Dynafit Crampon Question

Added some tech bindings back into the quiver (Dynafit Speed Turns) and have a question. It looks like they want me to slide this metal piece under the back 2 screws of the toe to add a crampon. Doesn't that create a space underneath and jack up the angle? I know it's thin and probably won't affect it all that much, it just seems half-assed when the rest of this binding seems not like that at all. Thinking I might just add these blocks and use my B & D's from another ski, they don't weigh much at all either and fit underneath my boot no problem.

Name:  345.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  19.4 KB
    Name:  234.png
Views: 157
Size:  45.0 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by tromano View Post
    Apathy is harder for me to understand than passion.

There's a slot in the base plate of the toe unit for that crampon mount so it fits in without lifting anything or messing with angles. Right now you probably have empty space below the plate in the screw area. I've mounted some Speed Turns without the crampon attachment and they kind of float there. Probably not an issue strength-wise but it's easy enough to pull 2 screws, slide the plate in, and put the screws back (with epoxy for the 2nd round).
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

I must need new glasses, I don't know how I missed that. I must have looked at it 5 times t see if there was space. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    There's a slot in the base plate of the toe unit for that crampon mount so it fits in without lifting anything or messing with angles. Right now you probably have empty space below the plate in the screw area. I've mounted some Speed Turns without the crampon attachment and they kind of float there. Probably not an issue strength-wise but it's easy enough to pull 2 screws, slide the plate in, and put the screws back (with epoxy for the 2nd round).
    Quote Originally Posted by tromano View Post
    Apathy is harder for me to understand than passion.

Never thot about it but My Rads and Verts have plastic shims and the crampon mount is different, that toe is suposed to mount directly to the ski with no plastic shim underneath ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    I must need new glasses, I don't know how I missed that. I must have looked at it 5 times t see if there was space. Thank you!
    It's easy to miss but at least on the Speed Turn 2.0 if you flip the toe piece (not something you can do now) you see the cutout for the crampon mount. Those toes you have appear to be a newer model of Speed Turn, I see it at a few stores online but not on Dynafit's website. The lever looks similar to the one on the Ultralite binding. Regardless, all the generation of Speed Turn and Ultralite I've seen come with the same plastic-free body that mounts directly on the ski with the crampon attachment slotted underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Never thot about it but My Rads and Verts have plastic shims and the crampon mount is different, that toe is supposed to mount directly to the ski with no plastic shim underneath ?
    If I remember correctly the Verts had a crampon slot integrated in the plastic mounting plate (or faux-carbon plate for the FT12) so there was no separate part to fiddle with.
    The Speed Turn toes are all metal with no plastic mounting plate and go directly into the ski. Quite a bit lower profile and simpler. Those plastic plates on the old Verts were not super inspiring...

Edit: your clamps definitely look like a newer Speed Turn 2.0. The previous ones came in blue or bronze, didn't have a metal tab to clip the leash, and the high post was different (had a round plastic thing screwed in that broke the 4th time you slammed your heel on it). Those new toes are definitely the same at the UL toe (except the color). Small improvement but I bet they're actually more functional. There's definitely a slot for the crampon attachment under there.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Ya kind of, the plastic is backing up a metal clip inside of it on the Vert plastic shim held by the screws

Rad 1 uses a similar plate for the crampon as in the OP's pict but its mounted on top of the binding frame and has the countersunk holes, Rad 1 toe piece works great but the heel piece sucks dead goats

Only issue I ever had with the plastic shims was a plastic Vert shim broke when the box got crushed in shipping from MEC.ca so they sent me another binding at a nice discount cuz it had become a discontinued product which is what they do
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know