Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RUNNING WHEN ITS ICY

New to running and winter running. What are people using for running when its icy? Yaktrax? Looks like they make a running version, do people like it? Other brands?

Road or trail?

Yaktrax will break. Microspikes and some of the knockoffs are pretty durable, but better suited for trail use. I have a buddy who uses another Katahoola product for road running. I think they're called Exospikes. I don't really run on the road.

I bought some spikes from La Sportiva that you then screw into the bottom of your favorite runners. Works pretty well for me.

I stay home and drink beer. I do that when it's not icy too, though.

RUNNING WHEN ITS ICY

Kahtoola nano spikes work very well for me in packed snow and ice

Edited to add: that’s trail running. If you hit dirt they’re fine. I don’t think they would be pleasant on dry roads.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by whatsupdoc; 01-07-2022 at 12:56 PM.

Icebugs are popular over here https://icebug.com/studded-shoes

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Road or trail?

Yaktrax will break. Microspikes and some of the knockoffs are pretty durable, but better suited for trail use. I have a buddy who uses another Katahoola product for road running. I think they're called Exospikes. I don't really run on the road.
    Road/sidewalk. Usually its packed snow slick vs icy slick.

I'll check those out

adrenalated has the most correct answer, but I have had good luck with the Black Diamond version of microspikes (Access Spike) on roads that are well covered in ice and snow - as long as the ice/snow cover is thick enough that the spikes aren't going through to the pavement. I've also just screwed hex head machine screws into the soles, which works ok (make sure to get the short screws so that you don't poke your feet!) - but this requires a dedicated pair of shoes that are your winter running shoes.

Snow's perfect

Quote Originally Posted by whatsupdoc View Post
    Kahtoola nano spikes work very well for me in packed snow and ice

Edited to add: that’s trail running. If you hit dirt they’re fine. I don’t think they would be pleasant on dry roads.

X2 for me here in the frozen MN winters

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Not all who wander are lost"

I have some trail shoes with built-in spikes (Inov-8 Oroc 340), they work well on mixed dirt/snow/ice and are less bulky than micro or nano spikes. I think the spikes would wear down pretty quick on dry roads though. I usually use them in late fall when there's too much snow/ice for biking but not enough to ski.

Asics with spikes. Need insoles, though, as they're damp as soul7s.

Sent fra min LYA-L29 via Tapatalk

Got my wife Salomon ‘Snowspike’ shoes after her Yaktrax broke after very little use. She never would have sprung for them herself, but she loves them. Spike wear hasn’t been an issue so far. I believe they’re carbide spikes (described as tungsten, which I take to mean tungsten carbide), so wouldn’t be surprised if the last longer than the rubber sole.

I personally find running a horrible thing to do regardless of conditions…

I bought a pair of the regular gore tex salomon runners and then put my own spikes in to the soles - sometimes in the spring it’s both icy and wet out and I’ve found the gore tex ones maintain their waterproofness longer than the salomon climashield membrane ones.
    Last edited by bennymac; 01-07-2022 at 03:49 PM.

I put screws in the bottom of an old pair of speedcrosses and that worked good. Set them in the little notches in the back of the treadblocks and that also kept them from pulling out. One time I had some screws in a pair of hiking boots and lost nearly all of them coming down a really icy trail. "why is it suddenly getting really slippery...?"

I really should just buy some of these though

https://www.salomon.com/en-us/shop/p...ml#color=39838

Quote Originally Posted by mn_teleswede View Post
    X2 for me here in the frozen MN winters

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    X3 for me...the khatoola nano spike work really well for both packed slick roads and trails.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    I put screws in the bottom of an old pair of speedcrosses and that worked good. Set them in the little notches in the back of the treadblocks and that also kept them from pulling out. One time I had some screws in a pair of hiking boots and lost nearly all of them coming down a really icy trail. "why is it suddenly getting really slippery...?"

I really should just buy some of these though

https://www.salomon.com/en-us/shop/p...ml#color=39838
    Those are the ones I was referring to above. Highly recommended by the wife.

Here’s a good run down: https://www.irunfar.com/best-winter-...action-devices

Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    Here’s a good run down: https://www.irunfar.com/best-winter-...action-devices

With the caveat that I haven’t used any of those - it seems like ALL would be inferior to having the spikes actually integrated into the shoe.

I could see going with one of the less expensive options for only occasional use (although the Yaktrax my wife had only held up for a few runs). But to spend $100? If you’re that committed to running on ice then dedicated shoes with integrated spikes seem like the better option.

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    Snow's perfect

Haha, came here to post this, glad to see it was already done.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Icebug or ice trekkers. The ice trekkers are really nice, low profile with carbide studs. You can’t slip even on wet ice. Never tried Icebugs but my friend has. Same deal, integrated carbide studs.

I've used Kahtoola microspikes for running on snowy MN mornings. The traction was great but my feet get sore around where the spikes are under your feet. It's fun to solve problems with new gear but in this case I find it easier to just run slower and more flat-footed.

I don't like running in Yaktrax but my wife and MIL do it routinely and get a few seasons out of their Yaktrax. I mostly just switch from road runners (which I use for road and trail for 3 seasons) to trail runners, but this is for more snow than ice. Yaktrax and other similar products always seem to side 1/2 off my sole, and the amount fo faffing around with them means it's overall faster to just run a bit slower/more cautiously and not have to stop and fix them. YMMV.

I picked up a set of the Khatoola nano spikes and like them so far (3 miles in, on trail)

I have a set of Saucony Mad River TRs (https://www.saucony.com/en/mad-river-tr-2/44621M.html) that I put hex screws in. They literally tell you the size and the placement of screws. Works well (sucks running on dry pavement though as expected), and less futzing than putting on additional microspikes over top. For last 2 years I've found a pair on sale, used them during summer for trail running and retired to winter shit days after that.

If it isn't completely snow covered then I just opt for something with decent rubber on outsole and am careful on slippy bits. E.g. I choose Sketchers Forzas over NB Beacons.