'm kind of amazed at how useful this thing is. I've been putting almost non-stop since I got it!

Seth

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

There's all sorts of patterns for Garmin/Wahoo/GoPro/light mounts (stem spacer, zip tie to helmet, etc.). I've got a set of clips some guy printed as a replacement for the GG side door, but I've never gotten around to using them. I wouldn't want to use the 3d printed stuff for anything structural, but for accessories it should be great. I've thought about pestering someone to make me an angled water bottle mounting bracket for my size 2 GG's lower mount, but it seems like it would involve a lot of trial and error to get right.

3d printing bike tools/parts

Light and GPS mounts for some work projects, and played around with some frame mounts with limited success. Soft jaws for a vice, those little disc brake spacers that I always lose. I made new hinges and a new latch for an old Igloo cooler that have held up. Filament can be somewhat limiting as far as strength and durability. A resin printer opens up the possibilities if you can access one.

You can also do fun stuff like sculptures or a terrain model of a favorite place. It’s good for personalized little gifts and stuff like page holders or backpack danglies. You can also make cases for things, which opens up a lot of options for building gadgets with an Arduino and/or Raspberry Pie.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Here are some rockshox and Fox dust seal tools, a shock spacer for a frame and a steer tube replacement that have been successful in addition to other items. I have also done the brake pad spacers and have had mixed success with pulleys. We are printing a bunch at work also and I have access to different filaments and printers.

When using that rockshox tool, were you able to just press until the tool bottomed out or did you have to check to make sure it held perpendicular?

I printed one like that and as soon as I used it I wished I'd added a rim around the outside to touch down evenly around tbe seal when it was in position. Worked ok without that, but seemed a little more "manual" than it could have been.

I haven't used it yet! Ran across it when searching thingiverse and threw it into a nest. Servicing that fork is on the agenda for the next few weeks so I'll let you know.