Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Tennis 2022

Quote Originally Posted by skiJ View Post
    I'm pretty-sure "due process rights" is a matter of criminal (law) process, not 'immigration', which in this case, isn't really immigration, but rather international travel during the pandemic for income based on Sport/entertainment.
    Due process isn't limited to criminal cases. Applies to immigration cases too. Look it up if you don't believe me. Anytime you cross a border you are dealing with immigration law, even if entering on a tourist visa.

referring to the Minister of Immigration as a politician, and "this immigration...ministry guy" 'Alex' seems ,,, disrespectful.
    Wikipedia tells me Alexander George Hawke is an Australian Liberal Party politician serving as Minister for Immigration, Citizenship, Migrant Services and Multicultural Affairs since December 2020, and has served as Member of Parliament (MP) for Mitchell since 2007. He IS a politician and he is appointed to his immigration position.

If Djokovic wins the tournament, he breaks the tie with Federer and Nadal.
    to me, it will be as empty as Barry Bonds. . .
    You are comparing someone who doesn't want to get the vaccine with an athlete who used performance enhancing drugs to cheat?

I think you may be right that Alex has discretion to impose the 3 year ban or not. I have read conflicting articles on that part.

I am curious if ever, in the history of Australia, has the Minister of Immigration used their power under Section 133c(3) of the Migration Act to give someone the boot even though the court rules they could stay? My guess is that, if they chose to do so here, it would be the first time ever.

You bet I am comparing Djokovic to Bonds - "empty" reccrds.

altasnob ignores the most important part of my post - allowing Djokovic entry creates risk for the citizens of Australia.

( an hour ago, 12:15PM MT, it is disclosed the MonteCarlo based Djokovic claimed he had not traveled in the fourteen days prior to his arrival in Australia - despite being seen in Spain And Serbia during that time ( espn ) )

' due process ' -
    due process includes review by the Minister of Immigration, Citizenship, Migrant Seevices, and Mulicultural Affairs, who has the 'Personal Power' to make determinations - such is the privilege of his Office's appointment -

oh. and the other piece of my post that altasnob chose to leave out, is,

Bureaucracies and bureaurcrats sometimes get decisions wrong.

as Minister, Mr. Hawke is appointed - a bureaucrat.
    He serves at-the-pleasure of the Prime Minister, an elected politician.
    ( politician : holder of an elected office. )

If Djokovk lied on his visa application, comparing him to Bonds may be a disservice to Bonds.
    "empty" record - That's all I said -

If Djokovk lied on his visa application, a three-year ban would be lenient .

Done arguing with you altasnob -
    you want to parse my posts to practice your lawyerly craft, ,,,

No thank you. skiJ

The news today that Djok lied on his immigration paperwork concerning both when he knew about his positive PCR test, and his travel in the 14 days prior to his Australian arrival, is very concerning and may get him the boot. Lying on immigration paperwork is a criminal offense (I assume he is signing these documents under penalty of perjury). In the US, if someone lies on their initial visa to enter the country, then becomes a permanent resident, then US citizen, then gets married and has kids, ect. ect, and the government finds out that they lied 20 years ago on their initial paperwork, the government can cancel the person's US citizenship and deport them. Djok claims "his agent" filled out the form. I can't believe one of the wealthiest athletes in the world would let "his agent" fill out immigration paperwork rather than hiring the top immigration attorney in Australia to help him with the process.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Djok claims "his agent" filled out the form. I can't believe one of the wealthiest athletes in the world would let "his agent" fill out immigration paperwork rather than hiring the top immigration attorney in Australia to help him with the process.
    It also doesn't seem like a valid excuse. I think he's cooked. Australia was looking for any opening to boot him and I'd say this is it.

It's not an excuse. Maybe an explanation. But you are deemed to have read and agree with anything that you sign under penalty of perjury.

The problem Australia now has is that the front-line immigration officials can cancel the Visa for a lie on the paperwork, no matter how small of a lie. But the judge has already overruled them (it's not clear what the judge knew at the time he overruled; new evidence could mean new hearing). And the immigration minster can only boot Djok if he believes Djok is a danger to Australians. I don't know if this is enough to call Djok a danger. Maybe he can spin it that based on Djok's untruthfulness he cannot be trusted and is a danger. It could go either way and I believe I read Djok can actually appeal the immigration minister's decision. Tournament starts on Monday. Both Djokoivic and Australia are going to walk away from this looking like boneheads.

When it comes out that Djok faked the positive result in order to get a vaccine waiver then the gov't will have reason to consider him a danger. The silver lining is if he does play the booing will be glorious and that thin-skin narcissist is sure to get pissy about it.

If it means anything, I'd like Roger or Rafa hold the all-time Majors title, and Novak's arrogance/ignorance of this issue may allow that, at least for a short time.
    I still call it The Jake.

If he does wind up playing somehow, there will be some very unhappy spectators. He will need a lot of mental reserve and steady nerves to deal with that aspect of it. Plus, there are some other really good players in the draw. I don’t think he is a shoo-in to win.

Djoker’s visa yanked by the Minister. Appeal ongoing.

This is quite the theatre and we haven’t even played a point yet.

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/...kes-visa-again

Minister doubling down. Don’t see how they could possibly back off of this again. Djok could lose some sponsors over this. Pretty tough PR recovery for him after all is said and done.

I wonder if France will allow him in. Or heck, the ultra liberal state of NY for that matter. Screw him if he doesn't want to play by the rules. No exemptions. I would not so politely tell him to GTFO and don't come back. Good on the Aussie Minister.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Game, set, match Aussie government?

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Game, set, match Aussie government?

One of the best to play the game spends his career climbing the slam leaderboard, only to come to a three way tie for all-time, while being younger and spryer than the other two, and then you absolutely shoot yourself in the foot. This point in his career is exactly when he needed to strike the hardest for the record books, The fallout from Aussieland is going to melt into the rest of his travel schedule and likely put the brakes on a run that needs to be accelerated now. What a monumental fuck up.

it is my understanding on Monday, the French Open issued a press release that said he would be welcome.

skiJ

Djokovic is going to lose the Australian Open for missing just two shots. Such a shame.

As for New York, I don’t see how he can play. They don’t let Kyrie Irving play home games. Djokovic will be stuck in a hotel room again since he can’t even visit a restaurant here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    I wonder if France will allow him in. Or heck, the ultra liberal state of NY for that matter. Screw him if he doesn't want to play by the rules. No exemptions. I would not so politely tell him to GTFO and don't come back. Good on the Aussie Minister.

Hoist with his own petard more times than I can count!

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    As long as unvaxxed NBA players can't play in MSGJoker's not welcome there. But, I'm not sure about outdoor venues. I haven't heard about unvaxxed NFL players being banned from The Meadowlands but that's in New Jersey..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Unvaxxed nba players can play in NYC, just not if they play for the home team, which doesn’t make any sense but whatever.

New Jersey is not in NYC, so I’m not sure what that has to do with anything.

Djoko on a plane to Dubai. Good riddance you antivax fucking kook. I truly hope this keeps screwing him up. All we need is another high profile hero for the unvaccinated nut jobs in the world.

In a lighter, happier vein, may the Aussie Open be full of Canadian wins and shrimps on the barbie. G'day mate.
    Last edited by garyfromterrace; 01-16-2022 at 11:48 AM.

I completely understand why a world class tennis player doesn’t want to fuck around and get shots that would at a minimum make his shoulder sore. Or worse
    The only upside to him getting the vaccine would have been to appease the over abundance of dingbats who seem to have a tight grip on the microphone.

I don’t give a fuck about tennis. Have not played since high school

But now rooting for him to break the record

The guy is a millionaire right?
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

I havent got much sympathy for any pro atheletes who are dumb enough to jeopardize millions of $$$$$$$ in winnings and sponsor ships

he could have got the vax shot in the butt if he was worried about a sore shoulder,

oh well at least he got DQ'ed doing something he loved
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

You don’t seem to get it

He chose not to jeopardize millions of dollars in future earnings

He’ll keep winning all over the world

I’m betting in his country he is seen as a hero

I wonder how many people chose not to go to Australia this year?
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Every other player is vaccinated.

" A mistake" to fail to comply with Serbian Rules with a positive covid test ;

" human error" to submit False statements in his visa application
    ( a Federal felony with a possible penalty of 12 years in prison )

Every other player is vaccinated.

please enjoy the tournament.

skiJ

MTT bringing the late incoherent rant that makes no fucking sense, arite! Gettem tiger!
    "Can't you see..."