Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bode miller joins with Scarpa

https://blisterreview.com/industry-n...U3YKLZRez9TB4A

The upcoming “4-Quattro” collection of boots will be the first alpine-focused line of boots from the brand, and we’ll have more info about them in the coming weeks (and should be getting in some to review, too).

Scarpa have never fit me so I am underwhelmed
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I found a leaked image of the new boot on the internet:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scarpa Alpine.png 
Views:	325 
Size:	773.2 KB 
ID:	400855
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Does Bode have a history of really driving product development? (specifically, during his post WC career)

I feel like I see his name attached to some new endeavor every few years, but feel like I never hear much beyond the initial announcements. Could be totally off here though, it’s not like I stalk the guy or anything, and memories become more and more fuzzy the older I get….

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Does Bode have a history of really driving product development? (specifically, during his post WC career)

I feel like I see his name attached to some new endeavor every few years, but feel like I never hear much beyond the initial announcements. Could be totally off here though, it’s not like I stalk the guy or anything, and memories become more and more fuzzy the older I get….
    How could you be confused, how could you keep up, here are just a few of his endeavors:

-2015 crashed out of the World Cup with an injury
    -2016 tried to make a racing comeback on Bomber Skis, and Head Skis (since 2006) held him to his contract, so Bode tried to sue Head and lost.
    -in 2017 he became an equity partner and Chief Innovation Officer at Aztech Mountain clothing company
    -in 2020 he joined Crosson Skis as the Chief Innovation Officer.
    -in 2020 Bode and Swiss startup Snowcookie Sports CEO Martin Kawalski launched SKEO, a digital ski platform (title of co-founder)
    -in 2021 Alpine-X (indoor snow sports resort developer) names Bode as Cheif Innovation Officer
    -in 2021 Wheels Up, the private charter jet company, has partnered with Bode to offer unique skiing experiences
    -in 2022 he announced the Bode Miller Ski Academy in partnership with Andy Wirth, who’s part of the management team at Granby Ranch.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    How could you be confused, how could you keep up, here are just a few of his endeavors:

-2015 crashed out of the World Cup with an injury
    -2016 tried to make a racing comeback on Bomber Skis, and Head Skis (since 2006) held him to his contract, so Bode tried to sue Head and lost.
    -in 2017 he became an equity partner and Chief Innovation Officer at Aztech Mountain clothing company
    -in 2020 he joined Crosson Skis as the Chief Innovation Officer.
    -in 2020 Bode and Swiss startup Snowcookie Sports CEO Martin Kawalski launched SKEO, a digital ski platform (title of co-founder)
    -in 2021 Alpine-X (indoor snow sports resort developer) names Bode as Cheif Innovation Officer
    -in 2021 Wheels Up, the private charter jet company, has partnered with Bode to offer unique skiing experiences
    -in 2022 he announced the Bode Miller Ski Academy in partnership with Andy Wirth, who’s part of the management team at Granby Ranch.
    He really innovated with this design:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 5.51.25 PM.png 
Views:	244 
Size:	294.9 KB 
ID:	400895
    swing your fucking sword.

He needs money, and his name still has some credibility, but not one partnership he has launched has ever worked. Maybe this will be different, but the track record has not been stellar.

is that cuz the name Bode is kinda different than say Bob or Al ?

Quote Originally Posted by mff353 View Post
    He needs money, and his name still has some credibility, but not one partnership he has launched has ever worked. Maybe this will be different, but the track record has not been stellar.
    Dont you loose credibility when you tout a ski brand as the best thing since sliced bread, and then 4 years later sign on with a new company and say "but wait, now these are the best"

If you think about it in I-phone lifetimes and then 4 yrs is alot

I think it was 08 WC in practise I looked up as Bode came over fallaway at a high rate of speed on an uphill outside edge looking just like that was the way you are suposed to ski and I thot wow
    Last edited by XXX-er; 01-12-2022 at 11:01 PM.

Whatever happened to his being an ambassador at Big Sky? Big announcement a couple years ago, but never seemed to have any real presence that I noticed.

He hyped the hell out of Full Tilt last year and modded their boot exactly how some old timer told him too. I'm more innovative for putting a dalbello tongue on a clapped out out Atomic boot. Why can't I be Chief Innovation Officer of something?

Since boot development could take years of testing and the boots will be presented soon, I assume the all work is already done. However, done by the Scarpa people. Now, before all the markting and production and sale starts, they need somebody to get the media attention.

Quote Originally Posted by obi wan kenobi View Post
    Since boot development could take years of testing and the boots will be presented soon, I assume the all work is already done. However, done by the Scarpa people. Now, before all the markting and production and sale starts, they need somebody to get the media attention.
    That’s my assumption. Just wish the media wouldn’t pay any attention when this type of thing happens…. Or even better, report that this type of thing is actually happening, instead of hyping shit when it does.

Quote Originally Posted by obi wan kenobi View Post
    Bode alluded to a lot of gear what-if's in his Blister Podcast about Pro's Gear [and referenced a fair amount of his gear/development experience]. I wouldn't be surprised if he'd been working behind the scenes for a while on something that Scarpa had rolling already.

On the recent Blister podcast he was lauding the Raichle/Full Tilt classic as the pinnacle of boot design, and how critical subtle fit and flex characteristics are to skiing performance, and then he signs on with Scarpa, renowned manufacturer of clunky utilitarian touring boots. I understand the guy’s got to make a living, but is there anything he won’t lend is name/diminishing reputation to?

Maybe they can finally stick a warm body towards their tele line.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

maybe Scarpa finaly realized they could sell more alpine boots than Tele boots

altho the Maestrale has been a big seller for them

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Maybe they can finally stick a warm body towards their tele line.
    I mean, the tele skiers at cannon (where he grew up) are honestly the best I've ever seen. After seeing one zipper bumps at speed, I realized that I really didn't know a damn thing about skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Dont you loose credibility when you tout a ski brand as the best thing since sliced bread, and then 4 years later sign on with a new company and say "but wait, now these are the best"
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by mff353 View Post
    Exactly.

The caveat is the folks that are buying Bode Miller products are definitely not the mags on this forum. I tend to think its people who ski under 12 days a year and/or are not particularly nerdy/in-tune with what the rest of the industry is doing. Those people don't give two shit, or even know about, the previous product line that he has endorsed.

I will say... listening to that blister interview from last year has really made me want to try out some FT Classics... So who's hoarding a 26.5?
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Scarpa hopes to sell its new line of boots to people who fall outside their core customer group. Casual skiers in Europe and North America know who Bode is. That's all.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Scarpa hopes to sell its new line of boots to people who fall outside their core customer group. Casual skiers in Europe and North America know who Bode is. That's all.
    To be fair to Bode, I’m not sure I’d be willing to turn down someone’s offer to use my name to help them sell their stuff. Anyone willing to pay to have the DeJong seal of approval slapped on their product? Anyone?… Anyone?.. Bueller?

And again, as someone who doesn’t stalk Bode, I have no idea what his skills outside of skiing are. Certainly lots of athletes devote their entire lives to a sport, and then retire to find out they don’t have a lot of marketable skills and need to find any way they can to earn a living.

Would be nice if we actually lived in a society where Kardashians weren’t the heads of successful business empires though.

I think he has a lot of kids

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Not touching that one.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Not touching that one.
    -2 Month old Girl with Moran
    -2yo Twin Boys with Morgan
    -RIP (2018)-18 month Old Girl with Morgan
    -3yo Boy with Morgan
    -6yo Boy with Morgan
    - 8yo Boy with Sara McKenna
    - 13you Girl with Chanel Johnson