Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Tennis 2022

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    People can be messy with the peanut shells and husks in the stands too. I'm definitely guilty of that.

But ya, I thought that had to be some kind of a joke publicity stunt of some kind.
    Man, if you're comparing peanut shells at a ballgame to hair trimmings at at active barbershop at the Open, you lost me.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Man, if you're comparing peanut shells at a ballgame to hair trimmings at at active barbershop at the Open, you lost me.
    Yeah, me too.

Brit, Borg was much better than Mac I thought. Haven't watched a damn point from the open yet.... Sigh, the trevails of working in a remote camp. BUT I will get to see the final Sunday Cause I'll be HOME!!! Enjoy the semis lads!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Sinner v Alcatraz is an amazing match

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Ack he couldn't close it out that game....
    sigless.

As we learned (yet again) a few games ago, it’s not a break until you hold.

It’s a break.

Amazing stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    The shells are as bad as the hair clippings when it comes to making a mess As for the annoyance and distraction level, I'd compare it to talking on a conference call in the stands during a match.. As for the obnoxious level and just doing it to make a scene,, there we agree...

Is there a way to deduct the costs from your taxes if you're "working" there?
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Exact same shirt on both competitors?

Lol I wonder if that's ever happened before.

These guys are both insanely good.

One down.

Tennis 2022

Great match, even though it went straight sets, The Polish fans were going off tonight!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5852.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	257.3 KB 
ID:	426088

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6792.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	623.4 KB 
ID:	426089

Strong work as usual Dee. I wish I was good with a camera..

State of the art, 1990. The video is certainly better now. Are the players?

Full match here for anyone interested in the whole CBS broadcast.

Tennis 2022

Agassi had a tough five setter the day before. I always thought that was unfair especially for the night match. Not enough rest. Clearly affected Agassi in the final.

“Grand Slam event played in New York, announced the changes Friday — but only for next year.

A decision about 2014 and beyond probably will come after the 2013 tournament, USTA spokesman Chris Widmaier said.

Rain forced the USTA to postpone the men’s final from its scheduled Sunday slot to Monday each of the last five years.

Some top male players complained that the U.S. Open was the sport’s only major tournament that put their semifinals and final on consecutive days.

Friday’s moves end the tradition of what the U.S. Open has called “Super Saturday” since 1984, with both men’s semifinals and the women’s final all on that day’s schedule at Flushing Meadows, followed by the men’s final Sunday.”

Yup, this was very special...

Still, have to agree the restructuring of the finals schedule has been a good thing.

And Alcaraz truly represents the state of the art of men’s tennis in 2022. His court coverage (speed and agility) is phenomenal, and he is truly an all-court player who crushes the ball with consistency off both wings, yet has extremely deft touch, and knows how and when to get to the net, and what to do when he does. Huge server, and the inexhaustible stamina of an extremely well-conditioned 19 year old. He’s like Rafa, ( on steroids ;-), on steroids!

All that said I would love to see a time machine drop an early 90’s Sampras on to the same hard court with Alcaraz. And 1984 Mac could probably hang with if not prevail against anyone who’s ever held a tennis racket.

Just some musings while we await the final - tennis is awesome!

If you make the Y2K players use the same rackets as the 80s/90s players were using the olg schoolers win for sure..

The Men's Final wasn't on any major channel live. It's coming on one of the ESPN channels but it's already over.. Congrats to the winner, good effort by the rest in the last few rounds..

If you make the Y2K players use the same rackets as the 80s/90s players were using the olg schoolers win for sure..
    Federer classic backhand would stand the test of time. Never seen a better one.

The Men's Final wasn't on any major channel live. It's coming on one of the ESPN channels but it's already over.. Congrats to the winner, good effort by the rest in the last few rounds..
    On a ROKU the final is now available on demand on the ESPN Channel on ESPN3. (No cable/ESPN subscription required.)

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Federer classic backhand would stand the test of time. Never seen a better one.
    If not the GOAT one-hander it’s for sure right up there.

Btw, nice to see some Harry Hopman Kangaroo Hops again! 😊
    Last edited by fomofo; 09-11-2022 at 09:07 PM.

I did watch the delayed ESPN broadcast last night, tuned in just to watch the 3rd set where all the sparks were flying. Knowing what happened in the 4th I shut it off after the amazing 3rd set.

Name:  Sampras Alcaraz Poster.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  160.0 KB

Sampras had a bit of a letdown after that first US Open title, but then over the next couple years he got it together, and went on a tear the rest of the decade.

Such a great achievement for Alcaraz already, and so much potential! Gonna be interesting to see how he does over time.

Methinks this is not the last slam we see this kid win. In other ground shaking news - Fed pulls the pin (after Laver Cup). We'll miss that smooth and classy Swiss.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Methinks this is not the last slam we see this kid win. In other ground shaking news - Fed pulls the pin (after Laver Cup). We'll miss that smooth and classy Swiss.
    Well, shit.

Part of me wanted to see Roger go out with the overall Slam wins title, or really, even just see him play in person again.

A really, really big chapter in not just men's tennis, but sport ended today with this news.

"Since the 2005 Australian Open the Big Four have won three of four Olympic Games singles tournaments, all but eight majors[a] and all but seven ATP Finals championships.

The dominance does not just consist of winning the events, with all four members regularly making it to the latter stages of tournaments. Out of 68 majors between the 2005 Australian Open and 2022 Australian Open, the only three finals not to include any member of the Big Four were those of 2005 Australian Open, 2014 and 2020 US Opens. They occupied ten consecutive major finals (winner and runner-up) from the 2010 US Open to the 2013 Australian Open. Since 2008, they have occupied all four semi-final spots on four occasions, at the 2008 US Open, 2011 French Open, 2011 US Open and 2012 Australian Open, as well as taking three of the four spaces on nine other separate occasions. In 2011, they occupied 14 out of a possible 16 Grand Slam semi-final slots. In the same period, only twice did two or more not made the semi-final stage (2009 and 2010 French Open), while in 2012 they took 13 out 16 Grand Slam semi-final slots. At the Olympics, members of the Big Four took five of the nine available singles medals in 2008, 2012 and 2016, and also including doubles have a total of five golds, two silvers and a bronze from these Games."

That is flat out mind-boggling dominance.

Cool article Bmills, I would argue though that's it's more like big 3.5 as opposed to big 4. Murray couldn't hold the other 3's jockstrap.

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Day 3 of the AO, time for a new thread?

Rafa in a fight to start here against the young American.
    Last edited by BmillsSkier; 01-17-2023 at 11:10 PM.

This kid is playing out of his mind

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums