Page 5 of 70 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Man am I having flashbacks to discussing metal in skis and the t2 105 over sushi in Aspen with ya. Dang, I’m stoked to see this.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Great project. If you ever build an 186 ehp copy with metal I’d be super excited.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Trigger pulled on 192 C138, let's make it happen!

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Great project. If you ever build an 186 ehp copy with metal I’d be super excited.

I mean that R120 doesnt seem too far off no?

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Olson View Post
    UPDATES!

- The 192 C138 is already 50% the way to green light. That ski needs a few more orders, but in a great place.
    - I have been able to negotiate lower minimums on the Raceroom skis. These look really good too.
    - The 190 C120 is in next place, 25% the way there. If you want 'em... now is the time!
    - Whole lot of interest via DM and Email on the 202 C138 and 200 C120, but only a couple of orders for each.

There is interest on a heavy freeride 200 120. I will add it to the website and officially open to order, since that will help put more skis through the mold. Vitamin I asked in theory for a heavy freeride 202 138. If there is real interest here, I can add those too, again, more skis through the mold is good for these two in particular.

At least they both have good alliteration, haha

I really liked the newer purple 138s (but haven't skied any more recent versions of since this one), but don't personally think of them as the definitive version. They were definitely a different ski. They have a 32m radius IIRC which does change how it pivots and drifts. There were also a number of different rocker profiles, mostly all were full reverse (to make up for the sidecut).

The R99 is going to be pretty similar to the Wailer 105, which was essentially me making my own personal ski, haha. And alot like a legend pro. The LP could be a little boardy and shaping has evolved a bit to help the skis feel more drifty without sacrificing any fall line stability, but the feel itself is going to be very similar.

Not sure if this is helpful, just trying to be honest!

Let me land a couple things and revert back in a couple days.

In case this lost in the shuffle, Flex 3 for the 20x and flex 2.5 for the 19x versions.

Sorry, missed this one. It is sort of the other way around. When Noridica started making skis in like 2003-ish, they commissioned this factory to make their high end stuff, like the FF9.1 / W105 and later on the Supercharger Blower and Girish. The factory still makes Nordica's WC and FIS skis (as well as for other companies too). At least to the best of my knowledge.
    The Wailer 105 T2 was a niche ski that had no top end I could find. I skied that thing over 70 mph and was blown away...
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    I mean that R120 doesnt seem too far off no?
    Looks like it doesn’t have the tip and tail taper that combined with the rocker really give the ehp that loose feel

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Man am I having flashbacks to discussing metal in skis and the t2 105 over sushi in Aspen with ya. Dang, I’m stoked to see this.
    omg
    great memories, haha

C138 202cm and C120 in 190cm just ordered.
    What a great project here! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post

Re: my e-mailing,marshal. Not opposed to a 193 metal replica either.

Sent fra min LYA-L29 via Tapatalk

Really digging the tip splay on the 105.
    https://blisterreview.com/gear-revie...s-wailer-105/3

But all these heritage metal ski profiles look old school to me.
    Am I missing something?

I never rode the 105. But it looks good.

But the splay on my blizzards are sweet and with the metal layup they don’t bounce and flap. And the splay makes it fun to play.

Sometimes nostalgia is just nostalgic.
    I remember borrowing an old pair of volkl snow rangers and dropping thigh deep into the Spock chutes, thinking to myself, wtf, these used to be easy. Lol.

I could see buying the 99 if it had more splay.

Not wanting to rain on any parades. Sometimes an old ski was just the right time and place and youthful exuberance to be so fun. Memory and reality don’t always align.

The lotus shapes are timeless and revolutionary, however.
    A niche ski that dps gave up on as they got more corporate. So nice to see them back.
    . . .

Mmm flat camber metal skis.

Good questions!

I can't speak for other people, but I ski "less rockered / more stable" skis in this class most days presently. Here is the lineup of "daily drivers".

The Monster 184 (bumped or variable) and 191 (buff bluebird) makes even the most marginal snow amazing. They are the cleanest drifting skis (on firm snow) that I have ever been on. As you can see, I bent the slightest bit of rocker into the tips. This is how the tips of the R120, R99, and R87 will deliver. The R120 and R99 will be closer to flat than the monster pictured.

The Bonafide is an awesome ski. But it isn't what I am going for with an R99. The R99 is designed to be an every day replacement for people that love Monster 98s or OG Legend Pros, not a Bonafide or Mantra.

The BMX105 is basically a skinny pow ski, as you can see by it's tip/tail taper and overall profile. The LPR isn't my cup of tea compared to the Monster skis (going up for sale in the next day or two), but glad to have given it a go as part of this project.

But the punchline is that at least one person is all about low camber micro rocker, haha.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5632.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	606.7 KB 
ID:	400738   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5635.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	363.6 KB 
ID:	400739   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5637.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	292.6 KB 
ID:	400740   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5634.jpg 
Views:	495 
Size:	227.4 KB 
ID:	400741  

Click image for larger version. 

If that’s “micro rocker” I’m loving it.

The website didn’t lead me to that tip rocker. The side profiles looked way more old school.

I retract my previous statements.

That is looking good.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

If that’s “micro rocker” I’m loving it.

The website didn’t lead me to that tip rocker. The side profiles looked way more old school.

I retract my previous statements.

That is looking good.
    The R120 keeps getting better

Sent this to text to Marshal

That tip rocker profile on the monster 108 I heard was money. Perfect for destroying crud, holing a nice arc on the firm and floating enough for what the ski was. That profile on a on the 120 with a 145 shovel, flat camber and mount point should make that a all day pow slayer at all four of the cottonwood resorts. It will also kill spring conditions, gobel crud and slay choppy soft groomers. Damnit you made a ski I need.

His response was yup.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If ski companies didn't make new skis every year I wouldn't have to get new skis every year.

www.levelninesports.com
    http://skiingyeti.blogspot.com/

I'm in on the R99s and R120s order #10 maybe there's a tee shirt in it. Love your thinking on design Marshal, thanks for doing this.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Very cool idea. I'll probably be in the minority, but I wish the C120 was offered in Flex 2 at the 190cm length.

I'll probably still buy a pair.

just pulled the trigger on a pair of C138s

going with the "better to ask forgiveness than permission" approach here with the partner

fucking stoked, thanks for making this happen Marshal

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Olson View Post
    But the punchline is that at least one person is all about low camber micro rocker, haha.
    Too bad you didnt like the LPRs, but youre spot on about the little bit of rocker in the tip. The pro-riders really surprised me with how quick they are despite being all death chargey. I think the little bit of tip rocker they added in the latest updates helped alot.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerMonkey View Post
    Too bad you didnt like the LPRs, but youre spot on about the little bit of rocker in the tip. The pro-riders really surprised me with how quick they are despite being all death chargey. I think the little bit of tip rocker they added in the latest updates helped alot.
    Oh dude, I wouldn't say I didn't like them! Sorry for giving that impression. It would be more that I prefer a slightly different shade of grey (ie the monsters).

What's the timeline for pulling trigger on these sticks Marshall?

The current super pre-order price is probably good for another couple weeks or month.

all depends on how fast the fence sitters get on board!

The rocker on those Monsters looks like the old Movement Goliath tip shape.

What are the odds of an R99 without *gasp* metal? All wood, a bit less destroyer and a bit more does everything?

Questions about sizing the C138 and whether to mount alpine, tech, or CAST.

6', 195lbs. Ski in California/Tahoe, so maritime snowpack. All touring or resort; sadly, I'm not a heli-skier.

I tour winter months on 187 Protests with pin bindings (Alpinist). For resort, have 188 Rustler 11s for resort pow, and a pair of 196 Protests I just bought off gear swap. (Plus narrower skis for other applications of course.)

It seems everyone says the 202 is surprisingly easy to ski, and saw lots of folks similarly-sized to me liking the 202. Which size do I want? Seems like the 202 might be unicorn that I need to ride before she disappears forever.

I was also very surprised to read folks talking about them as daily drivers, even the day after the storm Can't decide whether to point a pin binding or CAST on there. Leaning towards CAST, but I sure do love touring on my Protest/Alpinist combo. Any insight on touring versus resort applications?

That R99 also looks very tasty.
    sproing!

I think 138s as a daily driver would be an ambitious choice, at least the earlier version shape these are. Unless you ski at a cat or heli-op daily.

202s ski like a 185 in most spots unless you need to throw them sideways in a gulley or very tight trees. Then the length can become apparent. But they pivot/slide/turn easy but offer float and running surface like a 202 when it gets deep.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Questions about sizing the C138 and whether to mount alpine, tech, or CAST.

6', 195lbs. Ski in California/Tahoe, so maritime snowpack. All touring or resort; sadly, I'm not a heli-skier.

I tour winter months on 187 Protests with pin bindings (Alpinist). For resort, have 188 Rustler 11s for resort pow, and a pair of 196 Protests I just bought off gear swap. (Plus narrower skis for other applications of course.)

It seems everyone says the 202 is surprisingly easy to ski, and saw lots of folks similarly-sized to me liking the 202. Which size do I want? Seems like the 202 might be unicorn that I need to ride before she disappears forever.

I was also very surprised to read folks talking about them as daily drivers, even the day after the storm Can't decide whether to point a pin binding or CAST on there. Leaning towards CAST, but I sure do love touring on my Protest/Alpinist combo. Any insight on touring versus resort applications?

That R99 also looks very tasty.
    I'm about your size/weight and ski in the same area. If I were buying a new set, I'd get the 202cm L138 - partly because it isn't terribly hard to locate a used set of 192s, but the 202s are much more rare. Either size will be fine to float you in any pow.

My touring pow ski is an old L120, 190cm. I've never toured on the 138.

The 138 is not a daily driver, and IMHO not even a day after the dump ski for Tahoe - that width is hard on my knees once it's chopped up. Utah fluff skis fine a day or two later on a 138, Sierra cement not so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.