Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Kinda Urgent: Thule box repair Bad cracks

OK I am in a store and I do not have time to search because I only have my phone. I am looking at a brand new damaged thule motion XTXL $800 MSRP I can get this for $175 out the door, with locks and brackets. I’ve done a couple of repairs but not in a place like this near hinge it is the open from either side model. I need some experts to weigh in here with longevity of a repair to this area, that’s my main concern Is not how it looks but how it’s gonna hold up so I do not yard sale I 70 with stuff worth more than the box. is this feasible? is $175 cheap enough for this damage? sorry for dupe pics i’m in store and fending off other potential buyers and there is bad signal in here. See pics below…

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C3C1B41E-E3C9-449F-9F71-BE504965F7BF.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	513.4 KB 
ID:	399567

Name:	C3C1B41E-E3C9-449F-9F71-BE504965F7BF.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	513.4 KB 
ID:	399567

Name:	92FDA9B2-4C41-4FDB-A8FB-712411122F95.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	494.1 KB 
ID:	399568
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

2 part epoxy and drywall repair tape the sticky backed kind or spent dryer sheets if you need to make sharper corners, stick the tape on the inside and epoxy over it, if you got major craks its a good place to put some stickers ALL repairs go on the inside

its permanent repair IME, i had an old Thule that was on the car for 10 yrs, it had > doz cracks from vibration/ UV/ hanging off the edge of the box, the repairs all stayed permanent but there were new cracks every year so crack repair was a yearly maintenance thing until the car got stolen and i bought a PU

I kind of doubt the hinges are interfering with the lid openning, does it open properly ?
    Last edited by XXX-er; 01-03-2022 at 03:16 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I repaired one where one of the locking hinges was completely separate from the rest of the box, and going on maybe 4 seasons now without a worry.

OK thanks guys I’ve been doing the deal and then moving the box to where I can work on it I just found one of your threads I’m still driving but I’m going to be on my computer tonight and read it all. Do you think there’s any additional information in this thread below

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...t=thule+repair
    www.freeridesystems.com

Also it’s good to know that these repairs can hold up I never even paid attention to my old repairs because they were in the bottom
    www.freeridesystems.com

After I told them I wanted to do it. They surprised me with another 20% off and said that they did not want to tell me when I was making my decision because they didn’t want to influence me LOL. So I mean damn I paid $40 for the key kit for my stupid last rack. So I am more than willing to take a chance on this thing
    Last edited by Micol; 01-03-2022 at 04:29 PM.
    www.freeridesystems.com

I should add the better you are at taping the edges nice and flush the better you repair will be look

Kinda like the fixing gortex with AQS

IME its a good thing to read several threads on any subject cuz you pick up a little something in each post and form your own consensus

agreed, i’m going to study tonight and tackle it tomorrow. i was just fending off the wolves and trying to figure out whether i could fix to make structurally sound but could not dig into research deep. i will read a bunch tonight and mayb have a few more questions. thanks
    www.freeridesystems.com

Would you want to use G-Flex epoxy to help it survive the vibrations?

I bought a repaired Thule last year and it's held up great. No idea what he used but I don't think it was epoxy.

IME just use a good slowset 2 part epoxy or even better

buy a PU

im reading some epoxies specifically for ABS . can you weigh in on this? when you are saying tape the edges i assume you mean from the outside like maybe using gorilla tape like you would use butterfly bandages on a gaping cut? does this mean that no epoxy actually exists from broken edge to edge where they butt up to each other? any recs on best room temperature while making repair and curing?
    www.freeridesystems.com

Let us know what you lose when it comes apart on the interstate...

Look up “hot stapler” if you want to buy a new useful tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Micol View Post
    im reading some epoxies specifically for ABS . can you weigh in on this? when you are saying tape the edges i assume you mean from the outside like maybe using gorilla tape like you would use butterfly bandages on a gaping cut? does this mean that no epoxy actually exists from broken edge to edge where they butt up to each other? any recs on best room temperature while making repair and curing?
    i just used 2 part slowset

yes just butt the edges togetehr so it looks very nice get those edges as close togetehr as you can, the tape will hold the crack togetehr, then apply the glue/ DW screen on the inside and let cure, if you do it right the repair will be almost invisible

Some epoxy is likely to seep into the crack but not important, you really wana get those edges as close as you can togetehr so it looks better and you got the sticky backed dw tape to give the repair strength.

I don't think I have any picts cuz the car got stolen

take picts of your own to show the rest of the class

for plastics I like the "plastic welder" 2 part you can get at hardware stores. Kinda thick and gloopy but it melts the base material a little and gets a good bond. And yep, reinforce with some fiberglass tape or some such stuff. Good score.

I had a major damage so I used 2-component epoxy and fiberglass sheets, wetting the glass, laid up a few pieces inside and out, and let it cure. Then rough sanded and did again. The outside I covered with black 3M tape which is only now showing its age. It's solid.

ok thanks. i keep seeing thule abs does not like fiberglass in various threads...so im still not sure
    www.freeridesystems.com

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    Look up “hot stapler” if you want to buy a new useful tool.
    looks like frankenstein nascar type shizzle, maybe this on inside? then drywall tape and layup over it ....maybe leave the outside clean
    www.freeridesystems.com

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Let us know what you lose when it comes apart on the interstate...

will b good shit fo sure
    www.freeridesystems.com

Quote Originally Posted by Micol View Post
    ok thanks. i keep seeing thule abs does not like fiberglass in various threads...so im still not sure
    well this thule box was the standard thule plastic from 2000-ish whatever that was, if you got 2-part epoxy test it out on the inside if you like, not sure what the sticky DW patch tapeis, I did use fibreglass mat, i also used dryer sheets, the 2 part epoxy stuck everything to the box

def inside if this is the way...mayb this clip ends, sand down, then do the fabric/epoxy or abs welding sticks
    www.freeridesystems.com

this is getting a bit fancy
    tl/dw

www.freeridesystems.com

When I was younger and dumber I bought cheap broken plastic box. All the plastic was there but there were massive cracks from what looked like someone trying to park in the garage.

I drilled small holes opposite each other along the length of each crack, and then used small zip ties through the holes to close the cracks. I sealed with uh... Some sort of paintable silicone I think, and then used spray on black flex seal to cover it all up. It's held up perfectly and it's very subtle. Not the best repair maybe but it was cheap and easy!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tomorrow going to be ABS welding from the inside and using metal mesh as well as repair filler and ABS welding rods melted. Tools from harbor freight. Aluminum Tape on outside. Will post updates after completed.

New Thule boxes made from ABS plastic.

How hot can ABS get before melting?
    Its glass transition temperature is approximately 220 °F (104 °C). ABS is amorphous and therefore has no true melting point. ABS is a terpolymer made by polymerizing styrene and acrylonitrile in the presence of polybutadiene.

Whatever going to be sanding per video and following procedures outlined to the inside of the box. will assess the outside after inside repair.
    www.freeridesystems.com

Quote Originally Posted by waveshello View Post
    When I was younger and dumber I bought cheap broken plastic box. All the plastic was there but there were massive cracks from what looked like someone trying to park in the garage.

I drilled small holes opposite each other along the length of each crack, and then used small zip ties through the holes to close the cracks. I sealed with uh... Some sort of paintable silicone I think, and then used spray on black flex seal to cover it all up. It's held up perfectly and it's very subtle. Not the best repair maybe but it was cheap and easy!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    ive seen these repairs to snow machine plastics and they do hold up over time
    www.freeridesystems.com