Page 2 of 70 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Marshall. What’s the “inspiration” for the metal skis?

I know you’ve been loving the bmx HP. I have no desire to ride an axiom again.
    How would you describe or compare the metal lineup?

I do like the description.
    The R120 bridges the gap between vintage axioms and recent comp skis. Proper GS flex and construction, large turn radius, and a 120mm footprint.
    Go run over some tourists.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Oh boy...I need to sell some skis so I can snag some C202's!
    I can help you clear the 138 slot on your wall for these skis that you will need

Sent from the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Oh boy...I need to pretend to sell some skis so I can justify snagging some C202's to my wife!
    FIFY

You have my attention.

For the pedants out there... can you share the specific skis being recreated here? I think I know some; Lotus 138 and maybe some version of Dynastar Legend or XXL? Not sure about the rest... care to share?

Man... I do not need any more fat skis in the quiver as I have a few I barely use already.

But if there was ever a time to buy a 138 I would think it would be now and from Marshal.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Man... I do not need any more fat skis in the quiver as I have a few I barely use already.

But if there was ever a time to buy a 138 I would think it would be now and from Marshal.
    I own four dedicated pow skis, including a pair of 192 L138s and I'm still kinda tempted to try a pair of the 202s. If I don't do it, I'll never know, you know?

What I'm saying is, do it.

202s are 10 more better than the 192s. They are fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by TAFKALVS View Post
    202s are 10 more better than the 192s. They are fantastic.
    Math checks out.

wow.....mis-typed wow the first time as '202'...look at your keyboard and you'll see how..maybe it's a sign

Bringing Back The Best: Lotii And Other Assorted Love Songs

I’m in for some legends and monsters. Maybe some unnecessary pow skis.

Oh my. So... will you do international shipping?

Quote Originally Posted by TAFKALVS View Post
    202s are 10 more better to the 192s. They are fantastic.
    Does that mean the 138 are 18 superior to the 120?

(DAYUM…if this isn’t the most interesting (and coolest) TGR thread in some time…maybe years even!!!)

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Marshall. What’s the “inspiration” for the metal skis?

I know you’ve been loving the bmx HP. I have no desire to ride an axiom again.
    How would you describe or compare the metal lineup?

I do like the description.
    The R120 bridges the gap between vintage axioms and recent comp skis. Proper GS flex and construction, large turn radius, and a 120mm footprint.
    Go run over some tourists.

Hey Coreshot, this is a great question, thank you for asking. The description is how I have been thinking about the R120, but you got me to think more about what the ski actually is.

in reality, I ski my Monster 108’s more than I ski anything else. I just wish they were a little wider and that the 184 (that is actually 182cm) was a touch longer. So, in practice, the R120 is much more an intersection of an OG Bodacious footprint with the Monster 108 construction, and basically dead flat with only a tiny bit of tip rocker for maximum crud busting.

more generally speaking, the inspiration of the metal skis, across the line, is to bring the super smooth ride of legend pros and monsters back, but fix some of the idiosyncratic shaping elements and use a rocker profile more like a mnid-gen Cochise than fully cambered.

the BMX105HP is like a skinny lotus 120 with kastle construction. It’s a super cool and unique ski, and I have plans for it in the future, but it isn’t referenced yet

hope that helps clarify. I’ll update the website accordingly. Glad for your question, it is a good one.

and thanks for all the kind words and orders everyone!
    Last edited by Marshal Olson; 01-06-2022 at 07:48 AM.

this is soooo awesome. Well played Marshal, well played. I hope lots of mags order some sticks from you!

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Olson View Post

in reality, I ski my Monster 108’s more than I ski anything else. I just wish they were a little wider and that the 184 (that is actually 182cm) was a touch longer. So, in practice, the R120 is much more an intersection of an OG Bodacious footprint with the Monster 108 construction, and basically dead flat with only a tiny bit of tip rocker for maximum crud busting.
    That sounds...amazing. Good luck with this venture, hope I can swing ordering a pair sooner than later.

Hey Coreshot, this is a great question, thank you for asking. The description is how I have been thinking about the R120, but you got me to think more about what the ski actually is.

more generally speaking, the inspiration of the metal skis, across the line, is to bring the super smooth ride of legend pros and monsters back, but fix some of the idiosyncratic shaping elements and use a rocker profile more like a mnid-gen Cochise than fully cambered.

the BMX105HP is like a skinny lotus 120 with kastle construction. It’s a super cool and unique ski, and I have plans for it in the future, but it isn’t referenced yet

hope that helps clarify. I’ll update the website accordingly. Glad for your question, it is a good one.

and thanks for all the kind words and orders everyone!
    Oh shit, that has my attention. From the renders on the site I was thinking they had more camber than that.

FKNA, Marshal, this is cool as hell. Good luck on your endeavor!

I'm broke AF right now, and not much of a charger these days, so lots has to change in my life for these skis to speak to me, but I love the idea.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Damn, a slightly more manageable Legend Pro sounds dreamy. I loved that ski so much but got to a point where I spent most of my time touring and on the few days I got at the resort I couldn't really handle them as they weren't exactly forgiving. They tended to handle me pretty hard though...
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

The 120 metal seems like a big dump, with a bit more tip and tail and thus more sidecut
    I like it. More useful than the original.

Curious about why not more tip rocker, once you put metal in a ski.
    E.g. why not a metal version of a lotus 120?

My bamboo flex 3 lotus 120 is super stable at high speed.

The red sled regular flex is tip flappy at high speed on a groomer.

Both are fun in fresh pow.

I’ve often wondered about a metal lotus 120 flex 2 that could be softer and yet damp.

I know Stephan was all about light and snappy. And carbon.
    It wasn’t until the end when he got to pure 3 and hybrid that dps started to get more damp.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    The 120 metal seems like a big dump, with a bit more tip and tail and thus more sidecut
    I like it. More useful than the original.

Curious about why not more tip rocker, once you put metal in a ski.
    E.g. why not a metal version of a lotus 120?

My bamboo flex 3 lotus 120 is super stable at high speed.

The red sled regular flex is tip flappy at high speed on a groomer.

Both are fun in fresh pow.

I’ve often wondered about a metal lotus 120 flex 2 that could be softer and yet damp.

I know Stephan was all about light and snappy. And carbon.
    It wasn’t until the end when he got to pure 3 and hybrid that dps started to get more damp.
    I could totally make a heavy/metal in the 120 shape.

When you say heavy, how heavy do you mean?
    Like 2500g heavy? or like 2300g "heavy"?

I personally prefer a 30m radius to a 48m radius on a big damp board like this, but easy to do for sure.

Order 1001…does that mean I’m the first?

C’mon TGR mags…support this man for everything he’s done for our community…

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    There was J, Double J, KJ, JJ, another guy who said 'Just Call Me J', Shaggy, and a guy who called himself Whooshit.

I could totally make a heavy/metal in the 120 shape.

When you say heavy, how heavy do you mean?
    Like 2500g heavy? or like 2300g "heavy"?

I personally prefer a 30m radius to a 48m radius on a big damp board like this, but easy to do for sure.
    I wasn’t thinking heavy.

Just a bit of metal and rubber. But with early rise and a bit of tail rocker, which is so playful in pow. Metal and rubber for dampness.

And wouldn’t have to be a lotus 120 clone.
    Wouldn’t have to be hudge radius.

Just a thought I’ve always had about metal dampness and early rise slarving.

Has there been such a ski?

Playful in pow, but can charge through chunder.

The RP was so fun and playful. But no fun trying to bomb back to the lift in chunder. As is the 138. 138 dominates pow. But I never saw RP as a resort ski since it was so floppy. And if it’s pure pow, why not 138. Fuck the RP.

I know plenty of folks that liked the RP (wife still rides it), but they don’t charge. In which case, it’s a fun playful ski that never gets floppy since they don’t charge.

The RPC was fun. But lost the playfulness and slarve of the original. I wish Stephan hadn’t taken out so much rocker when going from RP to RPC.

I dig the fact that you’re bringing back some classics, with blended improvements. But maybe you can also make a new ski, based on your experience and insight.
    . . .

Anyone have direct comparison between the super goats and the lotus 120?

@marshall what flex are these lotii coming in?

This is sick! If I ever get round to buying a snowmobile (I should start entering the lottery, it's my only hope) then I'll buy a 138 for sure!

I'm not that keen on any of the graphics to be honest, but that doesn't really matter.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Bringing Back The Best: Lotii And Other Assorted Love Songs

Just bought a pair of 192 138s that I plan on using as a touring ski here in the Sierras, even the 202 got bucked around too much at the resorts here. Really interested in the 120 but I think I’ll need to ski it before I can commit.

This will be my fourth pair of 138s. Lol. 192 OG bamboo, then the 192 red ones before pure 3, the 202s, now these. Awesome stuff Marshal!

Edit, I’m order 1003, c’mon all you big talkers who lamented the disappearance of the Lotii, and Monsters. Put your money where your mouth is!