Thread: Norse Enduro 188 review

Norse Enduro 188 review

I’ve put enough days on these to post a review. Not too many over here in the US - and free shipping, low import duty so nets to a reasonable price. I think it would be interesting to some as a western daily driver…

Me: 6’1 180. Front Range CO. Split time pretty evenly on BC vs resort. At resort prefer trees and moguls. Style is pretty slashy. General preference toward reverse or flat cambered skis, and more forward mounts. Fave ski is still the original 4FRNT EHP – I have a two hoarded pairs and still ski then a lot!

Objective: Was looking to rationalize the quiver better, and therefore add a daily driver type ski for range of conditions from early to late season… plus ideally be a 50/50 ski for travel (with inserts for alpine and AT binders). So was looking for 100ish waist, some camber for early season, significant tip/tail rocker and some taper so can punch above its width in powder, long-ish radius, pretty firm but still light enough to tour on.

Selection: The Blister review of the Norse Enduro caught my eye. (Link here, but I think you need to be a member - https://blisterreview.com/flash-revi...1-norse-enduro) They described as great for techy terrain. Looking into it more, the dimensions of the Enduro checked out well (see below)… pretty reasonable price ($775 w/ duty and free shipping from Sweden, plus sweet prices on ATK binders and Pomoca skins). Founder Patrik described as 1/3 Faction (where he came from) + 1/3 4frnt EHP/hoji inspiration + 1/3 his own tweaks = Norse… I liked that.

Specs: a legit full 188 length, 1875 gr/ski, 25m radius, phantom-like waxless base, some rubber for dampening, thick edges. The finish is also quite nice.

Mount: I mounted with inserts for Tyrolia Attack ATs @ -7cm from center vs -8 recommended; I debated this, but figured I could add another set of toe inserts closer to the rec line if needed. Patrik @ Norse said it skied well from line to +1 cm. (I didn’t ask about back from line.)

Initial review: I feel I’ve skied it enough and in enough conditions to provide some thoughts. This includes early season groomers, especially given late CO snow start. Then some legit pow and crud with the big storm cycle down at Wolf Creek. And finally some Mary Jane moguls and trees, on good snow but days out from most recent storm.

On groomers… this is not a carving ski by any means. But it’s got enough camber and sidecut to put it on its side. The long radius and taper does make you stay on your toes. It is not going to turn itself. But for me, it’s a big step forward from a reverse cambered EHP or Raven. It would also be more settled if mounted back at the -8 rec line I’m guessing. But it’s fun for early season or the groomer track back to the chair. And it's not going to flop around at all.

In 1-2 feet of pow it was super smooth. I was a bit reluctant to take out a 100mm waist ski in these conditions with a bigger set of skis in the car, but I wanted to test the Enduros out. And in fresh snow, they skied great. Enough rocker keep the tips up. It arced really nicely. And could throw them sideways pretty easily - although nothing like a wider RC ski. Overall, seemed to punch above their weight.

As things got more cut up and heavier in the sun, they definitely required more work. They feel heavier than their weight, and with speed could plow through piles pretty well. In tighter situations though, they needed some real weighting/unweighting to help force those required turns. No surprise, there are much better skis out there for these conditions.

Then on to MJ for the bumps. This is what made me most nervous since I actually like moguls (especially the ridges and off-camber there) and wanted this ski to shine. Initially I felt the tails were too long (ie, mount too forward) and that the stiff, squared off tails were catching and throwing off flow. But then I de-tuned em a good bit and probably shook off some early season rust and they’ve settled in very well. While the tails aren’t crazy stiff, they’re definitely firm enough for hard tail checks and landing any airs. Although I keep pretty close to the snow, they’re fun to pop off moguls and tails are very supportive. Most importantly, they pivot and slash through moguls and tight trees very nicely. As they should – I think this is really where they should be at their best.

Last observation, they are really quite firm and stable at speed for a 1900 gram ski. I’m guessing the metal plus rubber goes a long way. Enduro is a pretty good name for these – they’re (somehow) light enough for the uphill, but stout enough for hammering the downs.

I’d be pretty curious how these would compare to the Dynastar MFree 99 (or the MFree 108 to the bigger Norse Freeride). I’m guessing the Dynas would be a bit looser based on the tails alone. My issue was that the MFree 99s only went up to 185, plus I was wary of the tighter 18m radius. Some others I was considering were the Ranger 102 FR, 4FRNT MSP 99 and Shaggys Amheek – all great skis as well.

Anyway, if any CO folk want to give these a try, they’re set up around a 315mm bsl alpine or AT-soled boot. I’m going to add inserts for my ATK FR14s as well. And I’ll be taking em out to Whistler and KH/Rogers Pass. Hope that’s helpful for someone!

Pics below… including next to one of the beloved EHPs
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-0103.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	622.2 KB 
ID:	400808

Name:	IMG-0104 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	433.8 KB 
ID:	400810

Name:	IMG-0106.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	647.2 KB 
ID:	400812

Nice, these are sold at allspeed cycle and snow which is a local shop. Plus the US rep lives in the he area. Been wondering about how they skied. I think they added a little more mass into this years ski.

^^^ Cat, interesting. I didn’t realize they were in any US shops.
    There’s definitely more and more new brands out there. Saw some Stereos yesterday at bentgate

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    ^^^ Cat, interesting. I didn’t realize they were in any US shops.
    There’s definitely more and more new brands out there. Saw some Stereos yesterday at bentgate
    Sold in a shop in Colorado, too.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Nice, these are sold at allspeed cycle and snow which is a local shop. Plus the US rep lives in the he area. Been wondering about how they skied. I think they added a little more mass into this years ski.
    He is no longer the Norse rep

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums