Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Water pipe bursts at Beech Mtn NC, chaos ensues

It could not have been any worse. Having your chair stop right in it must have sucked very much. And then stopped soaking wet after. Wow.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    It could not have been any worse. Having your chair stop right in it must have sucked very much. And then stopped soaking wet after. Wow.
    Apparently that guy was frozen to the chair... YT commenters said it was 15*F when it happened, that guy's lucky he isn't dead.

(easy to say from the comfort of my living room) but ski patrol should have called for a snowmobile or better yet a groomer to park over the water stream, while finding the water shut off valve. From the video it seemed they were pretty slow to respond, and totally useless in that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    That fire hose blasting blew two people OFF another chair that passed over that before it stopped.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Wonder if there was a lodge at the top they could have warmed up in. Imagine having to ski back down, soaked, in that weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    Wonder if there was a lodge at the top they could have warmed up in. Imagine having to ski back down, soaked, in that weather.
    There is.. Nice sky bar at the summit of Beech, the highest lift served skiing east of the Mississippi..
    Name:  5506-Skybar-CREDIT-Sam-Dean-Photography-600x362.jpg
Views: 1434
Size:  52.7 KB

Holy shitballs. No one had the bar down going through the water jet and then everyone jumped off the lift when it wasn't even necessary at that point. All they had to do was stop the lift and rescue people off the chairs but.....the lift stopped then kept going?? And then stopped right above the jet?? Some really bad luck and bad choices made that insane.

what a shitshow.
    swing your fucking sword.

Pretty easy to armchair quarterback how to have done a better job with this, but it seems pretty much impossible to come up with a worse response.

ski patrol should have called for a snowmobile or better yet a groomer to park over the water stream, while finding the water shut off valve.
    That’s a good idea. Gotta admit, I’m too dumb to have thought of that.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Just when it was finally starting to look like Beech had their decades of infrastructure issues resolved. Three times in the past 15 years one or two of their lifts were broken down when I went to ski there. Only once was it so bad that they had to close down early for the day.. Like at 10 am.

I'm hoping this is quickly resolved. No doubt the horrible conditions over the holiday break have them in a bad spot financially. They need that water going up the mountain to keep terrain open and keep the cash flowing in.

Is this what happens when you offend the redhead lifty?

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Is this what happens when you offend the redhead lifty?
    This looks like the workings of one of the meth head lifties.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    This looks like the workings of one of the meth head lifties.
    Those ops dudes need something extra to keep working all night long..

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Those ops dudes need something extra to keep working all night long..
    I'm well aware; I was one. Redbull sufficed for me.

------

"Resort management say the rupture happened when a guest, who remains uninjured, skied into the water and air hydrant during snowmaking operations."​

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    ------

"Resort management say the rupture happened when a guest, who remains uninjured, skied into the water and air hydrant during snowmaking operations."​
    Bullshit, had to be a snowboarder..

Isnt that just a snow making water main, altho it does seem like a lot of pressure ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Resort management say the rupture happened when a guest, who remains uninjured, skied into the water and air hydrant during snowmaking operations.
    well I hope they update us once they injure said guest.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

(easy to say from the comfort of my living room) but ski patrol should have called for a snowmobile or better yet a groomer to park over the water stream, while finding the water shut off valve. From the video it seemed they were pretty slow to respond, and totally useless in that situation.

snowmobile would’ve been tossed like a toy…. groomer was probably in the barn during operations. driving a $300,000.00 machine through a large crowd of panicked folks wouldn’t be my first move. would’ve destroyed the groomer too.

just turning off the pumps would not have stopped that geyser. when the pumps turn off, all that water that was heading uphill gets drawn back down by our pal gravity. the air system would take several hours to bleed out through that relatively small hole.

pretty similar to stratton’s 2018 blowout.

if i was operating that control room, i would’ve slammed off the pumps and compressors when the massive pressure drops and pump overcurrents occurred. then i would’ve sent the snowmakers to open every air and water valve on the mountain to relive the pressure as so as possible.

but that still takes a long time. gotta understand what happened, mobilize the crew, and cover alotta ground to make that happen.

and that’s assuming they were even making snow at the time. they could’ve just been holding the system in a charged state to speed the snowmaking startup as soon as the public got off the hill at the end of the ski day.

as to why they would kept the lift operating during this is completely beyond me. all i can figure is that the lift operators top and bottom were probably being screamed at by customers, patrol, lift supervisors, and management. i’m sure the radio chatter was very confusing at that point. even with proper training, it would’ve taken them some time to understand exactly what was happening. it’s not easy to get a lift to stop exactly where you want it to.

rough day at work at work for those folks.

if i had witnessed several folks getting blown off the chairs ahead off me, i would completely understand the decision to jump.

Somebody give those people a hot cocoa voucher.

Gives new meaning to “I have abrasions. HOW CAN I BE COMPENSATED?”

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post

as to why they would kept the lift operating during this is completely beyond me. all i can figure is that the lift operators top and bottom were probably being screamed at by customers, patrol, lift supervisors, and management. i’m sure the radio chatter was very confusing at that point. even with proper training, it would’ve taken them some time to understand exactly what was happening. it’s not easy to get a lift to stop exactly where you want it to.

rough day at work at work for those folks.
    All likely true. I don't know how hard it is to get a lift to stop in a specific place, but I am sure it isn't easy. It seems likely someone reported it and they tried to stop the lift and it stopped with poor guy on top of the stream.

I don't know enough about snowmaking systems and hard to tell from this video WTF is broken. Rough day for everyone! Let's hope everyone is just rattled and nobody badly hurt.

------

Extremist Gaper Terrorism! Suicide Bomber!