Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Tennis 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Sluff View Post
    Anyone but Joke. Go Norrie.
    Is this when we root for Kyrgios' first major?

If anything to hear McEnroe clutch his pearls unironically as Nick throws another tantrum?
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluff View Post
    Anyone but Joke. Go Norrie.
    Yeah, I'm kind of with you on that. Go Norrie to start with fo sho. Then we'll see. I haven't seen Norrie play enough to choose him over Nick.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Nick for sure to win. His matches are awesome. Tow matches ago against Tsitsipas he was on fire. It was awesome. He was all over the chair umpire.

I could be down for seeing Joke throw another epic meltdown toddler tantrum while getting knocked out of the tournament.. especially in the final..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Kyrgios

Damn good tennis against the joker.

OK it was hilarious watching him ranting like a total lunatic.. I guess at his coach and family??? Looked more like he was just screaming at ghosts though. . But I bet it gets old quick.. McEnroe yelling at the umpires was way more entertaining..

Yeah, the screaming at his own box was really weird.

A pretty entertaining match mind you. I've been waffling in whether I love or hate the guy for a few years now, however he plays Joke in a slam final I'm all for him. Then he loses it on his box for no real reason (hey you didn't cheer for me enough at love:40; or was it 40:love...). Anyway, I'm thinking "fuck oh dear, Nick shut up, you're an idiot. Then he potentially loses a set (and arguably the match) because he can't settle himself down.

I think to myself, maybe I should not just discount the kid because he's a raving loon. He's seriously talented and I think he's got serious mental issues. Seriously.

I hope he gets treatment. That performance at Wimbledon was unfortunate, though was entertaining it could have been an all time classic. The matchup was perfect. I hope Nick gets a shrink in his box asap. I feel for the guy.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    A pretty entertaining match mind you. I've been waffling in whether I love or hate the guy for a few years now, however he plays Joke in a slam final I'm all for him. Then he loses it on his box for no real reason (hey you didn't cheer for me enough at love:40; or was it 40:love...). Anyway, I'm thinking "fuck oh dear, Nick shut up, you're an idiot. Then he potentially loses a set (and arguably the match) because he can't settle himself down.

I think to myself, maybe I should not just discount the kid because he's a raving loon. He's seriously talented and I think he's got serious mental issues. Seriously.

I hope he gets treatment. That performance at Wimbledon was unfortunate, though was entertaining it could have been an all time classic. The matchup was perfect. I hope Nick gets a shrink in his box asap. I feel for the guy.
    From the outset it was a fantastic match and I was surprised to learn that Novak hadn't beat Nick in their prior meetings. Which seems odd that they've only faced off so few times, but hey. When he became unglued I was like, "welp, that was fun while it lasted, let's see how he grenades this one".

He clawed back to make it entertaining in the 4th, but it was too little too late.

I'm with you, I think there's a glitch in his makeup that he needs to sort out and once he does he could be a top-flight contender.

Amazing serve. And great play.
    But he’s missing the mental game. He’s mental.
    I cracked up laughing when he said the fan in the stands had too much to drink.

He’s got potential. Could have won.

I liked the ladies' final. First Arab woman in a major final, Ons Jabeur, lost to 19-yo Elenea Rybakina, who is a Russian who's been playing for Kazakhstan for 4 years (and so allowed to play this tournament). Great 3-setter!

Watching Prince William, Kate, and young George at the men's final I'm thinking how miserable it must be for an 8 year old kid to have to dress up in a suit and tie--on a miserably hot day--to watch a tennis match, and pretty much every time he goes out in public. Free George!!
    (At least they didn't dress him in a little sailer suit.)

No Novak in the Open cause vax status.

At this point I think its gotten ridiculous. The CDC pretty much no longer requires quarantine/testing for asymptomatic people, etc. How many people are running around Queens with no vax and they think Novak is a threat?

https://www.the-sun.com/sport/606312...kovic-us-open/

Tennis 2022

I can’t stand Joke, but he should be playing. Total BS.

Same goes for some tournaments banning Russian players. BS.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    No Novak in the Open cause vax status.

At this point I think its gotten ridiculous. The CDC pretty much no longer requires quarantine/testing for asymptomatic people, etc. How many people are running around Queens with no vax and they think Novak is a threat?

https://www.the-sun.com/sport/606312...kovic-us-open/
    Solution: Fly into Mexican Border town and walk across at Brownsville. Claim asylum and fly to NYC.

[QUOTE=sirbumpsalot;6675332]Solution: Fly into Mexican Border town and walk across at Brownsville. Claim asylum and fly to NYC.[/QUOTE]

They'll put him on a bus for free.

Anyone else going to be majorly bummed if Serena exits earlier than the quarters? 2nd round will be very tough for her.

Action kicks off today in what should be an entertaining couple of weeks to bring to the close a really, really weird season.

Stoked to see Rafa back and making a run at his 3rd Major this year (that's crazy just to say that).

Not a Djoker fan, but its complete bullshit that he's not allowed to play. Is NYC like one giant Whole Foods where it's still April 2020?

Medvedev allowed to play which is good, and I'll be excited to see if Kyrigos, Tsitsipas or someone else tries to come up and grab the title as we slowly shift away from the Big 4 era.

Oh, and Serena is retiring, which will bring up lots of stories, no doubt.

Tennis 2022

Serena on court. Be nice to see her go on a little run for the last hurrah. But Father Time takes its toll.

Halep out in round one to a Ukrainian. Sucks to see her out, but something good to go right for Ukraine.

Tsitsipas getting smoked. 6-0, 6-1…doctor looking at his elbow. Didn’t see this coming.
    Last edited by Sluff; 08-29-2022 at 06:11 PM.

Keeping things interesting.. But still out muscling Kovinic so far.

Did not see Tsitsipas starting out like this

Litmus test next round for Williams.. I don't see her winning but it would sure be fun if she did and made one more run to the finals..

Nice to see it wasn’t another first round exit, got that under her belt.

Played considerably better than in Cincy. That’s got to be a load off.

I’m not sure I understand the post match ceremony though, wouldn’t this be more appropriate after her exit match from the tournament? I don’t know, I’m not in charge so I guess who cares.

This Serena thing is weird, it’s like she’s dead, but she’s standing right there!

The two simultaneous match points with the underdogs taking both was good TV.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Nice to see it wasn’t another first round exit, got that under her belt.

Played considerably better than in Cincy. That’s got to be a load off.

I’m not sure I understand the post match ceremony though, wouldn’t this be more appropriate after her exit match from the tournament? I don’t know, I’m not in charge so I guess who cares.
    Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    This Serena thing is weird, it’s like she’s dead, but she’s standing right there!
    Agreed, we were saying the same thing. But, to be fair that was the only guaranteed opportunity to do that send off tribute in front of a full stadium who came to see her. It would have made more sense as her send off if she had lost.. The part where BJK was talking about remembering them from the tennis camp from over 30 years ago was pretty cool.