Haines to Juneau travel options (AK noob question)

Looking into return options from Haines to Juneau the weekend of March 12/13. It looks like Sunday ferry got cancelled/removed from the schedule. Is seaplane the only option these days?

Anyone has experience with flying between Haines and Juneau? I understand that weather is a crap shoot, the question is... Is it absolute "not a chance" option or reasonable odds of making it out?

Random pic from Valahalla 2 years ago for stoke...

Name:  122935988_3564485406907023_5942809306772395886_n.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  48.9 KB

Looks like the ferry is only running seven days the month of March, so your options are limited to flying. I have had success flying home more often than not, but you have to watch the weather. I usually fly on alaskaseaplanes and book a refundable ticket that has an option to change days. I have also flown with Drake. Since Drake is a charter, you can customize your departure time a bit more. If it looks like your departure date may not be flyable, then pull the plug and leave on the last flyable day late afternoon or plan on staying until the weather clears, which can be a long wait.

You could potentially drive. 756 miles to anchorage. Not sure I would advise the attempt.

Haines to Juneau travel options (AK noob question)

The seaplanes will fly unless totally socked in. Think we’ve been lucky but over 8 trips would say 85% is average-be aware they will leave early if weather coming in so be early if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by otto parts; 01-10-2022 at 12:14 AM.
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

Fly. It usually goes. If they don't think it's safe to fly, they won't, and you'll just chill out for another day in Haines and wait and it will all work itself out and be OK. Because it's Alaska, you check your uptight on-schedule mentality back in Seattle. It's hard to explain, you'll see when you get there. The other reason is if they push it in weather up there, you might fly into the side of the mountain, or have to ditch into ocean in the Lynn canal never to be found or seen again.

I lived in Juneau for 7 years and flew medevac in Lynn Canal between Haines/Skagway/Juneau a LOT. Hard to predict, but like others said, most days (maybe 75%) it’s doable. Other times it’s not for 24 hours, but usually not days on end.

Thanks all! Much appreciated. Totally understood about not bringing uptight attitude on this one... There are options to go through Whitehorse with 2 border crossings each way and a bunch of driving, but that is a different headache.

Seaplanes. They have flown me in some god awful weather, which was probably completely safe as well. I'm just betting on the pilot not being suicidal and putting my faith in him.

Thanks, @LiveLarger.

Just got back from the trip... a few notes in case someone stumbles on this thread.

1. Took ferry on the way there. Some guys heading to Haines were planning on seaplanes, but got turned around part way. I guess there was an issue 1/2 way to Haines where glaciers meet the water. They ended up jumping on 11 am ferry, instead of 7am flight.

2. We had 13 of us so we planned on taking 2 seaplanes back, private charter of sorts. They were very accommodating, the plan was to try for Saturday, if that did not work, go Sunday morning.

3. We lucked out with 4 bluebird days right out of the gate, flew Sunday afternoon, Monday, Tuesday, most of Wednesday. Blew through all hobbs hours we prepaid for and had to break out credit cards for extras.

4. Weather moved in on Thursday, so we jumped on the ferry and got out of town. Seaplane folks gave full refund due to storm moving in. Ferry schedules are still a mess due to COVID and equipment issues.

All in all most efficient heli trip ever. 7 days door to door from Boston, 4 days in the heli.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	275485864_10159761495797486_6930915933743310366_n.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	132.2 KB 
ID:	409398

Name:	IMG_3134.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	409399

Name:	IMG_3161.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	409400

Name:	IMG_3079.jpg 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	409401

Quote Originally Posted by eug View Post
    Ferry schedules are still a mess due to COVID and equipment issues.
    Blame the state budget/oil revenue/etc and Dunleavy for the ferry, not covid. Ferry went to shit in about 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    Blame the state budget/oil revenue/etc and Dunleavy for the ferry, not covid. Ferry went to shit in about 2019.
    I stand corrected - just wanted to mention that schedules are still kind of random.

Alaska heli or Seaba? Glad to see you got some good conditions and weather!
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

Alaska heli. Got a full Seandog experience!

Just got back from the trip... a few notes in case someone stumbles on this thread.

1. Took ferry on the way there. Some guys heading to Haines were planning on seaplanes, but got turned around part way. I guess there was an issue 1/2 way to Haines where glaciers meet the water. They ended up jumping on 11 am ferry, instead of 7am flight.

2. We had 13 of us so we planned on taking 2 seaplanes back, private charter of sorts. They were very accommodating, the plan was to try for Saturday, if that did not work, go Sunday morning.

3. We lucked out with 4 bluebird days right out of the gate, flew Sunday afternoon, Monday, Tuesday, most of Wednesday. Blew through all hobbs hours we prepaid for and had to break out credit cards for extras.

4. Weather moved in on Thursday, so we jumped on the ferry and got out of town. Seaplane folks gave full refund due to storm moving in. Ferry schedules are still a mess due to COVID and equipment issues.

All in all most efficient heli trip ever. 7 days door to door from Boston, 4 days in the heli.

Name:	275485864_10159761495797486_6930915933743310366_n.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	132.2 KB 
ID:	409398

Name:	IMG_3134.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	409399

Name:	IMG_3161.jpg 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	409400

Name:	IMG_3079.jpg 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	409401
    Yes! Real Stoke!!

Alaska heli. Got a full Seandog experience!
    Seandog!

Haven’t heard that name in forever.

I was there a while ago and accommodations got fucked due to the funny farm burning down. Seandog let us stay in his house for like 5 days (he stayed somewhere else).

Is Bruce still around? That guy is hilarious.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I do not think I met Bruce. They just stood up A-frame on the property that we stayed at. Did not have to drive in the morning, but it was more of a hut trip experience but with helis, no doors, 2 bathrooms for 19 people... No complaints though - we were there for skiing.

Looking forward to a full TR?