Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 PGA

i give this LIV 2 years.......max.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Rory after win

“21 wins on the PGA Tour. That’s now 1 more than someone else!”

Someone being one Greg Norman.....
    Missed a hell of a final round yesterday, but the post round presser was very entertaining. As was all the discussion about the LIV tour from the players and commissioner.

"a 54 hole exhibition, against the same guys each week"

I still call it The Jake.

DJ made the statement of why he switched - wants to play less golf but make more money - wants more free time......hard to argue that. less work - more pay. i bet the sentiment of most who made the move.

Kaymer said similar

It's all gonna depend what stance DP/euro tour takes and how Majors adapt

I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnepa View Post
    DJ made the statement of why he switched - wants to play less golf but make more money - wants more free time......hard to argue that. less work - more pay. i bet the sentiment of most who made the move.
    Sure, and others have a little moral integrity. Boston is gonna let them hear about it.

^^^i can only hope..

That is interesting.

I'm sure nothing would make all those Euros happier than to play in Europe where they're the headliners to make up for the lack of US play.

Forgive me if I missed it earlier, but I assume the issue with the Ryder Cup is accumulating enough points to qualify for the team, and not a flat out bar on playing? (Both US and Euros)

so, happy to start another thread if y'all feel its warranted and before some jong ass honyock chimes in I am well aware the US Open is put on by the USGA, but thought JT was smart to get the locals on his side today.

“My uncle is from up this area, and he’s a big Red Sox fan, and it just was kind of something that there was no birthday or Christmas gift that was for me from him was anything but Red Sox,” Thomas said. “I had a lot of jerseys, tee shirts, a lot of hats, a lot of blankets. I had a Nomar. I had a Manny (Ramirez). Then my first Red Sox jersey was a David Ortiz jersey. I think I even had a (Jason) Varitek one. He took me to a Yankees-Red Sox game at Fenway for my birthday one year, which was really cool.”

"I was getting yelled at and cussed at and given the finger and I was 9-years-old,” Thomas said Monday at The Country Club, home to the 122nd U.S. Open this week. “That was my first introduction to the Yankees-Red Sox rivalry.”

2022 PGA

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    That is interesting.

I'm sure nothing would make all those Euros happier than to play in Europe where they're the headliners to make up for the lack of US play.

Forgive me if I missed it earlier, but I assume the issue with the Ryder Cup is accumulating enough points to qualify for the team, and not a flat out bar on playing? (Both US and Euros)
    Yeah you don’t get points for playing in ghetto ass shit field expedition events. There are guys at my home club who could have come in middle of the pack in last weekend’s LIV event, and I mean that seriously.

Hell, I just shot a 71 today on a similar course rating, and I’m a 42-year old has-been which means I’d fit in perfectly. ;-)

(Ok but in all honesty I was pretty stoked about the 71). My handicap is fucked now.
    Last edited by TahoeJ; 06-13-2022 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Yeah you don’t get points for playing in ghetto ass shit field expedition events. There are guys at my home club who could have come in middle of the pack in last weekend’s LIV event, and I mean that seriously.

I’d take that bet, unless you’ve got guys that contend for the us am or mid am. Or one of your club pros made the cut in a pga.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

2022 PGA

One guy played in the Senior Open, another played late into the US Am, another just barely missed the Open last year. Keep in mind that I’ve played against some pretty high level guys up close over the years. This LIV field is weak as fuck is my point.

I was never on that level but I was close enough to recognize the difference. LIV is a joke currently.
    Last edited by TahoeJ; 06-15-2022 at 07:32 AM.

I know you have the competitive background, but none of your buddies at the club are finishing middle of the pack in that field, as weak as it is. How many guys in that field are major champions?

Anyway, the US open starts this week.
    Rory looks ready to go.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Okay, so a little hyperbole but not by that much. Middle of the pack was like 9 or 10 over par. lol... you could take a bunch of guys from the Korn Ferry tour and they'd finish in the top third of the field, easy.

I'd like to see another Rory / JT showdown at this Open.

I'd like to see another Rory / JT showdown at this Open.
    Same, those guys are firing on all cylinders right now.

I saw Brooks' press conference yesterday and I kinda have to agree with him. Why do all the reporters keep bringing up LIV questions at the fucking US Open? That should be the focus this week; arguably the toughest major.

Oh, and Phil looks like he's been up all night at the craps table.

For a month.

Ha, I was going to mention that. Phil looks like he just rolled in from a Vegas bender... which is probably true.

They're bringing up LIV because it's going to be a storyline this week once the crowds start getting after those guys.

Got tickets to next year’s pga in Rochester

I was on 18 when Curtis won his 2 in a row. Hope you see some history made.
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnepa View Post
    They want to make money because you have to finish in the top 10-15 to make good money in the PGA. By the time you get to 30th payout the money from last weeks RBC Canadian Open you're under $60k

Mediocre golfers get way over paid by bloody petro-dollars from a terrorist country. But most golfers are GQP unethical white elitists anyway

No way this can't go bad for one or both organizations

Phil was 7 over par from the LIV's first tournament, I heard he got 200-400m just for switching to and promoting LIV

Phil looks like he has that middle eastern 2 day scruff going on from the pic I saw today of him in a practice round. Any bets he misses the cut

I'm already embarrassed for the network to have to apologize for all the swearing these next 4 days. I think it will be brutal

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    But most golfers are GQP unethical white elitists anyway
    This was true for a very long time but far less so with this younger generation of players.

So DJ has applied to play on the DP World Tour now? I'm sure they'd welcome with open arms DJ, Bryson, Reed, Sergio et al.

This was true for a very long time but far less so with this younger generation of players.
    Agree. The PGA is run by^^^

great coverage and cool new technology @ https://www.usopen.com/watch/live.html

Sure, and others have a little moral integrity. Boston is gonna let them hear about it.
    This Freakonomics episode makes the morality argument against LIV seem a little less cut-and-dry: https://freakonomics.com/podcast/wha...-does-it-work/

Don't get me wrong, Saudi Arabia can get fucked, but the Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund is invested in tons of US companies, and has also thrown a bunch of money at the ladies Euro tour (which is a joint venture with the LPGA) which no one seems to care about.

Yeah, I'm very aware of US corporate involvement with those funds. I think the key difference here is this a unique enterprise started by and 100% backed by Saudi money vs. quiet backdoor support. They are right on the face of it. If they were actually interested in golf and not just sportswashing they would have tried to form some kind of deal with the Euro tour and then used that money to lure PGA players overseas. That may end up happening in the end when LIV falls on its face and no one gives a shit about watching it.

I do think some of these guys are short-sighted in terms of foregoing sponsorship money and maintaining their personal brand, especially the bigger time players who are under 30 like Bryson. Rory got 20 million per year from Nike alone for about 10 years and after they stopped making clubs and balls he still gets 10 million per. And since then a pretty nice Taylor Made deal as well to the tune of $100 million. That adds up over time, and even in his later years they'll continue to sponsor him for decades as a brand ambassador. Sure, Nike isn't perfect by any means but they sure as shit aren't the Saudi's (I hate that what-about-ism bullshit). Point is, if you do well on the PGA tour you can win a lot more than purse money.

Side note: I really miss those Nike Pro Tour golf balls - they were great. I bought like 10 boxes once they stopped production, wish I had bought more. Titleist AVX is pretty similar though, but it took a while to find a ball I liked as much.