Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    >100 waisted skis are fine EC if you have strong legs and are constantly in the trees chasing thin cover lines. If you're ripping inbounds terrain, the other comments are spot-on in that 80-90 do-it-all ski and having a skinny ice carver is max fun. I spent most of my 20's flinging explosivs around and they were great, but required significant conditioning and didn't have the lateral quickness for some tree lines. I think metal is key, ideally mated to real wood sandwich construction. Every cap ski I had blew out in a season or so from tagging a rock or ice chunk.

Also, if anyone starts making this a dick-measuring contest, it's already over, as basom and mildbill spent a season skiing spatulas every day on the east coast.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    >100 waisted skis are fine EC if you have strong legs and are constantly in the trees chasing thin cover lines. If you're ripping inbounds terrain, the other comments are spot-on in that 80-90 do-it-all ski and having a skinny ice carver is max fun. I spent most of my 20's flinging explosivs around and they were great, but required significant conditioning and didn't have the lateral quickness for some tree lines. I think metal is key, ideally mated to real wood sandwich construction. Every cap ski I had blew out in a season or so from tagging a rock or ice chunk.
    Agree to cover all the bases with a bigger quiver, pun intended.. but thread titles says ""East Coast Firm Snow Ski".

And ya, no point on arguing about who is a better skier than whom. Relax and have fun. Having the right ski for the conditions at hand facilitates that level of "fun"..

If all you got is a 100+ rockered ski you're probably not going to be chasing the firm snow. You're going to be bushwhacking, not relevant to this thread topic.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Got to click into a buddy's pair of Line Blades on a WROD day at Big Sky (ie, a decent day back east). They would probably delam after a season and a half but they made shitty snow fun.
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    The Fischer RC One GT 86 could fit the bill. Decently still, will carve, but should be more versatile than the Deacon's. Basically a poor man's Laser AX.

I think a good two ski quiver for the east would be your Deacons plus something 95-100mm.
    I hadn't heard of that ski. Yeah - that might be a good call. I skied a Head Monster 88 for years that I adored. It was my only resort ski for a while, but it's been skied hundreds of days and is kinda done.

Mid last season, I bought a Stockli Stormrider 95 for good snow, and I love it. It's sooo easy to ski, yet it has a great top end that is rarely needed out east.
    So, kinda spoiled. This is just what I do when there's no snow...day dream about other skis to buy that I don't need.

Salomon X-drive 8.8 aren't made anymore but are super impressive skiing fast on hardpack while maintaining some manoeuvrability in the bumps and shallow pow.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post
    Salomon X-drive 8.8 aren't made anymore but are super impressive skiing fast on hardpack while maintaining some manoeuvrability in the bumps and shallow pow.
    Last couple of “firm” days I’ve been using the current Salomon S-Force 8.0ti and liking them. No bumps yet (too icy) but had a bit of shallow pow recently and they performed well. I’ve actually been having fun on the ice with them.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Agree to cover all the bases with a bigger quiver, pun intended.. but thread titles says ""East Coast Firm Snow Ski".

And ya, no point on arguing about who is a better skier than whom. Relax and have fun. Having the right ski for the conditions at hand facilitates that level of "fun"..

If all you got is a 100+ rockered ski you're probably not going to be chasing the firm snow. You're going to be bushwhacking, not relevant to this thread topic.
    I mainly noted that as I did plenty of that on firm snow days. Very little of it ended up good, but a lot was entertaining (turns out edges don't work on 2 inches of fluff over leaves).

I love a good EC ski argument.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I love a good EC ski argument.
    What is the ultimate upstate ski?

Sent from the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    What is the ultimate upstate ski?

Sent from the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen
    This is an ultimate upstate ski thread, because that's where I'm based. And if we want to get really specific, we could split it whiteface, gore, vs Adirondack touring!

Ok then I vote for a Mantra or Stance as my current favorite EC firm condition skis.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Sounds like Marshal’s R87 is what op needs. Built like Monster 88 but flat camber and a little tip rocker and taper.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    The Fischer RC One GT 86 could fit the bill. Decently still, will carve, but should be more versatile than the Deacon's. Basically a poor man's Laser AX.

I think a good two ski quiver for the east would be your Deacons plus something 95-100mm.
    I have them... great ski... except I ski about every weekend with my family (son is 6 and his 3rd season) out at Mountain Creek and find them to heavy by the end of the day maneuvering around all the weekend traffic (14.3lbs)... just bought some Head Kore 93's just for the purpose of how light they are and edge hold (10.4lbs) (2021 not 2022... heard 2022 too stiff unless your a 240# aggressive skier)... as for the Fischer's... I have a condo ski in/out rented for Mount Snow President week where they should feel at home...

Some say the Head Kore 93's are the east coast one quiver since they are good not only on piste but also trees and bumps since they are so maneuverable cause of the light weight/ design etc.... We'll see....
    Last edited by JJeastcoast; 01-19-2022 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrider83 View Post
    Now hold up...I'm not talking good conditions, and don't think you can get away with just saying a race ski. I'm talking a ski with great edge hold that can rail the boilerplate relatively well, but is also not an absolute chore if you're taking it in bumps, releasing the tail, etc. I had a pair of Volkl Deacon Pro 76s...they're pretty dang good, but not the best bump ski, but they're very reasonable. I had a Head Monster 88 for years that I absolutely loved. I think that it's almost a perfect one ski for out east....but it really doesn't have the same edge hold. I'm guessing some type of Stockli laser would be a strong contender, or maybe Blizzard Firebird HRC. Thoughts?
    Find a monster 82 if you want a little more grip than the 88, though tuned properly and pressure applied correctly, I didn’t have an issue on the 88’s either. The 82 will ski all over the mountain and it can get loose if needed yet set RR tracks on ice.
    Marshals new 87 sounds killer as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    Posing? No. 20 years younger and can ski circles around you? Most definitely
    I wouldn't bet on that if I were you.....
    Only one way to settle this ladies.
    SKI OFF!!!!
    Please film it for our enjoyment!

Quote Originally Posted by turnfarmer View Post
    Sounds like Marshal’s R87 is what op needs. Built like Monster 88 but flat camber and a little tip rocker and taper.
    Forgive me... but I searched for these Marshal skis and can't find any info on them... I'm very interested in checking them out and would appreciate any info you could forward... thanks in advance...

Quote Originally Posted by JJeastcoast View Post
    Forgive me... but I searched for these Marshal skis and can't find any info on them... I'm very interested in checking them out and would appreciate any info you could forward... thanks in advance...
    https://heritagelabskis.com/products/r87

Ice 60s-70s
    100% groomers 70s-80s
    Trees 80s-90s

If your east coast daily driver is > 100 you're a total poser
    A cheater GS ski works great for both 1 and 2... but depends on the mood I'm in and how hard I want to work. If i'm being lazy, a mid 70's ski with a more radius works great for both as well. But either way, usually same ski.

Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    Also check out the thread:
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ted-Love-Songs

Marshal is being quite responsive to questions/feedback in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Ok then I vote for a Mantra or Stance as my current favorite EC firm condition skis.
    But shorter than one may use in the west. I'm on a Mantra like ski in the trees and powder, the Meier Doc, but, at 174 for shorter turns, and I keep them sharp. My Voikl M102s are awesome for fast cruising.

I haven't even skied my Kore 93 yet and I'm already eyeing Fischer Ranger 94 FR......... every single video about them just says awesome things about them... they say lots of grip and still very playful and can handle the speed... sounds almost to good to be true... lol... I got the Kore's for a real good price so I might get the Fischers this year if I come by a good deal... if not for sure next year...
    Last edited by JJeastcoast; 01-22-2022 at 11:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJeastcoast View Post
    I haven't even skied my Kore 93 yet and I'm already eyeing Fischer Ranger 94 FR......... every single video about them just says awesome things about them... they say lots of grip and still very playful and can handle the speed... sounds almost to good to be true... lol... I got the Kore's for a real good price so I might get the Fischers this year if I come by a good deal... if not for sure next year...

probably a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    probably a good choice.
    Yea.... looks like everybody else thought so too for 169cm length..... lol.... I'll have to buy early next year...
    Last edited by JJeastcoast; 01-26-2022 at 12:35 AM.

177cm Monster 83 is my favorite groomer, thick cover bump and trees with no new snow. Its super damp, stable, no rocker and I wish I could find another pair of 177cm..., These are my daily if I going to be on almost all groomers lives in my stowe locker room never goes to Jay.

183cm Brahma 88 is almsot as good on groomer but better in bumps and trees and light powder I am more willing to ding the edge on mine. These are my true daily at Stowe and Jay

I also own a a 187cm Brahma 82 that I basically use a maching groomer ski, with some bumps thrown in. It feels big in woods but ok in cut glades.

I also have skied some 182cm Stance 90s, good ski but not as good as Brahma 88 IMO. tougher to ski in bumps(but not tough) with out anything really to show for it on groomers.

Also been on some 182cm Fischer PM GT86, loved this ski but its never on stock on the pro site. it probably the best all arounder in the 80-90mm class. Carves nicely but can ski loose and drifty as well. It skis different enough from a Brahma 88 that I could justify both in my never end quiver.

IMO Kores are not even the same sentence, They are stiff but kind of pings and wider than ideal in tracked out bumps and woods, well maybe the 88 is better but it still not damp and get tossed easily.