Thread: Tennis 2022

Unbelievable.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Absolutely unbelievable.

Novak’s tournament to lose now.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Day 3 of the AO, time for a new thread?

Rafa in a fight to start here against the young American.
    From what I can tell no more tennis freebies on ESPN3. Actually looks like ESPN3 is pretty much gone. :-(

Hope someone will step up and thwart Dchoker. Ugh.

Djoker rolls on to the finals going for his 10th AO title.

He's done so much damage to his brand these past few years that I have trouble finding any interest in watching him play. With Rafa hurt and Fed retired I'm kinda bummed knowing it's likely going to be him holding the overall slam record when its all said and done.

If it doesn't take you there jump to 3 min in and check the point there out...

Name:  2023 Aus OpenTsits.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  85.2 KB

Can't help but think of this...

Connors could be a real ass, but he was one Helluva player, and he knew how to win! (Also how to put away a fucking overhead!)

Back to the present, I too don't much like Dchoker, and also hate that he's already passed Fed on the Slam total list, and is poised to tie Rafa, but unless Tsits can play balls out and steamroll Novak, and keep it up for the duration of the match, I see his chances of not losing as slim to none. Maybe a rolled ankle or hitting a ball kid will come into play, but I don't really want to see anyone lose (or win) that way.

Sigh. Hopefully Rafa's got one (or) more French left in him.

^^
    Yeah, what you said. Damn that was a fine point Connors played there... that full run, full stretch winner to get the point was a thing of absolute beauty.

So my reflections on the AO this year:

Murray/Kokkinakis amazing 5 setter and i've a bit of a new respect for Murray. He's still given er' but seriously don't think he's got another major in em. No way he could do multiple 5 setters and still have enough gas for a semi & final. He sure didn't seem his whiney self this tourney either and for that I am liking him more. Gutsy chap though who's still got some damn fine shot making skills.

Brooksby's defeat of Ruud. Who the fuck is Brooksby? Damn, the kid looked like he just stepped on to the local court after burning one. Cept he's really talented. If he got all super fitnessed up he be bloody dangerous (though I supposed knocking off the 2nd seed in a major could be considered lethal force...)

Shelton/Wolf 5 setter. Who the hell are these young yanks and who invited them to start inflicting whoop ass on a bunch of seeds?! Wonderful tennis from these 2 leading up to a classic 5 setter. Nice work Yank friends, it appears you're back on the tennis scene. Just don't forget who owns the Davis Cup right now, m'kay.

Huracz/Korda 5 setter. Um, another fucking american phenom... (yawn..) playing I guy I knew about a little. Super fun match by a couple of guys destined for the top 5.

Lehecka's play. Not just cause he whupped my man FAA's ass. That kid has some game. he's 39th now. Not for long methinks.

Sabalenka/Rybakina. Both gals serving +190km. I want to end this entire thread now. Shit, oh dear those ladies could hit. I think (based on watching not that much womens tennis in the last few decades) that these two are the next martina/chrissie rivalry. Was also quiet impressed with the young polish lassies' (Linnet) run in this tourney.

On to the mens final:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maisie 1st set.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	445310

Maisie chose the balcony seats for the first 2 sets. A bad strategy, perhaps discovered too late.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maisie 3rd set.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	445311

The 3rd and final set saw a move by Maisie to courtside. This move on behalf of TsiTsi was unsuccessful and Maisie apologizes for her error.

Oh damn, Djoko ties Rafa. And now we have to once again consider his inclusion into the GOAT discussion. Yeah, I'm not there yet. I will give him king of the AO with the caveat that back in the day (pre mid 70's), all of the world's best did NOT go down to Aus for that tourney because they only had sailboats.
    And really, Borg was the GOAT right? Are ya with me??! Borg!!!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Not sure I was ready for the Gary selfie.

Nor was I although he seems well informed. Djok is still a jerk, no matter what he does in future. Will never be liked as much as Fed or Nadal. Just not happening. Ladies final just killed it as far as power tennis goes. Not sure if they are still young enough or capable still of adding some more touch to their game, like angle drop shots, off pace approaches or some kind of net game. Probably not. Enjoy reading your guys take on the whole thing. Back in the day, the Australian Open was a long way away.

Quite a match at Indian Wells tonight. The young yank Paul gave FAA more than a scare what with 6 match points. How the hell TP stayed in the match with zero winners I find amazing. Felix didn't play his absolute best tennis but jebus, coming back from love 40 and 3 match points...
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Rafa pulls out of the French Open today, marking the 4th time he has had to withdraw from a Major as the defending champion.

He said he plans on being back next year, but that it will be his last.

I was going through old pictures the other night and we stumbled upon one where we were watching Nadal from the front row of the Cincinnati Masters in... 2009. Holy shit he's had a long career for a guy who we all thought that night in Cincy that his poor knees/legs wouldn't let him play much longer.

Just doesn't sound right that neither Rafa or Fed are going to be at the top of the all-time Majors winners list.

Tennis 2022

Heck of a comeback by Monfils to win in 5 sets in what seemed like an impossibility down 4-0 in the 5th. Home country crowd was electric.
    Last edited by Sluff; 05-30-2023 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluff View Post
    Heck of a comeback by Monfils to win in 5 sets in what seemed like an impossibility down 4-0 in the 5th. Home country crowd was electric.
    What a crazy, amazing match and what guts from Monfils. Dude couldn't walk the last half dozen points.

And one of the women's matches of the year between Azarenka and Andreescu. Guess we haven't started a '23 tennis thread yet eh. Whatev. Nice to see shapo and Fernandez win one for a change too.

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Swiatek and Muchova go to the 3rd set for the women’s championship. Great match. 2-2 in the 3rd.

On the men’s side, I want Ruud to win so bad. F Joke.

Jesus. What a match. Changing of the guard?
    Was hoping it would be a classic match. All the experts doing colour said Djoko in 4. Glad the kid proved em wrong. The 1/2hr game was insane. Insane. Kudos Alcarez! Djoko had his A game today too.

www.mymountaincoop.ca

OK giving the busted racket to the fan was cool. Maybe he is human after all??

Excellent match, Alcaraz was excellent! Djoker didn't give it away. Carlos earned it.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post

Excellent match, Alcaraz was excellent! Djoker didn't give it away. Carlos earned it.
    yeah amazing match, and I do like Joker more now that he seems vincible

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post

I almost think that is the fan he was getting into it with during the match. Maybe I imagined it? Maybe he was yelling at his coaches?
    I missed the first set. Did Carlos get so behind, it just made sense to move on to the next set?
    That was one of the best matches I have ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    I almost think that is the fan he was getting into it with during the match. Maybe I imagined it? Maybe he was yelling at his coaches?
    I missed the first set. Did Carlos get so behind, it just made sense to move on to the next set?
    That was one of the best matches I have ever seen.
    Somehow I missed the drama of the racquet give away but did see the racquet breaking spaz. My respect for Djoko remains low after he broke it on the beautiful wood of the net posts (made a couple of unsightly dents in the thing, that will NOT buff out), re-enforcing my opinion of him as a whiney, poor sport, cry baby when things don't go well for him. Putz.

In the 1st set my take was that Carlos had some jitters. He was going for shots (as he does) but wasn't in the "flow" mentally and forcing his shots. One of the announcers (it may have been Pat) said at some point early in the 2nd set that he was unconsciously banging the bottom of his shoes (as you would on clay, his natural surface) and that this was a good sign for him because he was now in the Zone (paraphrasing a bit) not "thinking".

Ditto on the one of the best matches ever warthog.

edit to add - this was his 3rd tournament on grass (probably not ever as he would have played some as a junior I'm sure, and he would have "played" a bit over the years on the surface surely...). That's some crazy skills to win a major on a surface you're relatively unfamiliar with.

www.mymountaincoop.ca

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post

Ditto on the one of the best matches ever warthog.
    Agreed.

Mind blowing.

Where's that best athlete thread and the tennis deniers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I have to admit, I was really rooting for a change of the guard. Was taking Jr. to sailing camp so I missed the first 4 sets but luckily caught the 5th and all the drama that came with it.

Someone's gonna have to update the wiki page:

"Since the 2005 Australian Open the Big Four have won three of four Olympic Games singles tournaments, all but nine majors[a] and all but seven ATP Finals championships. Since the 2003 Wimbledon Championships, the Big Four have won a combined 68 Grand Slam singles titles."

as I think this may be the start of the end for that chapter in tennis history.

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    this was his 3rd tournament on grass (probably not ever as he would have played some as a junior I'm sure, and he would have "played" a bit over the years on the surface surely...). That's some crazy skills to win a major on a surface you're relatively unfamiliar with.
    My wife played a ton when she was young. Spent her summers at the Nick Bollettieri Tennis Academy (Now IMG) in Bradenton. She said they had a few grass courts there that were always empty, but that is where Capriati and a few of the other famous camp attendees would practice on grass.

For anyone who didn’t catch the match this is a great 20 minute condensed/highlight version...

P.S. This didn’t make the reel.

Alcaraz is fantastic; makes me want to watch tennis again. Unbelievable speed/court coverage, very powerful off both wings, (with great disguise on his groundies), deft touch around the net, and bulldogged determination. Not a clone, but much in common with Nadal. Should be around for awhile.
    The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post

"Since the 2005 Australian Open the Big Four have won three of four Olympic Games singles tournaments, all but nine majors[a] and all but seven ATP Finals championships. Since the 2003 Wimbledon Championships, the Big Four have won a combined 68 Grand Slam singles titles."
    Name:  0CE02D58-48F8-4AAF-8426-FB33522CDC58.jpeg
Views: 180
Size:  72.5 KB

“Fucking Bloody Hell!” ...Pete Sampras
    The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    My wife played a ton when she was young. Spent her summers at the Nick Bollettieri Tennis Academy (Now IMG) in Bradenton. She said they had a few grass courts there that were always empty, but that is where Capriati and a few of the other famous camp attendees would practice on grass.
    Thanks for that. Yeah, sort of figured that as a pro, you're going to play some on all surfaces just as a matter of course. Hell, I'm a hack but have played on all surfaces at one time or another. Found a photo of the damage Djoke did to the net post. What a turd.
    Name:  F1LMxGRWAAIQ3k_.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  73.3 KB

Agree with ya Bush, it's a new era. And, couldn't come too soon. I think Alcaraz winning will give all the other young guns a boost. They now KNOW they can beat Djoke on any surface in the big match. Alcaraz made him look very vulnerable in that last set, his droppers/touch were of such quality that arguably the best mover in the game didn't even move for them.

I don't think that Alcarez will ever lose to him again.

My anecdote about finally beating a rival who owned me. I had a hitting partner I couldn't beat. Like for 7 years. Probably 100 matches. I came close so often, lots of 5 setters. Finally, I met him in the final of a tourney in Edmonton and beat him (he was a big guy 6'4", and I got him running side to side). That was it, never lost to him again after that. I'd say tennis is 90% mental and the other half is physical.

www.mymountaincoop.ca

It's nice to have late night tennis at the US Open back; now, if only the temps would drop to a more traditionally-seasonal level.