Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    All you need is a pair of Dynafits and a Trust Fund
    Which really demeans the rest of us who have worked for decades to refine our skills, but never went for the pin.

Sent from my SM-A600A using Tapatalk

Well, you always have that sorority pin.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

If they aren't putting you and your party in any danger I'd mind my own business. We've all made questionable decisions and no one appreciates being reprimanded by the safety police.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by Rudimatt7 View Post
    Labeling yourself a guide in America doesn’t mean that much. What’s happened in the San Juan’s is proof of that.
    What's happened in the San Juans?
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    If they aren't putting you and your party in any danger I'd mind my own business. We've all made questionable decisions and no one appreciates being reprimanded by the safety police.

I can name a few other instances in CO where a guided group had a bad day due to the poor decision making by the guide.

If you are being compensated to lead a group and calling yourself a guide(and teacher), you should be prepared to receive criticism and take it seriously. You should be constantly trying to up your game to attempt to provide a safe trip for your guests, who have less experience, knowledge, and skill than you do.

This isn't about two private groups criticizing each other to boost egos, this is about a guide taking unnecessary risks with clients while in the roll of teacher and guide.
    Last edited by Name Redacted; 01-24-2022 at 08:48 AM.

Where’s does one begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    A lot of things happen in the SJ's, but one incident in particular last season killed three upstanding members of the Eagle community and they were being led by a guide. I can name a few other instances in CO where a guided group had a bad day due to the poor decision making by the guide.

If you are being compensated to lead a group and calling yourself a guide(and teacher), you should be prepared to receive criticism and take it seriously. You should be constantly trying to up your game to attempt to provide a safe trip for your guests, who have less experience, knowledge, and skill than you do.

This isn't about two private groups criticizing each other to boost egos, this is about a guide taking unnecessary risks with clients while in the roll of teacher and guide.

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    All you need is a pair of Dynafits and a Trust Fund
    So true.

A lot of things happen in the SJ's, but one incident in particular last season killed three upstanding members of the Eagle community and they were being led by a guide. I can name a few other instances in CO where a guided group had a bad day due to the poor decision making by the guide.

This may not be the place to get into this but was there a reason this wasn't mentioned in the CAIC report?

I also was unaware that the Nose accident was a guided group. Please expound
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

A lot of things happen in the SJ's, but one incident in particular last season killed three upstanding members of the Eagle community and they were being led by a guide.

I presume you’re talking about the nose? I am not aware that they were being guided.

Maybe you’re getting the Sen. Beck Basin incident from 2019 confused?

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    I presume you’re talking about the nose? I am not aware that they were being guided.

Maybe you’re getting the Sen. Beck Basin incident from 2019 confused?
    My apologies guys, I somehow had it in my head that they were being guided. Maybe I heard that and wasn't public knowledge, or I just got it mixed up with another accident. I have edited my comment to delete that claim.

I do however stand by the rest of the comment, and there have been other high profile accidents where the group was being guided.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    X2. Let's hear it.

Most of the guides I know are pretty talented at what they do, but they're certainly not perfect.

When I worked for the CAIC and took courses/classes out into the field, I knew I was "the guide" that had to be as close to perfect as I could be. I always asked my students to question what I was doing (i.e., leading them this or that way, where I stopped, etc..). A lot of times students/clients are afraid/intimidated by their instructor/guide to say anything. In this case I think that was what was happening. The clients should have spoken up.....
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

I do however stand by the rest of the comment, and there have been other high profile accidents where the group was being guided.
    As a professional in the biz I appreciate this dialogue. Can you briefly mention the events you know of?

There is a habit of keeping people in an information drought when it comes to involvements with professional organizations. When a fatality is involved the truth typically comes, but what of the near misses?
    A close Canadian friend and veteran guide speaks of severe withholding of information among services. To the point that INFOEX reports are not complete or accurate. So what slips through the cracks?
    Do we want all of this information to hold professionals accountable or are we interested in learning from the mistakes?

Communication.

We were skiing in a guided group from the Grands Montets towards the Argentiere Glacier. One of the group mentioned that he had fallen into a crevasse in the area with a different guide the day before. Our guide spent quite of time questioning the guy about exactly where it happened. (This was a low snow year with a lot of crevasse incidents, including an Italian guide killed on the regular VB from the Italian side.)

On the opposite end of the spectrum--skiing in a guided group in AK I triggered and was mostly buried in a small slide. There was no mention of the incident to any of the other guides or clients at the lodge. Maybe the slide was felt to be too small to mention? I was surprised that by the end of the week no one I mentioned it to was aware it had happened.