Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

What is the ultimate East Coast Firm Snow Ski

Now hold up...I'm not talking good conditions, and don't think you can get away with just saying a race ski. I'm talking a ski with great edge hold that can rail the boilerplate relatively well, but is also not an absolute chore if you're taking it in bumps, releasing the tail, etc. I had a pair of Volkl Deacon Pro 76s...they're pretty dang good, but not the best bump ski, but they're very reasonable. I had a Head Monster 88 for years that I absolutely loved. I think that it's almost a perfect one ski for out east....but it really doesn't have the same edge hold. I'm guessing some type of Stockli laser would be a strong contender, or maybe Blizzard Firebird HRC. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Adrider83; 01-11-2022 at 08:22 AM.

Laser AX.

RAX

MX89 or MX99
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I’ll sell you a HRC. Brand new. One run on it. Felt like racing again. Gross.

I ski a Corvus ever single day. And I live in Vermont. But to each there own. I bet you would like a Brahma. Or a B97. Or an enforcer. Wasn’t there just a thread about “east coast blah day ski” or something. Pretty much every day on the east coast is blah at this point.

but ya. Let me know if you want an HRC. In a 175. With xcell 16s.

Mantra M6 (all versions) have been my go to ski for all conditions in New England.

Ice 60s-70s
    100% groomers 70s-80s
    Trees 80s-90s

If your east coast daily driver is > 100 you're a total poser
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Ice 60s-70s
    100% groomers 70s-80s
    Trees 80s-90s

Not to sound harsh, but I tend to agree that anything over 100 is overkill 95% of time out east. When I moved back home from CO, I was skiing an old Kastle FX104 with dynafits every day the first season. It wasn't too fun anywhere except touring or at Jay. Could I ski them in all conditions decently well - sure..but I wasn't maximizing the fun. Then I went to head monsters, now I have these Volkl Deacon Pros 76, now I'm thinking about getting a pair of Stocklis under 70mm. Going narrower made a world of difference in my enjoyment on the crappy days. Even good snow out east...Stockli Stormrider 95 for resort and Black Crowes Camox Freebird for touring. I don't really have the need for anything wider in the Adirondacks...though I miss the days of bombing around on my wider skis out west.

Bwahahaa!

Quote Originally Posted by Adrider83 View Post
    I had a Head Monster 88 for years that I absolutely loved. I think that it's almost a perfect one ski for out east...
    I agree and really enjoy my Monster 88’s for resort days on the l’East Coast. A good tune with a sharp 3* side bevel wakes them up when it gets wicked hahd.

Ice 60s-70s
    100% groomers 70s-80s
    Trees 80s-90s

Total poser loving my M5 102.
    Other patrollers using newer Mantras every day in all conditions. Haven't heard a negative comment yet.

Quote Originally Posted by HHTELE View Post
    Total poser loving my M5 102.
    Other patrollers using newer Mantras every day in all conditions. Haven't heard a negative comment yet.
    If you want to haul my fat ass down a steep icy EAST COAST groomer with rockered fatties power to you.. But PLEASE give me the full burrito wrap so those turned up tails don't spray me in the face the entire way..

I picked up some SpeedZones from Cinnepa that work rather nicely.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Enforcer 88 seems to work well overall, but for real firm stuff I agree with smartyiak. Those plate bindings are a bit heavy, but skis do fine in the bumps.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post

Head iTitan
    You Will Respect My Authoritah!

Ice 60s-70s
    100% groomers 70s-80s
    Trees 80s-90s

Posing? No. 20 years younger and can ski circles around you? Most definitely

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    Come on bud - no need to go there. To each their own. When I was younger, I thought narrower, short turn radius skis were for dweebs. No doubt you can ski a wider cambered ski in pretty much all conditions. I used to subscribe to that philosophy. But when the terrain is limited and the conditions make you question your life choices, I have realized that I have more fun on a ski that can grip like no other.

I did find that alternative "blah east coast day" ski thread after making this one. I don't think they're entirely redundant. I guess I'm essentially asking...what's the grippiest ski with the right turn radius and profile for narrower northeast trails and perhaps not a total chore to release the tail. Probably somewhat of a paradox. I would think that Blizzard HRC is a good contender, but it's probably too similar to the Volkl Deacon Pro 76.

I wouldn't bet on that if I were you.. What I would bet on is that you're not riding the ideal ski designed for typical ice coast conditions. I get a good laugh watching you fools flopping those snow skis side to side on ice. Doable? Can I do it? Absolutely.. But I prefer not to. Maybe someday you can afford a quiver...

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    ha, great! i actually picked up another pair of the same ski, .....needed around here. glad i could help. also grabbed head instinct ti pros off my neighbor who was giving them away....nice edgehold, damp, 83 underfoot, so a little more versatile. 88 enforcer for anything not bulletproof.....104 frees for the very rare snowdays near me.

Icy groomers and bumps/trees = 2 different skis IMO.

Build a quiver my friend.

Your bump/tree ski (80s-90s) will be able to handle ice just fine if it's tuned, but your ice ski (60s) will make it much more fun when you're night skiing at the wawa and the groomers are your only option.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    Icy groomers and bumps/trees = 2 different skis IMO.

Build a quiver my friend.

Your bump/tree ski (80s-90s) will be able to handle ice just fine if it's tuned, but your ice ski (60s) will make it much more fun when you're night skiing at the wawa and there are no other options.
    I tend to think this is right.

I’m putting my money on SumJongGuy. Pretty sure he scrapes the wax off his skis…

The Fischer RC One GT 86 could fit the bill. Decently still, will carve, but should be more versatile than the Deacon's. Basically a poor man's Laser AX.

I think a good two ski quiver for the east would be your Deacons plus something 95-100mm.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    I’m putting my money on SumJongGuy. Pretty sure he scrapes the wax off his skis…
    Ski smarter, not harder..

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post

Your bump/tree ski (80s-90s) will be able to handle ice just fine if it's tuned, but your ice ski (60s) will make it much more fun when you're night skiing at the wawa and the groomers are your only option.
    My dedicated bump ski is mid 60s 179cm K2 Cabrawler. I'm good with mid 80s for leftover mashed tater bumps of course..