the most beautiful place in the whole wide world

Please tell me about cycling in Ireland

I'm mostly a fan of xc mtb, prefer long singletrack routes with lots of vert. Also really enjoy big gravel rides. Enjoy cx and mtb racing (endurance distances). What's the riding, scene like in Ireland? Favorite towns to be close to cycling? thanks.

All the cool kids go to Scotland to ride. Search out springsproject's posts from the last couple years or look up HT550.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    All the cool kids go to Scotland to ride. Search out springsproject's posts from the last couple years or look up HT550.
    I know, I'm a big fan of springsproject's TRs, especially since we both appear to have a penchant for single gears. Thinking of Ireland as less of a bike vacation option and more of a permanent residency option, with hopefully good biking.

Quote Originally Posted by chaka View Post
    I know, I'm a big fan of springsproject's TRs, especially since we both appear to have a penchant for single gears. Thinking of Ireland as less of a bike vacation option and more of a permanent residency option, with hopefully good biking.
    I work with many from Ireland and while there's some good stuff, they make heavy use of their EU passports to hit all the good stuff all around Europe.

The majority of what’s there is mostly south of Dublin. But not a huge ‘scene’, really, from what I gather. I have only toured there…

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B7CBF708-8602-4513-B0E5-B2802472DE93.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	696.9 KB 
ID:	400621
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

But you live in the most beautiful place in the whole wide world. Why would you want to move?

Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
    But you live in the most beautiful place in the whole wide world.
    Ogden?

I'm mostly a fan of xc mtb, prefer long singletrack routes with lots of vert.
    Have you been to Ireland? The highest peak is 1000 meters. But DUB-GVA flights are cheap.

Thanks for the comments thus far! Some more context.... Ireland is one of a few short list countries we're considering moving to once kids off to college. Many factors being considered, one of which is decent xc mtb and gravel riding. I have not been to Ireland, and of course would visit for extended periods of time before deciding to move. Consider this early research. Scotland also in the running, which I know has better riding. Ireland is a bit of a mystery to me, which is why I started the thread.

I know Ireland in general lacks mountainous terrain, but also know its easy to pick up quite a bit of vert on rolling terrain in and around <1000 meter peaks... point being massive alps style climbs are not a requirement.

Sounds like no one so far has chimed in with "Ireland is fantastic for riding!" good data.

I’ve done a bit of mtb riding on the west coast around Ballyvaughan and north of Galway in Donegal. It was 20 years ago, so I’d assume things have changed. I didn’t find much singletrack, but Donegal had some. I’d guess there is some more by now.
    I think a gravel bike would be a good weapon. There are a ton of “Green Roads” - old Roman era ‘roads’ that people use for trekking. Not sure of bikes are allowed at this point, but that’s what I was riding around Ballyvaughan and in the Burren.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The skiing sucks.

Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Chaka - you do realize that Ireland, is not Denmark yes? You know where I stand

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    Chaka - you do realize that Ireland, is not Denmark yes? You know where I stand
    ha. Denmark is even flatter We should talk... we've been scheming.