Vehicle Title Drama: how fucked am I?

About a year ago I purchased a gotos AF E350 4x4 Sportsmobile.

It’s a 2003 with a ton (180,000) miles. Solid though, sick van, super stoked. Pop top, kitchen, solar, sleeps 4, etc.

The seller was super honest: it had a clean title from North Dakota (maybe South), but he was honest that at one point ~15 years ago it had been stolen and then recovered in California. The California title was Salvaged.. When he bought it, ___ Dakota reviewed it and said that as it had been recovered it was given a clean title.

After purchase, I took it to get it titled and registered in CO. The clerk did a search and it came back as previously “rebuilt from salvage” even though when I bought it, it had a clear title. So now, my CO Title says “Rebuilt from Salvage” as a “Title Brand”.

Am i completely fucked? I got a good deal on it (probably why) but it seems like the value of my monster-van just got halved.

Do i have any recourse? The seller was honest...and I bought a van with a clear title.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Launder it through Louisiana

you planning on selling? Because if you ain’t, it’s all a moot point.

^^^

The type of buyer your van would appeal to would overlook the title status as an impediment.

And/or get a copy of the clean title from n/s dakota and present it w intent to get a new, clean title from the state you reside in.

It was most likely South Dakota. South Dakota DGAF about registering anything they can get paid for. You don't have to be a resident, you don't even have to have an address in state.
    I have a friend who has several of his vehicles here in California (that would never pass smog here) registered in South Dakota, as well as his big ticket items like his RVs and 1 tons for the cheaper registration renewal and insurance, he swears by it.

I would think the current insane used market markups would make short work of this perceived halving of value.

For a GOTOS van I wouldn't worry about it at all

to my understanding, you still have a clear Title.
    If there was a lien on the vehicle or an outstanding loan, you would not have been able to get a new Title for the van until the lien or the loan had been resolved.
    You just has a 'clear Title' that acknowledges that at one time the van was declared "salvage'.

( it's worth whatever you could sell it for )

have Fun !
    sounds like the rig Schmidt used to drive...

skiJ

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1641870535.806801.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	747.3 KB 
ID:	400640

Thanks guys!

I was considering selling it this spring (just to get a similar rig w/ less miles)…but I’m uncertain.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1641870535.806801.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	747.3 KB 
ID:	400640

Thanks guys!

I was considering selling it this spring (just to get a similar rig w/ less miles)…but I’m uncertain.
    Hit me up if you decide to sell. I could be in the market depending how the next few months go.

Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    It was most likely South Dakota. South Dakota DGAF about registering anything they can get paid for. You don't have to be a resident, you don't even have to have an address in state.
    I have a friend who has several of his vehicles here in California (that would never pass smog here) registered in South Dakota, as well as his big ticket items like his RVs and 1 tons for the cheaper registration renewal and insurance, he swears by it.
    Agreed. SD is also the go-to state to register dirt bikes in which cannot be registered in CA as street legal due to smog. You register said dirt bike that has "off road only" classification in SD and tell them it is "MC" for motorcycle, aka street legal. They will gladly document that on the reg. Then you import the bike to CA which sees MC and will apparently register it here as street legal. I've heard of the CA DMV coming back later and revoking your plates, but it has worked for a lot of riders. YMMV. A friend is currently going thru this with an old XR250. He owns a condo in Moab, so we're suggesting he just register it there.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    you planning on selling? Because if you ain’t, it’s all a moot point.
    I think if you get into an accident, insurance payout could be an issue.

I always thought salvage titled vehicles needed to be stamped "S" somewhere by the salvaging mechanic, and to be titled as salvage, they needed a 'certified VIN inspection' on form 2704, by a 'certified inspector.'
    I wonder if you got a certified VIN inspection, to show that it's not really a salvage, if the clerk could then do a title correction.
    Ask the clerk which box the inspector should check ... 'in lieu of bond' or 'other' would be my guess. CSP from the Montrose troop will have certified inspectors (all troopers are, I think), Montrose SO or PD might have inspectors as well.
    Good luck!
    north bound horse.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Launder it through Louisiana
    Montana is another state that lets you launder a title. Auction companies do it all the time with hail damage.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    I think if you get into an accident, insurance payout could be an issue.
    The insurance company would see the title before insuring. They can’t then deny coverage if smashed up.

Case in point - I bought a theft recovery merc at auction. Branded title. Great vehicle - until a distracted driver rear-ended it. Totalled. Insurance was no problem once we argued a little over comparables. Payout was more than I paid for it.

Short answer is yes, you are probably screwed if the title is now in your name and shows salvage.

It'll likely decline resale value, but not as much as it would have a few years ago.

What would you be looking to get out of it? That rig looks like what we've been looking at.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

It all depends on if you paid market price for a clean title vehicle or paid much lower due to the known history. I think your only problem is IF you wreck or try to sell at this point. I guess the other work around is get a mail order South Dakota wife and retitle clean to her address and keep it that way.