Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Grandma's Basement
    Posts
    762

    Tell me what tools you're jazzed about from SlideWright

    Need to buy some stuff from Tognar, and was wondering what tools/supplies folks have bought over the years that they've found good to have laying around before I hit buy on my order.

    So hit me: Whadya got?!?!
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

    www.experiencedgear.net

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Lake Wallenpaupack, PA
    Posts
    1,927
    Check out SlideWright…..owner (Terry) is a maggot.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Grandma's Basement
    Posts
    762
    Shiiiiiiit - forgot about that...

    Let's rephrase the question - what should I get from SlideWright...
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

    www.experiencedgear.net

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Lake Wallenpaupack, PA
    Posts
    1,927

    Tell me what tools you're jazzed about from SlideWright

    I’m a Toko and/or SVST shop guy….so have a shit ton of stuff….

    I use these the most:

    SVST 3 degree Pro side edge
    SVST 2 degree Pro side edge
    SVST 1 degree Pro base edge
    Toko Files
    Toko/DMT Diamond stones
    Toko Arkansas stone
    Toko Gummi stone
    Toko T14 Digital Iron
    Toko Red wax
    Toko Scrapers
    Toko Oval Brushes

    I tend to treat my customers skis better than mine…..I follow the Q and P on my own shit:

    https://youtu.be/Wi4N4duxwgk
    Last edited by BC.; 01-04-2022 at 02:40 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    OR
    Posts
    1,879
    'the best skiing is around the rocks'

    that said, I have done way more mounting work over the years than edge/base work. Most of our rocks have a nice moss grease
    pozi drive driver bits of various lengths
    3.4 and 4.1 stepped drill bits
    wooden and plastic binding hole plugs
    epoxy packets
    also just got to utilize some slidewright nylon heli-coils for a binding heel I ripped out of a ski

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,356
    The base tools

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    473
    Do you have a real Pozidriv 3 screwdriver and/or bits? PH3 just doesn’t cut it as a substitute and eventually strips the shit out of everything.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dystopia
    Posts
    16,083
    If you do any binding work, get a pozi
    And a collared bit.

    Tuning?
    Side guide and file and pony clamp.
    Coarse diamond for burrs and quick touch ups and also for edge finishing. Fuck that racer shit of three different diamonds.
    Iron and scraper.

    Beyond that? Depends on where you live. No local shops here so I have a base guide, Ptex gun, and metal scrapers.
    Eventually I need a base grind and full tune, but do without quite often. Was nice to have a local shop for that. But side filing and hot waxing covers most issues.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    10,228
    If you don't have one already, wax scraper sharpener. You'll wax more than anything and a sharp scraper is rad.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    If you do any binding work, get a pozi
    And a collared bit.

    Tuning?
    Side guide and file and pony clamp.
    Coarse diamond for burrs and quick touch ups and also for edge finishing. Fuck that racer shit of three different diamonds.
    Iron and scraper.

    Beyond that? Depends on where you live. No local shops here so I have a base guide, Ptex gun, and metal scrapers.
    Eventually I need a base grind and full tune, but do without quite often. Was nice to have a local shop for that. But side filing and hot waxing covers most issues.

    How do you like the ptex gun? I have been looking a getting one.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    961
    Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    If you don't have one already, wax scraper sharpener. You'll wax more than anything and a sharp scraper is rad.
    I finally gave in and did this and holy shit did I hold out way way too long. Do it.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    NW WA
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyski View Post
    I finally gave in and did this and holy shit did I hold out way way too long. Do it.
    How much better is it than throwing a bastard file in my vise and running the scraper across that? That's been my MO and seems to work, just wondering what I'm missing out on.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    10,228
    Quote Originally Posted by gavinski91 View Post
    How much better is it than throwing a bastard file in my vise and running the scraper across that? That's been my MO and seems to work, just wondering what I'm missing out on.
    With the handheld manual sharpeners, a little but not a ton of difference. The expensive plugin sharpeners with the little router bit, way better. But they're not cheap.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    1,217
    Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    With the handheld manual sharpeners, a little but not a ton of difference. The expensive plugin sharpeners with the little router bit, way better. But they're not cheap.
    I have a 12” panzer file screwed down, and a length of wood that overhangs it with a vertical face to hold the scraper against so you don’t have to freehand it. Pretty quick to use, pretty cheap, and puts a nice edge on the scraper.

    I re-sharpen before scraping every pair of skis. So much easier to scrape with a sharp edge.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    ID
    Posts
    840
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    I have a 12” panzer file screwed down, and a length of wood that overhangs it with a vertical face to hold the scraper against so you don’t have to freehand it. Pretty quick to use, pretty cheap, and puts a nice edge on the scraper.

    I re-sharpen before scraping every pair of skis. So much easier to scrape with a sharp edge.
    Photo?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Strong and Free
    Posts
    481
    Swix Fiberlene (or similar) - use it between iron and base when waxing to get a thin and even wax layer
    Rotobrush - big time saver vs. hand brushing

    Hardly any scraping needed when these 2 are used together, and less wax used

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    1,217
    Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    Photo?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0FE1BEDB-7FD2-4889-87D2-7AEDACF6E936.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	457.4 KB 
ID:	399734Click image for larger version. 

Name:	543426B6-3A7D-4832-ABC0-9EE7CC3C5081.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	473.6 KB 
ID:	399735


    (Apparently we’re getting sideways photos today)

    It’s ugly cause it’s just quickly made from scraps I had around, but it works so I haven’t had a need to make a prettier version. I clamp it to a bench top, but it could be built into a bench if you have a permanent location for it.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,142

    Tell me what tools you're jazzed about from SlideWright

    Yeah I used to have a panzar file screwed to my bench like that too.
    With a couple of racer kids I broke down and bought the electric sharpener - it might seen excessive but its a total game changer. Puts a much sharper edge on a scraper and that makes for much easier scraping - it might be my favorite tool in the shed. Certainly not the first ski specific tool to buy and probably not worth it for the occasional wax of a pair of free skis but when you’re tuning 4 pair 3-5 times a week its killer.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Only a little late
    Posts
    3,890
    -Tools4Boards Hones are awesome.
    -A coarse aluminum oxide stone for rock damage. Cuts through case-hardened edges better than anything else.
    -Good brushes and/or roto brushes. I like horse hair, nylon, and brass roto brushes complemented by a soft steel oval brush.
    -A proper file card for keeping your files clean.
    -A 5mm+ snowboard scraper. Feels much more solid than the normal ski scrapers.
    "somebody's gotta do it"

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tahoe-ish
    Posts
    2,152
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueNorth View Post
    Swix Fiberlene (or similar) - use it between iron and base when waxing to get a thin and even wax layer
    Rotobrush - big time saver vs. hand brushing

    Hardly any scraping needed when these 2 are used together, and less wax used
    This. Scraping more than a tiny wisp of wax is merely a memory at this point.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,791
    But sure if it was mentioned but the 12AB tap is nice to have as well. Looks like Terry has another option there too (Snoli thread cutter?)

    Agreed on roto brushes and dedicated edge files.

    Good info on the dedicated scraper sharpener. I've been doing the bastard panzer thing and it sounds like an upgrade.

    Anyone got a video on the fibrelene between iron and base technique? The results sound appealing. Are we basically just using the fibrelene to wick away excess wax?

    Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Only a little late
    Posts
    3,890
    Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    But sure if it was mentioned but the 12AB tap is nice to have as well. Looks like Terry has another option there too (Snoli thread cutter?)

    Agreed on roto brushes and dedicated edge files.

    Good info on the dedicated scraper sharpener. I've been doing the bastard panzer thing and it sounds like an upgrade.

    Anyone got a video on the fibrelene between iron and base technique? The results sound appealing. Are we basically just using the fibrelene to wick away excess wax?

    Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    I just drip somewhat sparingly and use the fiberlene between the iron for all passes. It prevents contact between iron and base and spreads a much more even layer. Some use the fiberlene technique for just the final few passes effectively absorbing lots of the wax.
    "somebody's gotta do it"

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dystopia
    Posts
    16,083
    Quote Originally Posted by troth View Post
    How do you like the ptex gun? I have been looking a getting one.
    I love it. It’s not just the extrusion, but it also has a flat part that can help flatten and mash the ptex in.
    Depends on how many core shots you have in a year. When I lived in ski town it was easier to pay by the inch.

    I got one cheap on eBay.
    Most make do with torches and hot pokers, or even a wood branding iron (like soldering iron, but flatter)

    I also preheat the base after cutting out the nasty bits. Otherwise the weld gets cold.

    Most of my welds are mint. Someday I’ll buy some metal grip, since that’s the only time I get failures.


    There’s threads in here. Or interwebs.

    Ptex candles suck.

    PS. Interesting about scraper sharpeners. I just lay course sandpaper or drywall screen on the bench and give it a rub. Might have to upgrade.
    Happiness is a sharp scraper.

    Oh, and no go for me on using my nice edge file on my scraper. Panzer, sure.

    And good point on whoever mentioned a file card. Must have.

    Just taught my youngest how to tune. On of the key things is the more wax you put on, the more you have to scrape, and the sooner you run out.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Rossland BC
    Posts
    1,539
    I recently started using the Tools4Boards Orb and puck system. Loving how simple it is to set my base and edge bevel.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    206
    I’ll go in with a recommend for an electric scraper sharpener. Prior to it I was using a Panzer in a guide. It took me buying a new scraper to realize the scrapers I’d been using and sharpening were not close to the sharpness of the new scraper I had just bought.
    I’ll use a scraper and toss it a bucket when finished with it. Once I have 20 or so in the bucket I’ll pull out the sharpener.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •