Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best Way to Get from Park City to Canyons and vice versa

It seems like the general advice is to just stick with one side for the day, but any tips on the best way to cross from the Park City side to the Canyons side and vice versa? Looks a bit convoluted just from looking at the trail map.

Also any suggestions in general to maximize skiing and avoid chokepoints on either side. The lift system looks a bit nuts.

Don’t they have a shuttle from each base area? Like 15-20-minute trip?

Both base areas can suck in the morning. I find I like the extremities of both resorts. Much of what is in the middle is kinda meh.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

From The Canyons village: Take the Red Pine Gondola. From the top of the Red Pine Gondola ski down Chicane. Take the Timberline lift to the Iron Mountain lift. Ski Mercury to Chrome Alley and get on the Quicksilver Gondola.

From the Park City village: Take Crescent and ski down Claimjumper to the Quicksilver Gondola. Be prepared for a longer line at Quicksilver going in that direction in the morning.
    "Holy Cow!" someone exclaimed from the back of the stationwagon.

Thanks. We're staying a couple miles north of Canyons Village, so I'd imagine we'll usually be starting the day from the Canyons side. Also hope to get in a Snowbasin day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Don’t they have a shuttle from each base area? Like 15-20-minute trip?
    The bus will definitely be the fastest option. I've only used it during bike season, but the PC bus system is great.

I'm sure the bus works great, but if we're already on one of the mountains...

Private helicopter?

Outdoors seems to be the best way FYIClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1641245464.972498.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	517.9 KB 
ID:	399575

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Yes, this definitely makes me want to get on a bus less. We are renting a car.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    We had to take a short bus ride from the parking lot when we went to Winter Park on NYE to ski... packed to the gills and it appeared we were the only ones masked...

I think that's the best way. Although, you might struggle to find parking on the park city side.

With that said, I personally prefer to only stick to one side each day since it's such a hassle to travel between the two sides.

Pretty much what skysos wrote if you want to get from A to B efficiently.

Towards the end of this article, it gives some ideas if you want to ski some runs as you travel across, making it more Euro style: https://www.parkcitymag.com/outdoors...ountain-resort

If you’re getting into a car, just drive to LCC.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    If you’re getting into a car, just drive to LCC.
    Ever heard of this thing called an Epic Pass?

Quote Originally Posted by skysos View Post
    From The Canyons village: Take the Red Pine Gondola. From the top of the Red Pine Gondola ski down Chicane. Take the Timberline lift to the Iron Mountain lift. Ski Mercury to Chrome Alley and get on the Quicksilver Gondola.

From the Park City village: Take Crescent and ski down Claimjumper to the Quicksilver Gondola. Be prepared for a longer line at Quicksilver going in that direction in the morning.
    This, but you miss out on good skiing. I would take the Bubble to top ski down to mid-mountain then Chicane. Ride Tombstone to Peak 5 down to Dreamscape. Take a lap in the Dreamcatcher bowl and then down to Iron. Then follow sky's. His/her recommendation is good, but I hate riding 0 vert lifts. The Peak 5 trees and all of Dreamcatcher is nice. Going back, I would get to the top of Silverload/Bonanza, ski Prospector down to Gondola....but I rarely bother with the P.C. side, unless I want to ski a few laps on Jupiter, or meet someone for lunch at Davanzas or High West.
    Bubble= better than gonjola. Skiing = Better than riding 0 vert. lift. My way is not the fastest, but IMHO is the best.
    If you want, I will meet you at the Can. base and take you to Quicksilver. The bus option is total bullshit, even if you don't mind public transportation during COVID times.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    We had to take a short bus ride from the parking lot when we went to Winter Park on NYE to ski... packed to the gills and it appeared we were the only ones masked...

How short of a bus?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by connersw View Post
    Pretty much what skysos wrote if you want to get from A to B efficiently.

Towards the end of this article, it gives some ideas if you want to ski some runs as you travel across, making it more Euro style: https://www.parkcitymag.com/outdoors...ountain-resort
    This statement hasn't aged particularly well:
    "But Vail has a well-deserved reputation in the industry for being a top-quality operator..."

Great suggestions so far. I can get a good feel for how to work my way across the mountain from schindlerpiste's description. Yeah, I agree, no point really in just riding lifts if you can ski unless there's a time crunch.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    This, but you miss out on good skiing. I would take the Bubble to top ski down to mid-mountain then Chicane. Ride Tombstone to Peak 5 down to Dreamscape. Take a lap in the Dreamcatcher bowl and then down to Iron. Then follow sky's. His/her recommendation is good, but I hate riding 0 vert lifts. The Peak 5 trees and all of Dreamcatcher is nice. Going back, I would get to the top of Silverload/Bonanza, ski Prospector down to Gondola....but I rarely bother with the P.C. side, unless I want to ski a few laps on Jupiter, or meet someone for lunch at Davanzas or High West.
    Bubble= better than gonjola. Skiing = Better than riding 0 vert. lift. My way is not the fastest, but IMHO is the best.
    If you want, I will meet you at the Can. base and take you to Quicksilver. The bus option is total bullshit, even if you don't mind public transportation during COVID times.
    This from Canyons to PC. Going from PC to Canyons, Quicksilver Gondy to White Pine to Dreamcatcher Chair to Alpenglow, then use the map. Alpenglow is one of my favorite runs on the whole mountain.

Did it last year with my 8 and 10 year old. Got dropped at the PC Town Chair, skied PC side for the morning and then took that route back to Canyons. It's an awesome experience teaching them navigation, endurance, and enjoying the views and adventure.
    Last edited by UrMomsKneePads; 01-03-2022 at 10:26 PM.

About parking: I know there are a couple free options, but looks like parking is pretty cheap with a carpool of three. Is there a dedicated area for carpool parking, or do you just get a discount but park with the non-carpoolers? Anyway, seems like since we're staying north of the Canyons the Canyons upper lot would be a good choice assuming it's not full. According to the website it's $5 for carpools.

About parking: I know there are a couple free options, but looks like parking is pretty cheap with a carpool of three. Is there a dedicated area for carpool parking, or do you just get a discount but park with the non-carpoolers? Anyway, seems like since we're staying north of the Canyons the Canyons upper lot would be a good choice assuming it's not full. According to the website it's $5 for carpools.
    Parking at the Canyons is always a better option IMO. Hopefully someone else can answer about the dedicated carpool parking.

Edit: my guess is you park with everyone else.

I never use the pay-for parking at Canyons, so I can't answer the question.

However, the Cabriolet lot rarely fills up. That's where most people park for Canyons.

If you're skiing the PCMR side, get there early if you don't want to take the bus. You can usually find a spot near the bottom of the First Time lift. It's better than tromping around the base village.

The bus is the quickest and most convenient way between the base areas.

Sunpeak and Super Condor have been closed all year, which is weird and kind of upsetting. Orange Bubble midstation, Sunpeak, and Condor are nice laps close to the Canyons base without having to travel forever on groomers. Maybe they'll finally open all that stuff up this week?

Pioneer, Bonanza, and McConkeys are similarly easy to get to and fun to lap on the PCMR side. And they've actually been open, which is a nice bonus.

Avoid Home Run at the end of the day if you can.

And you don't want to fight your way through Tombstone/Over and Out at the end of the day. If you're skiing 9990, you can skip that shitshow by making your last 9990 lap on the Red Pine Chutes. That will take you to the Red Pine Lodge, where you can hit Shortcut over to Docs, Silverado, G-Force, etc. Assuming they get that stuff open. For now, you're stuck downloading the Red Pine gondi or elbowing your way through the gaping hordes at Over and Out.

Good luck. It's a big and weirdly laid-out resort.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    And you don't want to fight your way through Tombstone/Over and Out at the end of the day. If you're skiing 9990, you can skip that shitshow by making your last 9990 lap on the Red Pine Chutes. That will take you to the Red Pine Lodge, where you can hit Shortcut over to Docs, Silverado, G-Force, etc. Assuming they get that stuff open. For now, you're stuck downloading the Red Pine gondi or elbowing your way through the gaping hordes at Over and Out.
    I see Saddleback is open. Is there no way (currently) to ride that lift and then ski down from there?

I'm not going to be there for a couple weeks, so hopefully this will be a non-issue by then.

I see Saddleback is open. Is there no way (currently) to ride that lift and then ski down from there?

I'm not going to be there for a couple weeks, so hopefully this will be a non-issue by then.
    When everything is open, you can bear all the way skier's left off of Kokopelli and cross over the top of the Orange Bubble chairlift to Boomer and Echo. However, that has been shut all season.

Hopefully, they get that stuff open this week. We certainly have the snow for it right now.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Do not miss Snowbasin!!!!! My favorite Wasatch area. The John Paul Lift area is perfect, in my estimation. It is what other areas aspire to be... steep, deep, high speed lift access, tree skiing is endless, and no beginner runs to clutter your flight path.

Quote Originally Posted by snojones View Post
    Do not miss Snowbasin!!!!! My favorite Wasatch area. The John Paul Lift area is perfect, in my estimation. It is what other areas aspire to be... steep, deep, high speed lift access, tree skiing is endless, and no beginner runs to clutter your flight path.
    I don't think that area has opened yet this season. I'm hoping the snow this week will be enough to get most of the rest of the terrain opened up both there and at PC.