Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Ontario 2022

https://youtu.be/EAwfGDGFdk4
    Freedom fighter at Blue last week.

Hauled away by the gazpacho police! Oh the ignominy! Nice to see the po-po so laid back. Somebody shouting about him having a medical exemption? Yup, prolly, I think so...perhaps not.

Two or three inches of powder landed after they groomed last night. Very pleasant this morning. Went out about six last night and it was easy to cut through the freshly fallen snow and contact a nasty underlayer of 'firm'. Sunshine was the cherry on the cake today. Not sure but I think skiing is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by petey_ View Post
    Hauled away by the gazpacho police! Oh the ignominy! Nice to see the po-po so laid back. Somebody shouting about him having a medical exemption? Yup, prolly, I think so...perhaps not.
    Imagine being this guy, though. Must suck to go through life like that.

Don't read the comments on the youtube video though - yikes! They don't understand that any behaviour outside of the norm in a lift line is going to draw jeers from the masses. Let alone acting like a maroon who doesn't have to wear a mask in the lift line like the rest of us who also don't want to.

Ah, the entitlement of the entitled. The medical exemption is a handy excuse because you don't need to prove it. We had an unpleasant situation with such a person at work (outdoor retail) this fall, fortunately the people left under their own steam, despite being offered alternative shopping solutions. I moved on.

Meanwhile, not much new to report due to the weird weather. The Muskoka area received a big bunch of rain followed by a deep freeze and about 8 cm of nice snow to cover up the mess below. Sir Sam's was closed today but Hidden Bump in Huntsville reports excellent conditions. No skiing in in the woods but I did get a pretty picture of dust on crust:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chair feb 18 22.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	482.9 KB 
ID:	406521
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Support Hinterlandian backcountry skiing: wwhsta.org

What an absolute loser. How long was the lift down for? How many people did he purposely inconvenience? Very early in the video it's clear he's not going to get his way, but he has to continue the act. Complete child. It's all about the attention for these sad people.

Funny, I wonder if I saw his car - leaving Blue a couple weeks ago I was behind a car with two Canadian flags and a F@&k Trudeau sticker on the back windshield. Not a pick up truck but a little VW with an obnoxiously loud exhaust. Drive like a complete ass too.

No time for 'real' skiing but had a quick loop at Mono Nordic.

Name:	20220218_162316.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	831.4 KB 
ID:	406537

Name:	20220218_162014.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	406538

Went xc skiing at Hockleycrest yesterday. Never been before, it's along a section of the Bruce Trail on Hockley Valley. Really narrow trails. Kinda weird at first but really cool in the trees.

Name:	20220220_161431.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	406812

More mild wet weather coming, really hoping for the best, have had such great snow this year so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    https://youtu.be/EAwfGDGFdk4
    Freedom fighter at Blue last week.
    Oh dear lord. Medical excemption my ass.

"I can't hear you with your mask on".

Then fights security guards.

Then pretends he's out of breath as he's finally getting arrested.

Whatever.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

So with mild temps and rain all day yesterday I made the really bright decision to go skiing today. Blue is basically a giant sheet of ice, not unexpectedly. And was a bit busier than I've been seeing this year. Of course nowhere near the volumes on a weekend. Not complaining, I swear - if you've seen BM when busy this is nothing in comparison.

Name:	20220223_160147.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	407187

We're really going to need some snow before things change much I assume.

Snow (in the GTA, at least) tonight, and after this weekend it'll warm up a bit.

Any idea how the snowpack is in the woods surrounding Blue? Asking for a friend.

No idea, sorry. Slight chance I'll be up tomorrow, if so I'll check what I can see from the road. Currently I wouldn't be expecting much though but the inbound snow will help.

Are you ever in the Hockley Valley area a bit east of Orangeville? There's a couple defunct ski hills in the area. Not huge of course but the one I saw had surprisingly steep trails. Private property and likely over grown, but on a good snow day.. . Personally I doubt I would have the balls to check it out (poked around last winter and there was a construction crew on site, lots of No Trespassing signs around - I tend to avoid confrontations lol) but if you want more info pm for address.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    No idea, sorry. Slight chance I'll be up tomorrow, if so I'll check what I can see from the road. Currently I wouldn't be expecting much though but the inbound snow will help.

Are you ever in the Hockley Valley area a bit east of Orangeville? There's a couple defunct ski hills in the area. Not huge of course but the one I saw had surprisingly steep trails. Private property and likely over grown, but on a good snow day.. . Personally I doubt I would have the balls to check it out (poked around last winter and there was a construction crew on site, lots of No Trespassing signs around - I tend to avoid confrontations lol) but if you want more info pm for address.
    Hockley is like 45 min from me. But, the Paulster doesn't trespass, man.

I think I know about this old abandoned ski hill. Although it would've been like 22 years ago when I went there tobogganing. It was kinda full of sticks back then. Today would be some definite face-whippers!

Might be worth finding out who owns the land and trying to arrange some sort of.... arrangement. I dunno??

If it's the place I'm thinking of it went private many years ago before closing. Real estate development now? Skied there about 50 years ago and some nice pitches were added after that time.

Some places to check out in this link:

https://skicanadamag.com/closed-runs/#Lost

Petey, Paulster do you recall the name of that hill by any chance? Petey's list mentions Valley Schuss Hockley Valley, I'm assuming that's it? (There's another smaller defunct hill a few kms away, just on the other side of Line 5 so could be either I suppose.)

Paulster for snowpack in the woods these pics are from this afternoon in the trees at Blue. This spot obviously doesn't have any artificial snow. A few inches to maybe a touch over a foot in different areas. Without getting into the micro climates the escarpment create I would assume the general area would be similar. Your friend might want to giddyup.

Name:	20220225_150324.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	945.4 KB 
ID:	407402

Name:	20220225_150341.jpg 
Size:	728.2 KB 
ID:	407403

Name:	20220225_150346.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	407404

hth

I can't report on the woods around Blue Mountain but in the woods of Muskoka, here's the story. The chair paints a deceptive picture, really what we have to ski on is about six inches of lovely fluff on top of a thick but breakable rain crust, which is on top of a very supportive base layer.

Name:	Chair Feb 26 22.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	196.3 KB 
ID:	407476

And there is a lot of this in the way:

Name:	A lot of this.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	427.6 KB 
ID:	407477

I'm heading to Sir Sam's on Monday, pretty stoked. This will be the first time I've sat on a chairlift since February of 2020.
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    Petey, Paulster do you recall the name of that hill by any chance? Petey's list mentions Valley Schuss Hockley Valley, I'm assuming that's it? (There's another smaller defunct hill a few kms away, just on the other side of Line 5 so could be either I suppose.)
    Cedar Highlands I think. Tough to get the history of defunct ski hills in Ontario. You wind up going in circles and finding the same stuff over and over. Maybe someone needs to follow up on this topic and write a book.

Ahh yes, that is correct, found an old trail map from there and it's a match - thank you!

A fun day was had at Sir Sam's today, conditions were pretty good (MGG with a bit of new snow and a few scrapey spots). I have to admit that the "car as base lodge" concept does not fit with my lifetime of ski habits.

Name:	Car as base lodge.jpg 
Size:	260.2 KB 
ID:	407818

Especially when the real base lodge is so close:

Name:	Real base lodge.jpg 
Size:	232.4 KB 
ID:	407819

As vertically challenged as Sir Sam's is, the variety of terrain more than makes up for it, the view is great, and what's not too like about a ski area with runs named Birdwatcher and Banana?

Name:	The Sams view.jpg 
Size:	191.2 KB 
ID:	407820

An accidental selfie reveals my complete helmet/mask/beard fail:

Name:	Beard mask ski fail.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	344.2 KB 
ID:	407821

Fortunately, it was easy to deal with since the hill was so crowded:

Name:	Not too busy.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	190.9 KB 
ID:	407822

In other news, the Ski Canada article about Ontario backcountry is now available for easy online reading:

Where every turns counts

That's a great article. The pants are awesome, and I appreciate the welcoming attitude of the locals who are putting in their work to make this all happen. Yeah, I bought a membership, but it's the actual effort of people that enables things and it's appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    That's a great article. The pants are awesome, and I appreciate the welcoming attitude of the locals who are putting in their work to make this all happen. Yeah, I bought a membership, but it's the actual effort of people that enables things and it's appreciated.
    Got a membership as well.

Crowded hills? Certainly headed towards the end of the season when you ski on to the lifts. Is there somebody else on the lift?

Name:	20220301_095305.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	3.71 MB 
ID:	407904

Yes, skiing after March Break is always the best. Sunshine, tailgates, empty lifts, and I can feel my fingers and toes. Dunno why everyone puts the gear away during the best part of the season!

Quote Originally Posted by petey_ View Post
    Got a membership as well.

Name:	20220301_095305.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	3.71 MB 
ID:	407904
    Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Thanks for your support, gentlemen, much appreciated, If you have nothing going on this Saturday, head up to Limberlost for Worl Telemark Day, and we welcome forms of glisse.

In case you missed it, we celebrated World Telemark Day on Saturday, #dropkneesnotbombs

We Hinterlandians gathered at Limberlost, where conditions were actually pretty good (note that they have gone to shit now with overnight rainI):. Despite the tele theme, there AT skiers, powsurfers and tele brethren all hanging around the campfire:

Name:	Moira at LL.jpg 
Size:	798.4 KB 
ID:	408534

Initiation fee of $43,000! What's their uphill policy?

Exclusive ski club received $1.4M in federal COVID relief amid 'record' year

Financial documents show Georgian Peaks paid $13,000 of income tax, while opening new $13-million lodge

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    Initiation fee of $43,000! What's their uphill policy?

Exclusive ski club received $1.4M in federal COVID relief amid 'record' year

Financial documents show Georgian Peaks paid $13,000 of income tax, while opening new $13-million lodge
    I liked their old lodge. Place had this cool vibe. Bar was always a fun place to be, and just find some dentist's member # to charge your drinks to.

I look forward to another opportunity to check that place out again. Had fun days there back when I wasn't old.