Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Tennis 2022

Tennis 2022

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    My grandfather rolled with the 12th Mountain Division liberating European concentration camps as WWII wound down. He never discussed it so I assume it was even worse than those horrific photos show. He took some of the photos used as evidence in the Nuremburg trials.
    This is complete bullshit.

There has never been a 12th Mountain Division.

Maybe you meant the 12th Infantry Division ? They only existed for 2 years, 1918-1919, never fought in WWI let alone WW2, and never left Massachusetts.

No wonder the old guy never discussed liberating concentration camps.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

lol
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

At some point its all about the pickle ball
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post

Maybe you meant the 12th Infantry Division ? They only existed for 2 years, 1918-1919, never fought in WWI let alone WW2, and never left Massachusetts.

Correction.. 12th ARMORED division. Had skiing on the brain.. Thanks, good catch!

These guys

https://encyclopedia.ushmm.org/conte...mored-division

https://www.unithistories.com/units_...%20Arm.Div.php

My grandfather
    https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth612739/

He was the Artillery Commander.

Ya oops on the mountain lol...

Not bullshit, brain fart..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    how did these three guys combine for 60 grand slams while overlapping each other’s careers? there’s really never been anything like it. you look at the list of massive tennis stars from bitd and a lot of them only won a few because the rest of the field was also good and a goran ivansevic could serve away the field on grass or someone else would just dominate on clay or something.

This is what is absolutely incredible; we have been truly spoiled to witness such an era of tennis. Add in what we’ve seen from the Williamses on the ladies side and it’s flat out unbelievable what we’ve seen.

I’d also like to take a moment to thank Novak for somehow bringing the gong show to the TRG Tennis Thread, a thread that usually has like 5 regular contributors all year.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I’d also like to take a moment to thank Novak for somehow bringing the gong show to the TRG Tennis Thread, a thread that usually has like 5 regular contributors all year.
    Now that's funneh!

I'm just here trying to find out when retro racket day is and what club to rock my old school gear at..

I'll show myself out now like Djoc..

Tennis 2022

Stinks to see Kenin and Gauff go down in round 1. USA lost a little mojo. Kenin had a tough draw with Keys.

Tsitsipas

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post

you need a 10th mountain that goes all the way up, all the way up ... to 11

I guess like most of america would like to see med-nadal pref. as a final but don't think that's in the cards.

ugghh. Team makeup match tomorrow night mid 40s. ok.

Match sat 10 AM low 30s. not-so-much.
    "Can't you see..."

This is what is absolutely incredible; we have been truly spoiled to witness such an era of tennis. Add in what we’ve seen from the Williamses on the ladies side and it’s flat out unbelievable what we’ve seen.
    I have to agree with a bit of a caveat. After enjoying a fair bit of tennis on TV from the 70's to the early 90's, I then didn't have TV for 20 years (until about 2013), so missed a ton of Agassi, Becker, Chang, Sampras and that generation. I remember the heyday of Borg, Mac, Conners, Lendl, last part of Smith and Lavers career, Nastase, Newcombe and of course Chrissie and Martina. That was a pretty golden era too.
    It is currently by far the best decade Canadian tennis has ever seen.

No shit. Djoko's good for something I guess.

In Aussie open news, my 3 seeded compatriots all played like shit the first round. Luckily 2 of them advanced. Shapo and FAA are really going to have to up their game or they'll be leaving down unda long before the second week. Felix's first round match was actually tough to watch. One good thing I suppose is that if you can play your worst and still win then you're certainly a talent.

Going to enjoy Felix's match tonight against a spaniard. Looking forward to watching Medvedev/Kyrios tomorrow so I'll be setting that one up on the PVR. Shapo is next playing a giant mutant (6'11") who I'm pretty sure I watched at a satellite tourney in Calgary a few years ago. We'll see how good Shapo's return of serve is.

White wine, soda and spliff time!!

ps fuck Marshall, it's like you're playing in Canada!! haha! good luck.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Ms. MT was talkin up Kryos-Med but at least the box score doesn't look "all that."

Med's pullin for nadal so there's that.
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    I have to agree with a bit of a caveat. After enjoying a fair bit of tennis on TV from the 70's to the early 90's, I then didn't have TV for 20 years (until about 2013), so missed a ton of Agassi, Becker, Chang, Sampras and that generation. I remember the heyday of Borg, Mac, Conners, Lendl, last part of Smith and Lavers career, Nastase, Newcombe and of course Chrissie and Martina. That was a pretty golden era too.
    It is currently by far the best decade Canadian tennis has ever seen.
    As a kid of the 90s Agassi - Sampras is still top of the mountain for me. Thing was, back then you had great talent all over the bracket winning. We've been living in an era where this happened, which is absolutely mind-boggling:

"Since the 2005 Australian Open the Big Four have won three of four Olympic Games singles tournaments, all but eight majors and all but seven ATP Finals championships.

The dominance does not just consist of winning the events, with all four members regularly making it to the latter stages of tournaments. Out of 66 majors between the 2005 French Open and 2021 US Open, the only two finals not to include any member of the Big Four were those of 2014 and 2020 US Opens. - wiki"

I know it's a bit apples and oranges however I compare the dominance of the big 4 to Borg's dominance in his time. I didn't see enough of Laver, and saw no Budge. Taking into account that back in the day all players weren't willing to travel so far (to Australia was out for Borg, who only played one). Also, remember that Borg only ever lost a slam final to Mac & Connors. Nobody else.

But I digress. FAA totally picked up his game last night and trounced the Brit. Nice revenge for Evans beating Shapo in the ATP cup, and bloody wonderful to see him play to his potential. Unforced errors way down, first serve % points won incredible. Will be a great match against Cilic. On yet another note, I was pretty much infuriated with the performance of A. Davidovich Fokina when playing against FAA in the previous match. The dude was literally dancing and head faking while preparing to take serve. It was total gamesmanship, and the guys shoes were squeaking loudly right through my guys service motion. I was thinking that if FAA won that he'd barely shake the guys hand, was more than shocked to see him give the guy a big hug at the end of the match, didn't seem to bug him at all.

Fuck, is that a pro thing? I really hate it when someone does that shit to me while waiting on the serve. I've seen it happen in the pros maybe a couple of times ever, but this guy did it on basically every serve the last set. WTF.

Shapo looked much stronger in his last match too. His return of serve (just getting the ball over really) was more than adequate, and I feel he tightened his game up immensely from his previous match. Jesus that Yank can hit a serve. Shapo's match against the mutant reminded me how much I love tennis in that the smaller guy (me) actually has a chance against the bigger guy as each has his (her) strengths. (Really) Big guy has reach but is slower around the court and to change directions. Gives us midgets a chance if you can run em side to side and up & back. Shapos match against Zverev has the potential to be a classic.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/athlet...in-france.html

its from a mtn biking site BUT

The French health minister has announced that foreign athletes wishing to compete in the country must be vaccinated against COVID-19.

As a kid of the 90s Agassi - Sampras is still top of the mountain for me. Thing was, back then you had great talent all over the bracket winning
    This completely. Back then, tennis tapped into the same neurons that made kids love Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat and WWF. Different personalities from all over the globe who could all win in their own right.

Sampras - goodie two shoe American, big serve
    Agassi - bad boy American, amazing return
    Courier - American work horse, less talent but more spirit
    Becker - brash German playboy who would dive on the court
    Lendl - serious Czech who came to play, not have fun
    Edberg - the bleached smooth swede with the serve and volley game
    Rafter and Philippoussis - bro’d out Aussies
    Chang - American wheels and heart
    Muster - crushed in a car, Steely Austrian king of clay
    Ferrer, Fererro, Moya, Bruguera- Spanish panache
    Guy Forget - French wildcard
    Pioline - the opposite of Forget, buttery one hander finesse
    Ivanisevic - may serve you off the court Croate
    Stich - German engineering
    Kafelnikof - programmatic Russian and other killer open forehand
    Krajicek - Dutch touch
    Henman - proper Englishman
    Mal Washington - quads and a shot
    The Woodies - double assault from down under
    Todd Martin - big American strokes from Herman Muenster
    And my favorite Wayne “if my forehand isn’t working, I’m tanking” Fererra.

And that’s just the top of my head for character. Such a good era

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    This completely. Back then, tennis tapped into the same neurons that made kids love Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat and WWF. Different personalities from all over the globe who could all win in their own right.

Krajicek - Dutch touch

That was beautiful Art, took me back 25 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    CONNORS BAD BOY
    MCENROE HOLD MHY BEER
    Krajicek - Dutch touch

Agreed but going back a tad farther..

Well done by Shapo! Again didn't play his best but found a way . Now meets Rafa in the quarter. All we need is for FAA to come through tomorrow. Looking good for an all Canadian final down unda. Haha!

Huge upset by Shapo, hope Nadal can keep it going.

And that he did. Great match by Rafa. So fun to watch him hammer like that at his age. Shapo did well to get there and you eliminate 20% of his unforced errors and he's top 5. The match was entertaining as hell to watch though.

Sorry for your guy there Gary, great gutsy match on both sides.

It appears Shapo feels Nadal gets preferential treatment, which is something he should probably keep to himself.

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/...nis-shapovalov

Keys!!!!

The canadians are just kicking our ass on the men's side. Would like to see tiafoe move up with Shap/FAA based on the back story but it just ain't happening :-(

Wasn't into it until really about 10 years ago, older brother played small college mid-late 70s. Was USTA 5.5 till his ankles gave out. What i remember from him was Dunlop/Maxfly, and BORG.

-really pulling for Nadal/Med.
    "Can't you see..."

That was beautiful Art, took me back 25 years.
    Do you remember when Wimbledon was on HBO back in the day? It was one of my birthday presents every summer to have HBO for a month and felt like a special treat. My brothers and I would have spent the previous 3 months or so meticulously harvesting shorn moss on a pong table-sized piece of plywood which would then go on two sawhorses in the backyard during the tourney. Some years, the plywood was especially big and we instituted rules requiring over the head serves and the ability to "volley" only on the serve.

Senior year of HS, my present was to actually go, with a few friends. I watched Doug Flach beat Agassi in the first round. That wily bastard made it to the third round and I hope he's somewhere telling that story still. Wandering the outer courts and seeing the best tennis of my life with a belly full of beer, strawberries and cream was the best.

I need to go find my tourney book, signed by the winner that year Petr Korda, but anyone recall the name of the lesser known grass court tourney down the road just before Wimbledon? Some of the players would prep their game at that tourney and it was always under the radar. Small venue, like a park, but world class players would show up. Attending that was the perfect run-up to Wimbledon.

Coming up with a sand-based surface for French season was trickier. Never dialed that one in.

That's awesome, and wow, I completely forgot about how it was on HBO (remember when they had all kinds of sports?). Petr Korda, now there's a name I haven't heard in 20+ years, very cool you got that kind of access.