Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shmueldafool View Post
    Damn, thanks for sharing all the info in this thread, incredibly helpful. At 5'11, I'm torn between the 186 and 194. Anyone have a similar experience when choosing between lengths? Would love some insight into the decision.
    I'm 6 foot, getting my 194 over de weekend then I hope I can relate shortly. Haven't tested the 186, just eye checked them and the rocker profile on them is quite huge, as the cambered section is really small so even without sking them I knew I need to go up to 194. My side country is packed with quite narrow trees so in a few days I can say I've made the right choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Stenis View Post
    Are there conditions when you would still prefer R11s over the Blanks?
    Always, I wouldn’t grab the R11s ever over the Blanks, and I’ve always liked blizzards skis.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Salomon QST Blank

Quote Originally Posted by Stenis View Post
    Are there conditions when you would still prefer R11s over the Blanks?
    Back in Whistler. Today was good vis, no lines and great snow coverage everywhere. All the good stuff was skiable. But really wind crusted as winds were >100 km/h yesterday.

I took the R11s today as a buddy in Whistler is either buying my R11s or my Mindbender 116s. Thought I should ski the R11s one more time.

Dropped into West Cirque a couple of times (so much snow!), snow was pretty deep but had a crust in the untracked.

Wished I was on the Blanks instead of R11s …..so the answer to your question is no. R11s do groomers back to the lift better but that’s it (and a negligible factor).

And this is real funny....my 180cm R11's felt hooky and long in the grabby wind crust. I missed my short, heavy, turny cheater skis.....aka the 178cm Blanks.

Taking them out tomorrow fo sho!

Here's West Cirque today....so much snow. No rocks in entrance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4573.JPG 
Views:	166 
Size:	229.4 KB 
ID:	400098

Name:	D0D4CC3B-BB67-4806-A6A2-EEE9CC720299.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	405.6 KB 
ID:	400097

R11s are looking lonely heading for last Peak lap….I think they know we’re breaking up.

Name:	IMG_4584.JPG 
Views:	163 
Size:	176.5 KB 
ID:	400099
    Last edited by kc_7777; 01-07-2022 at 09:29 PM.

Just got off the Blanks. Skied Blackcomb all day…Spankys, Fraggle etc. No way I would have wanted R11s. Not for one second of any run.

Also don’t think the Blank base gets enough love.

Name:	IMG_4606.JPG 
Views:	225 
Size:	222.5 KB 
ID:	400198

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    Just got off the Blanks. Skied Blackcomb all day…Spankys, Fraggle etc. No way I would have wanted R11s. Not for one second of any run.

I would have liked to have skied Blackcomb with you on my Blanks today!
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post

My wife was pissed when she found out her skis didn’t have cool bases like mine do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

Salomon QST Blank

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    I would have liked to have skied Blackcomb with you on my Blanks today!
    Bandit I’m looking forward to the day we ski WB together.

Today was an awesome bluebird, packed pow day at Whistler. Peak into Red laps all day. Insanity under Red Chair (pictured) may be the perfect Blank terrain?

Sold my Rustler 11s as I left Whistler today.

Blanks 1
    Rustlers 0

Name:	IMG_4630.JPG 
Views:	164 
Size:	211.5 KB 
ID:	400432
    Last edited by kc_7777; 01-09-2022 at 09:35 PM.

Can anyone compare to the old green salomon Q115? My 188s are ready to go from rock pow ski to being a kids yard stick!

good ski?

i dont have anything in the 112 range.

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    good ski?

i dont have anything in the 112 range.

Very good ski. Really good chance at replacing my 115 inbounds and 116 touring skis. TBD if it replaces my 108 too.

Quote Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
    My 188s are ready to go from rock pow ski to being a kids yard stick!
    what is the rock ski to kids yard stick transtition??

Quote Originally Posted by Laps View Post
    what is the rock ski to kids yard stick transtition??

paint one white, mount it to the wall, and track the kids height on it

Ahhh. Got it. And then it transitions to a shot ski when the kid reaches college?

Quote Originally Posted by Laps View Post
    Ahhh. Got it. And then it transitions to a shot ski when the kid reaches college?

that’s why god gave us two skis

So got a few runs today on the 194. Awesome skis. Hope for better snow but snatched some stashes of pow and the rest of places were wind scuffed and chopped snow. These things blew through everything. Had my brother QST 99 in 183 with him and on the slopes I feel they carve better. Will get back with more feedback but I'm super impressed on how they handle everything you throw at them.

Size is spot on for 6 foot / 185 lbs as they ski short and felt easier to initiate turns that my sick day 104 - 186.

Quote Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
    that’s why god gave us two skis

I ❤️ wit
    "Not all who wander are lost"

Has anyone skied both the Deathwish and Blank?

I have 187cm Billy Goats (and have loved the 184s in the past) as my deep day pow skis, but they’re not so exciting on a day with <6 inches of snow or say the day after a storm where I’ll be skiing some steep bumps but then also hiking for an untracked lap at some point during the day.

Then for firm days, I have 186 Enforcer 104s that I also love—find them plenty stable for 95% of my skiing while also being pretty maneuverable and easy to slide the tails around in moguls. However, if I came across a good powder stash, I’d wish I was on a different ski.

What I’m looking for is something that can come close to the Enforcer 104s on firm snow, in terms of decent edgehold, easily able to release the tails, and not too jarring if I hit firm snow, but can also do a solid job if I find powder, or more specifically, at handling either wind or sun-affected powder that’s common in the day(s) after a storm in Tahoe.

Tried 188 Rustler 11s in this role for this year and found the tails too grabby for me on firm snow, plus found the ski to feel a bit too sluggish in weird steep moguls.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeze View Post
    Has anyone skied both the Deathwish and Blank?

I have 187cm Billy Goats (and have loved the 184s in the past) as my deep day pow skis, but they’re not so exciting on a day with <6 inches of snow or say the day after a storm where I’ll be skiing some steep bumps but then also hiking for an untracked lap at some point during the day.

Then for firm days, I have 186 Enforcer 104s that I also love—find them plenty stable for 95% of my skiing while also being pretty maneuverable and easy to slide the tails around in moguls. However, if I came across a good powder stash, I’d wish I was on a different ski.

What I’m looking for is something that can come close to the Enforcer 104s on firm snow, in terms of decent edgehold, easily able to release the tails, and not too jarring if I hit firm snow, but can also do a solid job if I find powder, or more specifically, at handling either wind or sun-affected powder that’s common in the day(s) after a storm in Tahoe.

Tried 188 Rustler 11s in this role for this year and found the tails too grabby for me on firm snow, plus found the ski to feel a bit too sluggish in weird steep moguls.

day after a storm is one of the BG strengths. you sure about that

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    day after a storm is one of the BG strengths. you sure about that
    Depends what mountain we’re talking about—generally where I ski, day after the storm means firm chop/moguls and maybe a little powder. I’m as big of a BG fan as anyone but they’re not as good as other options on firm snow.

Salomon QST Blank

So I bought some Duke PTs with the 100mm brake that I thought would fit on my 112mm Blanks. They don’t really. They are 100mm brakes. Maybe could go to 104mm?

Plus I hate re-mounting.

Started looking for a ~100mm Duke PT 16 ski….

I just measured the new 176cm QST 98 against the 178cm Blank.

Exact same length. WTF.

176 98 = 178 Blank

So f’d. Especially when it’s the same company.

Also the new 98 has same amount of savage tip/tail rocker as the 112 Blank. Basically it’s a narrower Blank.
    I think I would like it.
    Last edited by kc_7777; 02-07-2022 at 08:43 PM.

Maybe they really changed the QST 98 (99?) since I owned it 3 years ago, but I couldn't get rid of it fast enough. It was the opposite of damp. I liked the 106 and still own the 118.

Quote Originally Posted by Beder View Post
    Maybe they really changed the QST 98 (99?) since I owned it 3 years ago, but I couldn't get rid of it fast enough. It was the opposite of damp. I liked the 106 and still own the 118.
    It’s completely changed. Very Blank-like.

Salomon QST Blank

Got a bit of a refresh at Whistler. 6-8” of new snow over a few days, not deep/blower but decent.

Spent most of the weekend on either the Enforcer 104 Free or the Salomon Blank.

I think the Blank did everything better. I find the E104 super easy to ski. The Blank is easier.
    Last edited by kc_7777; 02-07-2022 at 08:39 PM.

How about Blanks vs Enforcer 110s? Anyone with experience on both? I have E104s and like them. The 110s seem like an easy choice for deeper days, but the Blanks sound fun and something new (to me).

Quote Originally Posted by PJG View Post
    How about Blanks vs Enforcer 110s? Anyone with experience on both? I have E104s and like them. The 110s seem like an easy choice for deeper days, but the Blanks sound fun and something new (to me).
    Owned a 191 Enforcer 110, 186 and 191 Enforcer 104, and 186 Blank. Enforcer 110 is easier to ski than the 104. A tad softer and way more surfy. They are a bit more damp, too. Still really capable on groomers. Best in fresh and deep. Not my favorite in crud.

Blank is a much more fun and playful ski. Definitely quicker. The Blank has a lower speed limit. Not having metal, makes a big difference. I love them in low angle or tight quarter. I could see them being a good, playful powder ski complement to the Enforcer 104.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...