Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Montreal area must skis

Anyplace that isn't Jay and is closer than Quebec City? Spent quite awhile searching and didn't find much. Thx.
    [quote][//quote]

I have not been there in probably 25 years but Mt. Sutton was always my favourite hill when I lived back east. Not that much closer than Jay but it had a real cool vibe and tons of good glade skiing back when I skied it.

Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Tremblant has the most terrain, Sutton has good tree skiing. I grew up skiing at Owl’s Head and it has a decent amount of vert with amazing views.

I've never skied at Orford, but you should consider it.

For great skiing you really need to go down to Jay or over to Le Massif.

Quote Originally Posted by BiggC View Post
    Tremblant has the most terrain, Sutton has good tree skiing. I grew up skiing at Owl’s Head and it has a decent amount of vert with amazing views.

I've never skied at Orford, but you should consider it.

For great skiing you really need to go down to Jay or over to Le Massif.
    Also an over looked but fun hill is Massif de Sud (not Le Massif de Charlevoix). I've even toured off the top. Get's an unusual amount of snow and has some good steeps (not a ton of vert, but steep). But is far from Montreal.

Closer - Did some night tours on Mount Royal in Montreal, and skied the short steep side dropping into downtown.....different.

All the areas mentioned here are good, but with the heavy omicron restrictions right now it's kind of a bummer. No chalet access except to pee and warm up, bars-restaurants closed, take out is available, but the soup wont stay very warm outside or in the car. Tremblant is north of Montreal so farther. All the other hills mentioned are south-east of the city, so closer to the border.

ETA: Massif du Sud is a bit out of the way, but i heard good things.
    27° 18°

Montreal?

St. Catherine's St.

or Jay

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by ski_it View Post
    Closer - Did some night tours on Mount Royal in Montreal, and skied the short steep side dropping into downtown.....different.
    Always thought of doing that when I was at McGill but never got around to it.

Thanks all, should have clarified that this is for the next few days, so...I saw that Sutton lists an alarmingly low trail count. Probably not worth it under those conditions? Was just hoping for something not Jay/Mont St. Anne that would be more interesting than Tremblant, but for the next little while I'm guessing may have to play it safe and do Tremblant.

Prepared to deal with all the restrictions--will be a trip back to how things were all of last year, I guess.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    Thanks all, should have clarified that this is for the next few days, so...I saw that Sutton lists an alarmingly low trail count.
    I was just back in the Eastern Townships over the holidays. There wasn't much snow. It stayed cold and we got a few dustings that improved things, but then it warmed up around New Years and it melted then froze. There was a ~20 cm dump just after New Years, but it's pretty thin under that.

You could probably have some fun on rock skis ducking ropes. But conditions are unlikely to be amazing off the groomers.

Massif de Sud is interesting. Also they had snowcat skiing when I was there (poached that on my tour since the cat wasn't running at the time). Not sure if that is still going.

I'd do my best to avoid Tremblant on a
    weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    I was just back in the Eastern Townships over the holidays. There wasn't much snow. It stayed cold and we got a few dustings that improved things, but then it warmed up around New Years and it melted then froze. There was a ~20 cm dump just after New Years, but it's pretty thin under that.

You could probably have some fun on rock skis ducking ropes. But conditions are unlikely to be amazing off the groomers.
    this is a very accurate conditions report.
    27° 18°

Low snow back east?

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    Low snow back east?
    we certainly didn't get the 69cms dump i heard about out west.
    27° 18°

Quote Originally Posted by danmelon View Post
    we certainly didn't get the 69cms dump i heard about out west.
    Yep, 69cm of new snow is… wait for it… Nice!

Le Massif is a pretty good hill, especially if you’ve already hit Tremblant and St. Anne and are looking to change things up.

Saint Sauveur and Mont Sutton are worth mentioning.

Yes, Sutton, Sauveur, and Massif all make sense, although I don't think we're going to get up to QC area, unfortunately. Will have to do this again at some point when the snow is better.

Any Americans crossed the border recently? I assume if you have your vax/negative test result and have uploaded properly it goes smoothly?
    [quote][//quote]

Mont-Ste-Marie is a bit far I'm guessing. Closer for me, but not from MTL.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyg82 View Post
    Mont-Ste-Marie is a bit far I'm guessing. Closer for me, but not from MTL.
    Been a pretty long time since I skied there, but I don’t recall it being good enough to consider it for a cross border trip?

From Ottawa, it was a decent choice if you wanted something better than the hills just across the Quebec border, but weren’t willing to drive to Trembant.

Yeah, I agree, it’s good, but not a cross border standalone trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

OK, so I guess next question is if there are any good Tremblant tips (considering current snow). I skied there decades ago and remember being somewhat underwhelmed, but if there's non-obvious stuff worth skiing (or I guess anything else to know about going there) that would be appreciated. Have to figure out which of the smaller places it will make sense to go to given current conditions.
    [quote][//quote]

If you're driving park on the north side. That way you avoid the village/gondola cluster fuck. Easier to get to your car for lunch too.

I too am kinda meh on Tremblant. A hill on a hill is the best description I've heard. But it is the biggest in the region and can be fun on the right day.

Sutton with lots of snow is a total blast.

Right now you need to purchase ticket online ahead of time otherwise you won't get access. Bromont isn't too bad right now considering the lack of snow we have accross Quebec right now. Sutton on the weekend has long line and also the number of trails are limited. Personnally I would stick to Bromont, Saint-Sauveur or Tremblant because of their capacity for snowmaking.

Also some resort request vaccination proof (Bromont for sure).