Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Tennis 2022

Tennis 2022

ATP cup is a great start to the season. I like the playing for your country aspect of it. Seen a few of the canadian lad's matches and it's great to multi-task doing dog physio (icing, massage, heat, passive range of motion exercises and stretching) and take in a whack of good tennis.

Sittin back while Maisie is sleeping/icing her knee (TPLO surgery), sipping .a rye and coke (that never happens) and watching FAA get his ass whupped by Medvedev. M ed is looking all of the #2 he is. Very strong. One of the announcers said the guy plays so far back in the court, that he'd be beyond the fence of a standard court. It's crazy, the guy is almost tripping on the mikes. I never realized the guy was so d5eep. He's like the meanest backboard you've ever played against. Colour guy suggested that style wouldn't be possible but for the string technology that's come along in the last 15 years. Word is that the new strings are going to make the courts get bigger.

Another thing I'm digging about this ATP Cup format is the: 2 singles matches and a doubles match (to decide the tie). The doubles match is fast with a revised scoring system. When you get to deuce, it's next point wins. The team receiving serve can pick who gets it. We play this format at my buddies court when there's guys waiting to play, it's good makes the sets go quick.
    Also if it's tied a set each, you play a tiebreak first to 10, gotta win by 2 format.

So FAA and Shapo just got on the court against Med and Saifullin. The canucks pulled off an upset against the brit doubles team. Should be fun to watch. I never played a ton of doubles until the last few years (cause I'm old fat and slow), so I've grown a better appreciation for it. This match is to get into the final. Let's go boys eh! Pouring another!

Maybe I'll be cross-posting in the get drunk, post as much as you can thread.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Jebus, almost forgot to mention Djoko not getting stabbed and now is trapped in a shitty hotel with bad food (as his mommy complained to the press at least) and may well be deported. Well played Novak, well played.
    hahahaha. fuck.

And. just who the hell is this saifullin guy anyway.

edit. Nice win by the canucks. Damn I thought the russkies had us. Cool, we're in the final. Sort of cool that both sides of the net have known their partners since 12. Med, said he was always scared getting Saifullin in the draw when he was a kid. I sure like Shapo and FAA as a doubles team.

Finally, Aussie Open is going to be good.
    Last edited by garyfromterrace; 01-08-2022 at 01:40 AM.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Djok trying a Hail Mary to stay in Australia and be able to play. I hope they deny him. He knew the rules.

Nadal summed it up nicely.

I can’t start Djok. Smiling from afar as this plays out.

Djok facing possibly three year ban from Australia if he loses his appeal (3 year ban is the punishment Australia imposes when someone gets their visa revoked and they are deported). Djok claims his exemption was based on a mid-December positive COVID test.

Tennis might be the only sport we have for awhile if things keep getting worse pandemically. At least for the actual game itself, it's among the safest. Nobody face to face, body to body out on the court or on the benches breathing on eachother.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Choke is so hungry for a 21st major, he can taste it. Probably paying his lawyer team 100s of thousands. He knew the rule. Sure hope, after all this, that Australia holds firm. Otherwise, hit me again. Mama’s boy.

I laughed at France already declaring Joker will be allowed in exempted from their mandates... Because they're still pissed at Australia over those submarines..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Damn, I just saw two of the most beautiful points. FAA against Bautista agut. Superb final happening in the ATP cup final.

Shapo played a very nice match to win. Go team.

Damn fine tennis, canukidstan ruled the court today

Novak Djokovic Can Remain in Australia, Judge Rules

The judge, stated, “The point I’m somewhat agitated about is, what more could this man have done?”

The judge scrutinized a transcript of the tennis player’s interaction with border officials at the airport, pointing out that he was “incommunicado” from 4 a.m., when he complied with an order to turn off his cellphone.

According to the judge, the authorities promised to let Djokovic speak to his team and Tennis Australia at 8:30 a.m., only to cancel his visa at 7:42 a.m.

Despite the judge ruling against the government, the government has hinted that they haven't given up the fight. The government will ask the minister for Immigration, Citizenship, Migrant Services and Multicultural Affairs, Alex Hawke, if he "will consider whether to exercise a personal power of cancellation.'' In other words, there is a catch all rule that says if the minster says he doesn't want someone in Australia, he can give that person the boot, and he doesn't have to have a reason to do so. If the minister does this, the punishment for Djokovic is automatically a three year ban from Australia.

For now, Djokovic is released and getting ready to play.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYjQ2tov...0-e1ffeddbae08

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    The judge, stated, “The point I’m somewhat agitated about is, what more could this man have done?”
    I don't know, maybe get a couple shots?

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I don't know, maybe get a couple shots?
    That's asking quite a bit though. Think of the dangers. I'd like to hear more from his mommy.

I don't disagree (ND has no Right to be in Australia ), however, I believe the judge's comment is being taken out-of-context -

the judge's job is to determine whether or not ND's exemption, which was allowed in granting a Visa for the tournament, is valid ;
    I believe his comment is directly to what could have been done to show an exemption could be granted.
    At the same time, the Australian Government has a lot of Responsibility for this - the agency granting Visas and Immigration/Customs Should be on the same page.

in the end, the ultimate Responsibility for this lies with Djokovic and the tournament -
    given the effort that Australia went to to limit covid, Vaccination Should be a Requirement for entry to the tournament, and
    as a responsible person, Djokovic Should be vaccinated.

Djokovic is an exceptional tennis player, and may win more 'grand slam tournaments' than anyone ;
    the behavior he displays is disappointing.

thanks for listening. skiJ

Quote Originally Posted by skiJ View Post
    the judge's job is to determine whether or not ND's exemption, which was allowed in granting a Visa for the tournament, is valid ;
    I believe his comment is directly to what could have been done to show an exemption could be granted.
    Yes, no shit. That's why I put a smiley after my comment.

Here's how this went down, in my view. Tennis Australia and Victorian Government told Djok he could come on in and play based on his recent positive test. This was incorrect advice, and they should never have told Djok this, but they fucked up, and they did. Djok relied on this statement and told the world he was on his way to Australia. This pissed off the Australian public and the Prime Minister realized they would all blame him so he got involved. The Prime Minister told his immigration goons to figure out a way to keep Djok out. The immigration goons thought this would be easy because they told Djok if he just left right away, his visa would not be formally revoked and he would only miss this year's tournament but could possibly play in next year's, depending on the rules in the future. The immigration goons already did the same thing to the same to Czech tennis player Renata Voracova. She took the bait and went peacefully.

But the immigration goons underestimated who they were dealing with. Djok, being the crazy mother fucker he is, doubled down and told them no, he won't go peacefully, even if it means missing the next three, possibly four Australian opens. Now the immigration goons are starting to freak out because by fighting it, it means they have treat Djok the same way they treat Rohingya refugees coming to Australia. They canceled the visa, and sent Dkjok to the "hotel" (i.e. jail) they hold all the other refugees trying to get into Australia.

The judge, who may be the biggest vaccine proponent on earth, but has a duty to follow the law, denied the government's request to delay the court hearing. Then he called out the government's hypocrisy and overruled Djok's visa cancellation. Now the Australian government looks pretty stupid. Do they double down and try to get their immigration minster to just boot Djok for being an asshole? My guess is the immigration ministry wants no part of this charade and won't act even though the government is begging him to.

So Djok will play, and probably win, and go down as the best male tennis player ever, and the most hated player ever.

I agree the Australian government have handled this poorly, but don't countries basically have the right to refuse entry to anyone they choose?

"You western. in checkoslovac repubic greatest nation, we thrown many rocks at big soviet tank to win our most freedom. then yougo slovack check nation birth most greatest athelete ever known novak. you deny me this? you attack great great slovack nation mother son?

I tell you I kill you. I kill you all in street. Now"

Signed,
    Srdan Djokovic
    Most greater patriot of nation check slovack
    "Can't you see..."

I agree with you, AD - and
    I don't see any humor in it -

Djokovic wants to play tennis in Australia, Djokovic needs to be vaccinated.
    End of story.

For the Australian people/public, it Should be a Requirement to enter the tournament.

Sports. entertainment. Money. Government.

I will never consider Djokovic 'the greatest tennis player', though he may have the most wins
    ( I will take Federer or Nadal or Sampras or McEnroe/Borg or Laver ).

I agree - Djokovic Should be vaccinated.

skiJ

I guess at this point whatever happens this week, I'd like to see that in future years the government is clear with the tournament, and the tournament is clear with players, that medical exemptions are only for serious allergic reactions or similar, and that having had covid doesn't get you an exemption. You need an original course of vaccine plus boosters, so plan ahead. Don't ban him for 3 years. See if he gets vaxxed or skips future ones! (I'd be happy either way)

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I agree the Australian government have handled this poorly, but don't countries basically have the right to refuse entry to anyone they choose?
    absolutely they do. But they have to follow their own laws in doing so, at least in countries that follow a rule of law.

I have no idea whether that was the case here, and I have no idea whether the Aussie PM or someone else has an ultimate authority to overrule this court or not.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Even non-citizens have due process rights in democratic countries. But apparently it all comes down to this Alex Hawke immigration ministry guy. He can kick Djok out if Djok "poses a risk to health, safety or good order of the Australian community of a segment of the Australian community", or instead the "health or safety of an individual or individuals."

America's immigration system is just as absurd. Remember when AG Jeff Sessions (who is the boss of both the immigration judges, and immigration prosecutors, don't ask) decided that being a DV victim wasn't a good enough reason to claim asylum? So, similar to Djok's situation, even if a DV victim got an immigration judge to grant them asylum, Jeff Sessions came in and said too bad, go back to your DV abuser in the place you came from.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    America's immigration system is just as absurd. Remember when AG Jeff Sessions (who is the boss of both the immigration judges, and immigration prosecutors, don't ask) decided that being a DV victim wasn't a good enough reason to claim asylum? So, similar to Djok's situation, even if a DV victim got an immigration judge to grant them asylum, Jeff Sessions came in and said too bad, go back to your DV abuser in the place you came from.
    Dude, this is so ridiculously dissimilar I can't even believe you're saying it. This is why everyone hates lawyers. You should be ashamed of yourself.

I think you are misinterpreting my comment. I am pointing out both US and Aus allow immigration judges to make decisions, but unlike normal court decisions that can't be unilaterally undone by a single politician snapping their fingers, immigration decisions can.

I believe Alex has to make up his mind on Djok by today. And he can't compromise. It's either give Djok the boot for 3 years, or let him stay. And if he gives him the boot, it is supposed to be because he has determined that Djok is a danger to Australians. How could he ever reach that conclusion? No one is doubting the validity of Djok's mid-December COVID infection.

I'm pretty-sure "due process rights" is a matter of criminal (law) process, not 'immigration', which in this case, isn't really immigration, but rather international travel during the pandemic for income based on Sport/entertainment.

I accept that the poster does not acknowledge the absurdity of comparing an athelete seeking profit from a travel trip, to the circumstance of someone seeking asylum from violence.
    ( much less, the Sterling tenure of the former AG. ... )
    Given the poster's declared occupatation, such arguments are the poster's livlihood.

referring to the Minister of Immigration as a politician, and "this immigration...ministry guy" 'Alex' seems ,,, disrespectful.

in my experience, bureaurcracies and bureaurcrats get lots of decisions wrong.
    ( I also consider the 'politicians' to be the elected. )

it is my understanding N.Djokovic claims he had covid in December(2021) and therefore should qualify for a medical exemption to being vaccinated.
    reading I did more than a year ago regarding covid stated the virus could be shed for at least three months following infection.
    Are we to believe N.Djokovic could not transmit covid/coronavirus (?)

There is a lot of Money on the line.
    If Djokovic wins the tournament, he breaks the tie with Federer and Nadal.
    to me, it will be as empty as Barry Bonds. . .

N.Djokovic's visa can be reviewed by the Minister of Immigration, Alex Hawke - that's the law, that's the process.
    Bureaurcracies and bureaurcrats get lots of decisions wrong.

( Djokovic Should be vaccinated if he wants to play tennis in Australia. )

good luck. skiJ

postscript -
    every article I reviewed ( Independent, DailyMail, etc. ) acknowledged that the threat of a three-year ban could be waived as part of a new visa application review.

( skiJ )