Page 36 of 71 FirstFirst ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast
    I'm waiting with baited breath for my R99 Comp build skis to arrive, but I'm already starting to drool over these new shapes.

I know more info will come in the next few weeks on the new shapes, but for those with time on Sickles can you please fill me in on how they ski? Where do they excel? My quiver is getting filled with fast chargers (R99, and Bodacious) and I would like to branch out to something ~110 waist that can be a fun DD at lower speeds. My 4 y/o is starting lessons this year, and I want a ski that will allow me to ski forwards and backwards with her while chasing her through trees and the little drainages kids love to explore. I'm starting to debate Jeff110's and these and would love some input by those with time on one and/or both.

Thanks!

Fuck yeah. Will be ordering some C90's in the fall as long as the mount isn't too progressive. Really want a C132 as well...

Quote Originally Posted by TeleBeaver View Post
    Fuck yeah. Will be ordering some C90's in the fall as long as the mount isn't too progressive. Really want a C132 as well...

support the raddest project going: http://heritagelabskis.com

Wait, I wanna hear more about this 110.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Wait, I wanna hear more about this 110.

Quote Originally Posted by arild View Post

That's mint. Lengths??

Quote Originally Posted by TeleBeaver View Post
    That's mint. Lengths??
    Marshal will release it soon enough. Very amenable lengthS.

Marshal will release it soon enough. Very amenable lengthS.

ya! 184/177 for the BC90
    ill post all the specs for everything on Monday!

Quote Originally Posted by PNW Lifer View Post
    I'm waiting with baited breath for my R99 Comp build skis to arrive, but I'm already starting to drool over these new shapes.

I know more info will come in the next few weeks on the new shapes, but for those with time on Sickles can you please fill me in on how they ski? Where do they excel? My quiver is getting filled with fast chargers (R99, and Bodacious) and I would like to branch out to something ~110 waist that can be a fun DD at lower speeds. My 4 y/o is starting lessons this year, and I want a ski that will allow me to ski forwards and backwards with her while chasing her through trees and the little drainages kids love to explore. I'm starting to debate Jeff110's and these and would love some input by those with time on one and/or both.

Thanks!
    The Rossi Sickle is my favourite ski of all time. So much so I’ve got many pairs now since I couldn’t find anything I liked more for a Kicking Horse daily driver. They were my vote to Marshall for the next ski to inspire his HL project.

In a few words they are easy, versatile and fun. They excel at being entertaining, predictable and slashy in pow. They rip on groomers with a long effective edge (almost no taper) and medium radius side cut (21m) they ski switch most excellently in deep pow or groomed runs. I don’t spin much more than 180s but at -6 set back they are well balanced. They are playful and chargy, in that order. I think their best quality is their versatility. They might not be the best ski for a certain condition but they are a great ski for all conditions.

Oh, it's the Sickle? (But like, legally, it's not)

I never understood the attraction of no camber in an every day ski. I guess I'd have to try it. Seems like on crust and icy patches it'd be scary.
    No longer stuck.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Haven't kept track on this thread much since being over on the FL113 thread. Saw the email come out last night/today. FR110 it will be called? 186? Will be not-so-patiently waiting for the specs on Monday. If this is full reverse like Volkl used to make then I'm like way way way way way in.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Yes please!! That C110 appears to be exactly what I'm looking for....

Attachment 445945
    Quote Originally Posted by skisurfmirth View Post
    The Rossi Sickle is my favourite ski of all time. So much so I’ve got many pairs now since I couldn’t find anything I liked more for a Kicking Horse daily driver. They were my vote to Marshall for the next ski to inspire his HL project.

In a few words they are easy, versatile and fun. They excel at being entertaining, predictable and slashy in pow. They rip on groomers with a long effective edge (almost no taper) and medium radius side cut (21m) they ski switch most excellently in deep pow or groomed runs. I don’t spin much more than 180s but at -6 set back they are well balanced. They are playful and chargy, in that order. I think their best quality is their versatility. They might not be the best ski for a certain condition but they are a great ski for all conditions.
    I'll add some notes too since I daily drive the sickle and am super hyped for the FR110.

Versatile and fun while still being able to charge is what makes the Sickle excellent. Playful, but stable when you need it and any turn shape you can think of. Ripping 25m turns on fresh groomed? No problem. Variable zipper crust? Also, no problem. Jump turns into a firm straight line into funky pow? Definitely no problem. Tail end of a 50" cycle's soft chop? Perfect.

I've had (and have) other skis that do certain things better than the Sickle but I've never found another ski that is as much fun in so many different types of conditions. It's a unicorn ski for versatility as long as conditions are somewhat soft and you treat groomers as a way to get to and from the rest of the terrain on a mountain.

The thing I'm most excited about HL bringing the Sickle back is that they are a little longer (at 6' 185 geared up I've found myself wanting a bit more length occasionally since they straight pull to 182 in the longest size) and a better finish. The original sickle might have the thinnest base and edge material of all time. Just look at it wrong and it falls apart.

I'm 100% going to buy the FR 110 but I am also interested in the C110. I've wondered if the same shape in a carbon construction would be rad for mid winter touring here. We do lots of noodle pow touring while avalanche conditions are dangerous and I've yet to find a ski that does that well but also can charge when conditions get safer.

Shit am I really going to buy two brand new skis next year? I guess so

Doesn't not having camber also take away a lot of shock absorption?
    No longer stuck.

Yes and no. I’ve had stiff high camber skis that buck like a bronco. Unless you load them hard on every turn.

Similar to many DPS skis. You had to load them hard. Whereas metal flat skis would let you relax through the chunder.

That's what your boots and bindings are for.

Depends. My flat camber/rocker Corvus will load on edge on firm snow and provide suspension. In 3d snow they have plenty of suspension. Same with my Ravens

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

I never understood the attraction of no camber in an every day ski. I guess I'd have to try it. Seems like on crust and icy patches it'd be scary.
    I guess it depends where you ski. Crust/icy is very very rare unless trying to ski re-frozen stuff at 9am in April inbounds. 95% of the time any of the reverse with sidecut skis I have owned can do it all including rail on groomers.

I've been a reverse fanboy since the Spatula and rarely ski cambered skis. On really firm snow I will ski the BMX105 HP. Otherwise, I am flat/rocker or reverse all day everyday.

I've converted a few friends over the past few years and after about 3 or 4 laps they are pretty much selling all their regular cambered skis.

I've come to the conclusion that I really just need / want 2 every day skis. As long as things are even a little bit soft, I love reverse camber skis. You don't need suspension, because the suspension's in the snow. They don't produce an energetic exit from a carved turn, but I don't really care about that if the snow quality is good - energetic carving is for low tide.

I still like having a (cambered) ski that works well on firmer snow though. With a winter like we're having in whitefish where most days we've been right on the line between pleasantly soft and kinda firm and crusty, I tend to bring both skis to the hill. But I end up skiing my reverse cambers a lot more often, because they're super fun.

I think this FR110 is some of the best news in YEARS. I, personally, don't have any interest in them but at least now we won't have to listed to the Sickle fanboys whimper for another decade about how there isn't a replacement for their Sickles.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I've come to the conclusion that I really just need / want 2 every day skis. As long as things are even a little bit soft, I love reverse camber skis. You don't need suspension, because the suspension's in the snow. They don't produce an energetic exit from a carved turn, but I don't really care about that if the snow quality is good - energetic carving is for low tide.

I still like having a (cambered) ski that works well on firmer snow though. With a winter like we're having in whitefish where most days we've been right on the line between pleasantly soft and kinda firm and crusty, I tend to bring both skis to the hill. But I end up skiing my reverse cambers a lot more often, because they're super fun.
    Maybe you get less crust and refrozen junk up at Whitefish than we do at Snowbowl.
    No longer stuck.

Maybe you get less crust and refrozen junk up at Whitefish than we do at Snowbowl.
    Yeah. The upside of Whitefish being cloudy 98% of the time is that the sun doesn't mess up the snow.

But I will say, full reverse makes zipper crust a whole lot more fun to ski.

OK! Hi everyone, a little earlier than originally planned, but well... today is the day!

Launching the Fall '23 preorders for the Freeride and Carbon skis. A few quick comments:

1. I am making deposits with the factory now, so that we can secure an earlier production slot this year. I expect skis to ship to everyone approx Nov 15 to Dec 1st as of now.
    2. I have some test skis coming approx April 1st and will publish specs/weights/etc as soon as I have em.
    3. The 132, 113, and Raceroom skis have turned out exactly how I had hoped and are coming back unchanged for next year. There are a couple pair of these skis left for ship right away as well... availability on the site is up to date.
    4. We are adding new shapes along to the mix: a 110mm reverse camber surfy ski built around a -6 mount, a directional 105mm daily driver, and a 90mm shape specifically designed for fast and efficient BC action.
    5. I am offering FREE SHIPPING on 2+ pair of skis ordered (through March 1st). Use the code PreOrderFreeShip to access that!
    6. Longer term, if this round goes well, I am planning to add shorter lengths on a few models. Please email/dm me with interest if so inclined.
    7. Pre-order price is $699+ship on both the freeride and carbon skis until the spring when the pre-order closes (est. April 15 to May 1st)
    8. I will only produce 1-2 extra pair of skis of each model beyond what is pre-ordered. So honestly, now is the time.

Preorders are now open... please feel free to visit www.heritagelabskis.com
    Last edited by Marshal Olson; 02-06-2023 at 02:35 PM.

MEET THE BC90

After skiing a huge host of light touring skis, I fell in love with the efficiency, loved the best skis in the class' ability to pivot and slarve, but generally came away with utter disappointment in skiing across the rest of the touring skis out there. The BC90 is my expression of the ultimate touring ski. crazy nimble, great float for the wdith, and very competent in challenging skin tracks due to the smallest amount of camber.

LEARN MORE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-02-06 at 1.15.52 PM.png 
Views:	87 
Size:	284.2 KB 
ID:	446499  
    Last edited by Marshal Olson; 02-06-2023 at 02:36 PM.

MEET THE BC110

One thing that really stuck out to me in my investigations of the best touring skis, was that highly rockered skis are amazing on the down, but fully rockered leaves a lot to be desired on tough skin tracks. The modern 110 shape (designed around a -6cm ski waist) is built with high quality carbon, a very progressive rocker profile, and the bare minimum of camber to dramatically save time and energy on the up.

LEARN MORE

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-02-06 at 1.19.43 PM.png 
Views:	89 
Size:	376.7 KB 
ID:	446502  
    Last edited by Marshal Olson; 02-06-2023 at 02:36 PM.

MEET THE C105

For those seeking a more directional ride than the 110, the 105 is a skinnier BC daily driver based on the 113 rocker profile (small flat spot with (1mm camber). I see this as the ideal 1 ski touring quiver for bigger mountains that get modest snowfall.

LEARN MORE

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-02-06 at 1.22.19 PM.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	332.8 KB 
ID:	446504  
    Last edited by Marshal Olson; 02-06-2023 at 02:37 PM.