Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    word
    C was on skis in the yard and in the basement before he ever was at a resort and that was just base of stratton walking around and a few small slopes at the base....

former mag basom takes his girls to the local park in Cambridge to ski

Force the little bastards to ski in the pouring rain. If that doesn't do it nothing will.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWzFxeuvc8F/

Also mandatory backyard training.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bt7v3LUl0U2/

Even after the ski hill closes for the season you force those little people up there to put in more work.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CN3ho76B7OP/

When you can't get up to the ski hill that's no excuse.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYI7DTcJkRK/

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Force the little bastards to ski in the pouring rain. If that doesn't do it nothing will.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWzFxeuvc8F/
    Agreed. You're not a "skier" if you don't ski bell to bell in a pouring MidAtlantic monsoon..

Scout Troop Ski Trip FTW!
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by toastybroski View Post
    Pretty much the title, with a kid coming soon what are some tips you all have learned for getting your kids to like skiing? I am worried if I push it too hard on them they will become disinterested.
    Take it really slow and introduce them a little at a time. First time I took my daughter out she was 3. She didn’t hate or love it so I waited until she was four to take her again. Again she didn’t love it or hate it. I kept doing that until she really showed enthusiasm for it when she was 6. Then I started taking her on the bunny hill making it a daddy daughter day. I would keep gummy bear in my pocked and hand warmers for incase she got cold. Just take it slow until they ask to go. Now she gets excited for winter and she is enrolled in ski school.

One other tidbit of advice. Don’t take them out when it is a really cold or windy. Also the ratio of positive reinforcement to correction needs to be much much higher for a kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Agreed. You're not a "skier" if you don't ski bell to bell in a pouring MidAtlantic monsoon..

Scout Troop Ski Trip FTW!
    Dude, we did that every ski day in Southeast Alaska...almost literally

I don't know if anybody uses books anymore but there actually is a great, funny, useful book about teaching kids to ski.

Tried to link but does not work. Search "Ski Tips for Kids" on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    Dude, we did that every ski day in Southeast Alaska...almost literally
    Pretty typical NC, VA, and southern WV skiing..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Making your kid a grom

Keep them stoked about more than just the act of skiing. Building desire and license for their own gear seems to build excitement and confidence.

We got the twins goggles and helmets for Christmas, like “real skiers”

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1642633900.307319.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	197.1 KB 
ID:	401964

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    The kid stoke thread has lots of advice on this. But always make it fun. Lots of candy on the slopes, hot chocolate every day you play in snow. One tip I got, and think it worked well, is (try to) always leave before they're ready. Much better to have the kid crying about how they want to keep skiing than crying from a melt-down because they're done with skiing and you're halfway up the mountain.
    Good advice right here ^.

There will be days where you drive to the mountain and the kids (I have twins) just want to play in the snow. There were days that was all we did when they were 3 and 4.

And John Denver. My kids are newly minted teens, but if I play Annie's Song they still get heavy eyed. If I loop it again they are out just like they were at age 5 driving home from the mountain after every ski day.

Some kids take to it easily and embrace speed. Others are tentative. Make sure you let them be who they are on the hill.

My son had all the natural ability you could ask for and loves skiing, but loves basketball more and school hoops coaches are not fans of in season skiing. My daughter is timid, but is now having a blast in ski club at school.

Enjoy the journey!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post

When you can't get up to the ski hill that's no excuse.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYI7DTcJkRK/
    Grew up in the Laurentians of Quebec. I lived to ski. My parents were dead broke, but my Mom worked at an antique dealer stripping old furniture (no comments), and the guy she worked for ran the ticket booth at La Marquis (now deceased I believe, the ski hill). Anyways, my parents would get a morning half day ticket and my brothers and I would get two…count ‘em two….single ride tickets to the small t-bar.

We climbed the rest of the morning while watching the folks ski past.
    Using Tapatalk

not sure the definaition of " A GROM "but IME groms might be born not made

being 14 month apart we would often get # 1 and # 2 the same stuff, so I get them roller blades at like 6

pretty quik the grom had had sawed the brake off the skates with a wood saw and would instead stop by dragging the toe wheel or the hockey stop, he was doing skating tricks in the skate park ...he was happening

A year later grom had worn the wheels out on the skates, worn bearings/ worn wheels, while the skates belonging to the Tame son were not even broken in yet, but he was out there doing it albeit in a more normal manner, they were both doing it for which I was pretty happy

but the grom had different style
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    Just carry them across flats. We called it free ride and when I said it at the same place on certain runs, they would brace themselves and I would scoop them up at speed, not making them walk.
    If you link up (put your arm around their shoulders) your momentum will carry them across the flats and they still keep their skis on the ground. It gets them there, saves your back and they learn to develop a good glide.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    not sure the definaition of " A GROM "but IME groms might be born not made

being 14 month apart we would often get # 1 and # 2 the same stuff, so I get them roller blades at like 6

pretty quik the grom had had sawed the brake off the skates with a wood saw and would instead stop by dragging the toe wheel or the hockey stop, he was doing skating tricks in the skate park ...he was happening

A year later grom had worn the wheels out on the skates, worn bearings/ worn wheels, while the skates belonging to the Tame son were not even broken in yet, but he was out there doing it albeit in a more normal manner, they were both doing it for which I was pretty happy

but the grom had different style
    Pretty heavy on the naturve side of nature vs nurture with my two. Little sis (8 y/o) is a pretty natural athlete and relative ripper, while big bro (10 y/o) is competent but no where near the aggression the grom has.

I thought grom was just short for grommet which is just a young person who loves surfing. It really thought it had more to do about the love of the sport than how hard they ripped. Some grommets ripped, but all poured out stoke. I guess when I read the OP question I was assuming "how do you create and enthusiast", not a ripper. In the end, I'd much rather my kid love the sport and getting out after it then having him rip but not want to be out there. Has the word "grom" come to mean young ripper? Why don't we juts call them mini rippers? Or minis?

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    I thought grom was just short for grommet which is just a young person who loves surfing. It really thought it had more to do about the love of the sport than how hard they ripped. Some grommets ripped, but all poured out stoke. I guess when I read the OP question I was assuming "how do you create and enthusiast", not a ripper. In the end, I'd much rather my kid love the sport and getting out after it then having him rip but not want to be out there. Has the word "grom" come to mean young ripper? Why don't we juts call them mini rippers? Or minis?
    This is TGR. If your kids not a ripper then go cry in the corner.

...In all seriousness I agree with you.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    grom has the same meaning, to me and my friends, in skiing/boarding as surfing

I was going to implement some of this thread's advice but the snowboarding wife took the 5 year old skiing last weekend without me and got her to turn and stop on her own. There is great shame in this as I'm the skier - but the 5 year old simply decided she would try, finally! So the advice of taking the kid skiing more was spot on IMO - we started to ski more frequently this season and duh, she got confidence to progress.

And the 7 year old is in lessons and 2nd session she is starting some real basic parallel turns and catching air thanks to a good instructor. So everything's OK now - no thanks to me though, ha. I know I can help them progress after they get out of wedging though.

Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post
    Pretty heavy on the naturve side of nature vs nurture with my two. Little sis (8 y/o) is a pretty natural athlete and relative ripper, while big bro (10 y/o) is competent but no where near the aggression the grom has.
    exactly ^^ different style

30 yrs later neither one of them is living in my basement, they both have very sucessful jobs probably make about the same $ but they made a sucess of their lives VERY differently, as differently as when grom sawed the brake off his roller blades or learned to tele in 1/2 hr

Probably even better money wise at least is non grom putting himself thru a 5 yr engineering gig in uni on scholarship and bursury with no prodding from either parent who are no where near as smart
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know