Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Ontario 2022

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    I liked their old lodge. Place had this cool vibe. Bar was always a fun place to be, and just find some dentist's member # to charge your drinks to.

I look forward to another opportunity to check that place out again. Had fun days there back when I wasn't old.
    Had fun days back there when it wasn't private. Total BS.

Quote Originally Posted by ski_it View Post
    Had fun days back there when it wasn't private. Total BS.
    Between ‘73 and ‘76, two of my brothers and I would walk up to Prince Edward drive, get on a bus operated by the Ravens club and get driven up with some 200 or more other kids for a Saturday of skiing with Ravens instructors. Such an awesome program. Loads of fun. The last time I skied there, in 1997 or 1998 it hosted the Track 3 Ski Association fundraiser my employer was title sponsor for. As Ontario ski hills went, it was pretty good, all things considered. By the 1990’s I think it had gone private.

It was there I learned the true meaning of the term “death cookies”…Blue ice I had experienced growing up in the Laurentians. 1970’s grooming was suspect at best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

The whole concept of a private ski club just drives me crazy. Pretty much just an ON and PQ thing I believe? Do these exist in any significant numbers elsewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    The whole concept of a private ski club just drives me crazy. Pretty much just an ON and PQ thing I believe? Do these exist in any significant numbers elsewhere?
    PQ?

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    PQ?
    Province of Quebec.

There have been a few resorts I used to ski at before they went private. Georgian would be nice to go back to and an old co-worker mentioned that if I ever wanted to visit he would let his parents know and they would wave their magic wand.

Was hoping to ski at Searchmont on Sunday but the freezing rain had them closing for the day. Damn! Anybody hit that hill and liked it or not? Nice road trip up there and looking to go back for the camping and fishing on crown land.

Sorry. I was wondering what resorts were private in Quebec. I haven't heard of any.

I raced a few times at Searchmont when I was younger. I remember it being a fun hill with some good pitches. Easily the best hill on the race circuit (Antoine, Timmins, Searchmont, Adanac).

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    Sorry. I was wondering what resorts were private in Quebec. I haven't heard of any.
    Sorry back at ya I don't know of any either.

Yeah its depressing here. As if Ontario wasn't bad enough - everything around Collingwood is private except for Blue, so you can go and spend $90 to stand in lift lines with young whippersnappers all day.

Better than nothing, though!

At least those east of the GTA have Calabogie as an option.

My bad I had it in my mind Quebec had some but now that I think about it I can't name any.

Here's an article about Ontario's private clubs. There's more than I realized.

https://skicanadamag.com/members-only/

Quote Originally Posted by petey_ View Post
    Province of Quebec.
    When I worked for Quebec based companies and now send suppliers cheques I make sure to use the PQ identifier because as a distinct society and nation in a nation it drives the pepsis nuts.

As for Ontario, my boy is in Collingwood for FIS nationals for the next week. I tried to tell him there's a reason there are no speed events there but he'll figure it out.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by dufferdan View Post
    Between ‘73 and ‘76, two of my brothers and I would walk up to Prince Edward drive, get on a bus operated by the Ravens club and get driven up with some 200 or more other kids for a Saturday of skiing with Ravens instructors. Such an awesome program. Loads of fun. The last time I skied there, in 1997 or 1998 it hosted the Track 3 Ski Association fundraiser my employer was title sponsor for. As Ontario ski hills went, it was pretty good, all things considered. By the 1990’s I think it had gone private.

It was there I learned the true meaning of the term “death cookies”…Blue ice I had experienced growing up in the Laurentians. 1970’s grooming was suspect at best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That is cool that you were in the Toronto version of the Raven Ski Club. I was in the Montreal version in the early 70s (yes, I am old). Fortunately, we got to ski at Jay Peak every Saturday. But still loads of fun and I even occasionally run into one my former instructors when I visit Jay.
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Support Hinterlandian backcountry skiing: wwhsta.org

Kind of a sleeper day at BM today. By the time I left I wasn't in the mood to make the drive, but thankfully still did. The snow was a lot better than what I was expecting. I don't think they've got any substantial snow since all that rain they got several days ago but it was really smooth and grippy. Ice patches are still everywhere visible under the snow but they're not slippery at all. A lot of people just ripping it today. Even a telemarker, just absolutely flying.

Least busy day of the season by far. March affect? Gas prices? Walk on village lifts are always a delight.

The fat lady is in the wings. Many cookie crumbs scattered about the pistes lately so I know she will be singing soon.

Any word on Limberlost conditions? We were camping at Mew Lake in Algonquin last weekend and the snow in the woods looked decent. No turns as I was with my buds and our only exercise was walking the local trails. Fun weekend and we used an old tent for a semi-sauna. Heat the rocks in the fire pit, bring them into the tent with metal pails and douse with water.

Sounds fun! We've car camped at most of the spots along 60 but never had the stones to go in the winter.

So cross country skiing is done in my area, barring a significant snowfall.

Was going to say BM should be good for awhile but looking at their webcams it's looking pretty brutal already. February was sure good though!

The fat lady is in the wings. Many cookie crumbs scattered about the pistes lately so I know she will be singing soon.

Any word on Limberlost conditions?
    Nobody has made any first hand reports but the local snowpack is like wet cement at the moment. There is still two feet of snow in the bush but we need a freeze and big dump to make it worthwhile skiing there. Two things that are definitely within the realm of possibility.

Mark your calendars for Saturday, April 2: WWHSTA has worked out a deal with Sir Sams for a private post-closing event. No lifts will be running but we'll have full access to the ski hill for uphill and downhill travel, use of the deck, lodge bathrooms and with any luck, nice spring skiing. More details to come shortly. Minimal fee to cover their staff time and make a donation to some worthy cause.
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Multiglisse View Post

Mark your calendars for Saturday, April 2: WWHSTA has worked out a deal with Sir Sams for a private post-closing event. No lifts will be running but we'll have full access to the ski hill for uphill and downhill travel, use of the deck, lodge bathrooms and with any luck, nice spring skiing. More details to come shortly. Minimal fee to cover their staff time and make a donation to some worthy cause.
    Liking the sounds of this. It would be nice if they allowed folks to set up tents and camp on their property. Long drive to ski. There is a backcountry spot along hwy 118 that would likely work and not all that far from Sir Sam's. Certainly piqued my interest.

The local is closed today due to the rain. Tomorrow should be open and the resort cam is showing them move snow around. Might be good for a few more days this week.

Glen Eden is done. Looks like the end of it all. Will try my best to get out April 2 but that's gonna be a tough sell.

All the clubs on the escarpment are saying they will be open until Easter right now. Here’s hoping!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    All the clubs on the escarpment are saying they will be open until Easter right now. Here’s hoping!
    It doesn't look crazy warm for the next two weeks so that might work. Boler has decided to close until Friday with the rain forecast but the original hill seems to have a decent base. Doubting I'll have a chance to wear my shorts at the hill this year.

Sounds like you had a good time out west Paulster. Not a horrible way to end your season and forecast for Sir Sams has a bunch of snow next week. We'll see if Mrs. petey_ gives me a hall pass.

Lumpy gravy yesterday, an inch of fresh and minus six this morning. Hoping the groomer didn't leave any surprises under that fresh.

What resorts are still open in southern Ontario after today? I doubt Boler will bother after this but they have surprised me in the past.

...and forecast for Sir Sams has a bunch of snow next week. We'll see if Mrs. petey_ gives me a hall pass.
    The forecast is very promising for the WWHSTA gathering at Sir Sam's on Saturday. Web cams show full coverage, though hopefully we get snow and not freezing rain tomorrow:

Webcams and directions here:
    https://sirsams.com/who-we-are/plan-your-trip/

Our 45 pound dog body-checked me in the knee at full speed yesterday and my first thought was that I was headed for surgery again. After laying in a crumpled heap in the driveway, with her staring at me from a safe distance, I did finally get up and was walking on it in a few minutes. Pretty sore today but I think everything is intact. Hope I can ski on Saturday. They will be serving beer, so there is that option.

What a great season-ender day at Sir Sam's, thanks to cooperation between the WWHSTA board and Sir Sam's management. I'm to lazy to re-post, so you can check out the story here (and you should have the NYSB on your radar anyway):

https://nyskiblog.com/forum/threads/...185/post-39808