Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Protected and Preserved Powder Hunting in the West

Hey.

Well right now everyone's getting a nice dose of powder in the west but it looks like the hose is going to turn off soon for a week or two.

I'm hoping this thread could be used beyond my specific request for post storm condition updates and pontificating. I know powder can be preserved midwinter in cold protected areas or if wind hasn't wreaked havoc.

I have a week off to chase powder starting January 15 and wondering if somewhere like Sunvalley and the Sawtooth range will hold good backcountry conditions (i.e. powder) a week or more after a storm.

I was planning on an Eastern Sierra trip but I've learned my lesson over two decades that it's very hard to find good conditions there if it has been windy unless you get up real high in very well protected chutes.

Have you considered Vail? The back bowls are legendary.

I would hit up Powder Mountain. The name pretty much says it all.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Most people like to share their secret week old pow stashes on a public forum so I'll go. Yes, the Sun Valley and Sawtooth zones will be holding pow. But only because there is considerable avy danger so if it hasn't been skied by the week of the 15th, it probably shouldn't be for a bit. There are a couple persistent weak layers that will probably be around for awhile and the wind and snow that is hammering right now won't help. https://www.sawtoothavalanche.com/forecasts/#/all

Guess that all could change though. And if you have a sled, plenty of opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    ^^^ This. They are untracked.

https://www.vaildaily.com/news/when-...lue-sky-basin/
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Thanks conundrum.

I'm definitely not asking for stashes, but more general input on areas that tend to hold powder well after storms in the winter. I'm sure there are times when the snow goes to shit up there.

Sounds like Avi conditions are considerable and these latest storms have been windy in the sawtooth's.

I'm not seeing a significant wind or warming event after tomorrow around Sunvalley so hoping that could be a viable option. Wouldn't need to get up in the Alpine. Hippy turns in the trees would be fine.

I'd rather not drive to Colorado from California.

Powder mountain could be a good option for us.

Please don't share top secret stashes like this on the web or hordes of people will track out the powder in 45 minutes. Need to know basis only.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post

Aspen area has a great base and fantastic skiing. But the last few days we’ve had a major wind event with rising temps into the 30’s @ 8k.
    I’m sure there will be plenty of good skiing, but there may be places better.
    Check back in a week.

Talked to a buddy in SV on Monday. He said it is on in that area right now with good BC options on the terrain right adjacent to town.
    Last edited by Bunion 2020; 01-06-2022 at 09:05 PM.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Heh. More proof that vail sucks.
    Backside of Stevens hadnt opened yet either even with more than ample snowfall.
    So I'd recommend:
    Stevens backside
    Round mountain between crested butte and almont
    Glory bowl at teton pass
    Definitely tincan at turnagain
    Anywhere on vail pass too

Quote Originally Posted by pajamas View Post
    Thanks conundrum.

I'm definitely not asking for stashes, but more general input on areas that tend to hold powder well after storms in the winter. I'm sure there are times when the snow goes to shit up there.

Sounds like Avi conditions are considerable and these latest storms have been windy in the sawtooth's.

I'm not seeing a significant wind or warming event after tomorrow around Sunvalley so hoping that could be a viable option. Wouldn't need to get up in the Alpine. Hippy turns in the trees would be fine.

I'd rather not drive to Colorado from California.

Powder mountain could be a good option for us.
    Why don’t you go poke around in the Warner Mtns and report back. I bet there’s decent conditions around Warner Pass. It’s closer and you’ll probably have it to yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Ruby mins. North cascades highway. Both require sleds, or big legs/lungs.

i know i’ll get flamed for this by the gatekeepers but molly hogan bowl might finally be in after a long cool off period.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Cooke City.

Teton Pass MT (not WY). Lifts owned by a maggot, tons of sidecountry.

https://www.skitetonmt.com/home

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

I’ve heard that Mount Hood Meadows holds powder for weeks.

Teton Pass MT - wow, would love to go there, wish that was my home mountain!

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Why don’t you go poke around in the Warner Mtns and report back. I bet there’s decent conditions around Warner Pass. It’s closer and you’ll probably have it to yourself.

Or east side of steens mtn…

can we ban the use of the word "powder"
    please
    it's now the most over used word out west
    the denver post called the snow they got on the front range this week powder wtf? it's fucking snow call it snow but don't call it champagne powder cause thats trademarked by steamboat who is trying to cover up the reality that they are getting sierra cement these days

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Or east side of steens mtn…
    Love to explore that area in winter. I think the Warners would have better access though, there is a ski area up there and it’s open.

This is a dumb thread.

OP, look at a topo map, maybe some google earth, and go.

Quote Originally Posted by CnRzG View Post
    I’ve heard that Mount Hood Meadows holds powder for weeks.
    Lol, I’m sure there’s plenty of high quality stashes left after 4” of rain and 70mph+ winds

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    This is a dumb thread.

OP, look at a topo map, maybe some google earth, and go.

Lol, I’m sure there’s plenty of high quality stashes left after 4” of rain and 70mph+ winds
    Maybe for Jonesy on his sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Love to explore that area in winter. I think the Warners would have better access though, there is a ski area up there and it’s open.

I drove by it this summer, the vert is small for backcountry turns, and they end in farmers fields I think. But it would be fun for a day riding lifts with the local ranch hands and other types and doing some bc access.

And someone needs to rotate the Steen webcam into the sun to melt out the lens:

https://www.alertwildfire.org/region...ra=Axis-Steens

I agree this is a dumb thread. Besides Vail's legendary back bowls, much of the intermountain west can and typically will reliably provide powder or aged snow thats facetted and skis like powder for weeks after a storm. It just needs to not get wind jacked or toasted by the sun, so aspect and elevation are important. There are a ton of options some roadside and some requiring a sled. Read the reports, try and figure out what zones are looking good and go after it. Of course things are far from static and will more often change in a matter of hours. Figuring all of this out yourself is a necessary part of the learning curve.

I've never been, but have been repeatedly told that Brokeback Ski Area is great for mid-season cruising. It's the perfect place when your in the middle of a dry spell. Sort of a hidden gem not far off from the places you've described thus far.