Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sessiøn View Post
    No. I'm not sick of leaving the same ID card in the same pocket of my jacket for multiple seasons, nor am I tired of not having to pull my pass out of my pocket to be scanned or looked at every time I load.
    This. / thread
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

That’s true if you’re skiing at the same place on the regular. But if you’re using something like the Indy pass, or a season pass from ski Cooper, then you’re looking at paying that five dollar fee every two or three days of skiing. And it’s just one more annoying step between you and getting on the lift first thing in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by cloud cult View Post
    our season pass gives us days at copper, and when we went the first time we had to pay $5 each for RFID cards. then this week we went to monarch and now they require rfid cards. We also got the Indy Pass and the first two places we go do require rfid cards -- sunrise and pomerelle. at pomerelle to get my card i had to go online, create a profile, upload a picture, provide all sorts of information, and opt out from receiving the daily snow report email, summer fun activity updates, and polite reminders that there is night skiing this Friday - keep in mind that pomerelle's target demographic is very casual skiers from burley, Idaho. for a family of 3 we now have $60 invested in RFID cards and we are only 3 weeks into the ski season.

rfid cards provide no benefit to skiers and a lot of drawbacks. they are easy to lose or forget on the desk at home, they are not refundable, and they can snarl liftlines since you usually don't pass through the scanner until seconds before you get on the lift. plus, there is no one controlling the lift line since that person is now behind the turnstile to help people who had the misfortune of misplacing their cards or putting them in the same pocket they are using to hold medium-power magnets.

supposedly i could take my RFID card, go online, and recharge it for a day of skiing from the comfort of my home computer except that never works for reciprocal pass holders or the indy card.

i know they are all over Europe but at least there you can drop them into a machine and get your money back.

what was so wrong with printed tickets that you attached with a zip tie?

sorry, end of rant
    RFID provide massive benefits, for everyone. Less theft and labor for the ski area. Once you have one, just reload it. You can ski more laps without pulling out a ticket every time. For data nerds tracking stats is cool.
    Having a sticky ticket and wicket on your body is as ancient and using cash.

OP, if you skiing multiple areas with a mega pass, $60 is chump change

$60 might be chump change for some of you high rollin dental types, but that there $60 got me two nights in this here fucking top-notch kellogg motel so that I could rip the shit out of jackass mountain on my last indy safari.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	66677E2C-6BDA-4F11-90B7-1F278179FE8E.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	458.3 KB 
ID:	399849

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post

Deal breaker for me. No way am I skiing with the same hair color every day. Gotta match the jacket.

The $5 fee for the card is a bottle deposit.

It’s to encourage reusing instead of throwing it away.

I only had one card rejected when they changed systems for some reason. Every other hill has been consistent for years.
    . . .

$60 might be chump change for some of you high rollin dental types, but that there $60 got me two nights in this here fucking top-notch kellogg motel so that I could rip the shit out of jackass mountain on my last indy safari.

A family of 3 got 12 lift tickets for $60. Chump change for ANYONE

The (in)famous Fugitive's Flophouse?

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Going one step further, why can't they figure out a way to upload my Ikon pass onto my Pfizer chip? No COVID vax, no ski. Works for me!
    I hear it's in the 4th booster

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Sweet blog

had to, it's been awhile

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    I emailed Indy and told them it was shady to charge each place. It is what it is.
    Your strongly worded letter was only partially read and then swiftly deleted.

I now see why Plake was forced into purchasing an RV.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

What is stupid is that Epic keeps sending me a new pass every year instead of just "reauthorizing" my old pass. I do change back and forth from the full pass to the local depending on if I'm skiing Telluride or over the holidays, but that shouldn't make any difference.

Ikon has the same stupidity.

And they also send stickers and patches and other shit I throw away.

Ironically, they wouldn’t let me upload new pictures of my kids.
    So the pics the liftie is looking at look nothing like my kids. Fully expecting them to get flagged.

Logic and ikon/epic do not go together.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Oh it could be if you really wanted it to be.

If you actually re load the card the way the system is designed you aren’t continuing to pay for the RFID tech. The cards are reusable year over year.

Many season passes have companion or buddy discount tickets that come with them and are easily transferable through the system. If the rfid charge was built in and your friend transfers you a discounted ticket code because you’re blacked out and it’s snowing you’d be paying that extra five bucks, again.

Sent from the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen
    I guess what I'm saying is that RFID cards and readers have a cost, but that cost is (arguably) offset by less need for labor, less lost income, etc. Therefore charging me the extra $5 per card is just a nickle and dime bullshit expense. Sure, if I loose my card, charge me $5 as an incentive to keep track of it but otherwise it should already be baked into the overall cost/savings to the resort.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Ikon has the same stupidity.

And they also send stickers and patches and other shit I throw away.

Ironically, they wouldn’t let me upload new pictures of my kids.
    So the pics the liftie is looking at look nothing like my kids. Fully expecting them to get flagged.

Logic and ikon/epic do not go together.
    Before iClown, I used the same pass for over decade. It was kinda a badge of honor...still hangs from my rearview mirror to remind me of the good old days. Now, I get a package of plastic for the trash from them each season to show their exceptional commitment to the environment. I wouldn't be caught dead using one of their gaper iClown stickers, patches, magnets or douche covers.

Quote Originally Posted by nordekette View Post
    I am very sensitive... the scanners give me slight headache. If i get jammed in a scanner for more then 20seconds i have to vomit.

The rfid chip itself isn´t problem.... the scanners are the problem....
    Skidata scanner is better then the axess scanner imo : )
    Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 354
Size:  408.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Sessiøn View Post
    No. I'm not sick of leaving the same ID card in the same pocket of my jacket for multiple seasons, nor am I tired of not having to pull my pass out of my pocket to be scanned or looked at every time I load.
    I've got like 8 different ski jackets and grab a different one each time depending on conditions and the ski I'm likely to ski. Most metrosexual skier ever.. To be fair it's only a 3-5 day a year problem right now because kids in college suck all my play money.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Season pass RFID cards are fine--no extra cost, convenient. RFID cards that you have to buy to load a week's worth of day passes on a ski trip--I feel the same way about those as I do about "convenience fees" when I buy tickets for a show on line. Just part of the great corporate rip off of America.

Glad Sugar Bowl finally got RFID gates. You used to have to have your pass scanned every run. The kid would stand well back from the crowd so you'd get to stop to have your pass scanned and then pole your way up to the queue instead of being able to glide into line. Or there would be no line but there would six people waiting for one kid to scan their passes which they seemed to have a hard time finding even though they went through the same thing the run before. (To be fair no one ever said anything if I went around them and got on the chair without being scanned.

Let's be clear--if there's any kind of line at all a chair going up without a butt in it is a crime against humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 354
Size:  408.0 KB

I've got like 8 different ski jackets and grab a different one each time depending on conditions and the ski I'm likely to ski. Most metrosexual skier ever.. To be fair it's only a 3-5 day a year problem right now because kids in college suck all my play money.
    I keep my card in my ski pants.

the lack of wickets has resulted in alot of clogged glass at local saftey meetings

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Glad Sugar Bowl finally got RFID gates. You used to have to have your pass scanned every run.
    Same. And the new scanners are really nice, you can glide right up and they'll open quickly unlike the ones at Squawlpine.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

I like the ones that stay open after the person in front of you goes through and then close on you when you're half way through.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    I keep my card in my ski pants.
    I have more pants than jackets
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

What are you supposed to do if you're going for GNAR BN ECPs?

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    the lack of wickets has resulted in alot of clogged glass at local saftey meetings
    now we're getting to the root of the problem
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy