Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What;s the old Atomic Bent Chat today?

Not the new bent chat. I own that ski and it's a fun powder ski and excellent touring ski, but not magic inbounds.

Say you you want a mount point in the -2 to -6 range on a heavy ski (2300g) that is happy skiing switch, full playful, straight up "i am gonna fuck around inbounds and have as much fun as possible popping off and jibbing as possible ski with some wiehgt to it." Well what is that ski in 2022? Blackops? Dont tell me the fucking Wildcat, we all skied it to death as the bibby.

Is such a ski made?

I would think something like the magnum opus fits that description.

Edit: apparently the magnum opus was replaced by the "outline." Not sure how it compares to the opus.

Blackops

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Throwing in the revolt 121 as well?

Prior Northwest?

Blackops is up there, but not quite as surfy.

Maybe the Friend 2.0?
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    Not the new bent chat. I own that ski and it's a fun powder ski and excellent touring ski, but not magic inbounds.

Say you you want a mount point in the -2 to -6 range on a heavy ski (2300g) that is happy skiing switch, full playful, straight up "i am gonna fuck around inbounds and have as much fun as possible popping off and jibbing as possible ski with some wiehgt to it." Well what is that ski in 2022? Blackops? Dont tell me the fucking Wildcat, we all skied it to death as the bibby.

Is such a ski made?
    Still use my old BC sunshine version from time to time. So much fun and just makes you want to jump off things. Sorry, can't help with anything new, though.

How about the moment wildcat?

I've wondered the same. Still no desire to replace my 12/13 Bentchetlers but I cringe whenever I hit rocks with them and hope they still have some years left in them. The old ones were discounted by many as a fat jib ski but it really works for me even mounted forward. I put it down to the weight and very even flex pattern.

The newer Renegades would get a look if I was shopping - they measure a bit shorter and no full twin tail but I don't ski switch any more.

ON3P Jeffrey 118 fits that bill pretty nicely. The Kartel 116 felt like an old Bent Chetler that had eaten even more wheaties. I haven't skied the new 118 yet, but I'd bet that it fits the same description based on its specs.

And as mentioned in this thread, the Friend 2.0, Blackops, and Revolt 121 all exist in a very similar category. I haven't gotten to ski them, but the Dynastar M-Free 118 also seems like it could make you happy.

Also -
    Having skied both the OG BC, and the JJ 2.0, I would think that the new JJ 3.0 should be on the short list too.
    Progressive mount, surfy feel, ability to bust through chopped pow, and relatively heavy.

I really like both my BO118, and JJ2.0 but they're fairly different skis that excel in different areas.

EDIT -
    Looks like they bumped the rev on the JJ from 3.0 to 4.0 - 4.0 looks more similar to the 2.0, Heavier and stiffer.
    Last edited by rfconroy; 01-03-2022 at 02:21 PM.

www.experiencedgear.net

I have the 2016 bents in 192. Id say the Revolt 121 191 is almost identical. The dimensions and weight are nearly spot on as well. I A/B'd the revolts against my chets on a demo day felt like a slightly more locked in bent chetler that loved speed. They were sweet. Slightly less pivoty but same DNA.

Blops 118 is close but not as good for crud busting if you are taller since 186 is the biggest and i think they measure short. The bibby is great but its not the same. That JJ looks like it could be great too.

Quote Originally Posted by Trefin View Post
    I have the 2016 bents in 192. Id say the Revolt 121 191 is almost identical. The dimensions and weight are nearly spot on as well. I A/B'd the revolts against my chets on a demo day felt like a slightly more locked in bent chetler that loved speed. They were sweet. Slightly less pivoty but same DNA.
    You have my attention now. My only issue with my old 192 BC was a tendency to fold up in heavier PNW snow at higher speeds. How does the Revolt do with heavier snow?

The revolt is a surprisingly stiff ski, Bibby-esque.

Also I bet it means shit all, but it's Eder's ski. The ultimate run, etc. I'd say it holds up pretty well.
    Last edited by SnakeMagnet; 01-03-2022 at 09:24 PM.

Name:  Image1641265177.530691.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  121.9 KB

From Blister

Do you want just heavy or is stiff ok?

Wow... I can't believe I just typed that.

I haven't skied mine yet but I just bought relatively cheap faction candide 5.0 off STP and those fit the description you are asking about... but they do hand flex quite stiff.

I'm not really a "pop off everything" skier so I don't know how that stiff flex affects what you are looking for.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by slowroastin View Post
    Name:  Image1641265177.530691.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  121.9 KB

From Blister

Well...now I want to try out some new JJs

www.experiencedgear.net

Ok I just scanned that blister review and the flex profile of the ARV and the 5.0 are totally different.

Also the ARV has a lot of taper and the 5.0 almost none.... so maybe my rec is off.

I will note that the weight specs (on blister and faction and STP) for the white topped 2021 version are way off. They list about 2000g / ski but mine measure 2230 g / ski.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Ok I just scanned that blister review and the flex profile of the ARV and the 5.0 are totally different.

Also the ARV has a lot of taper and the 5.0 almost none.... so maybe my rec is off.

I will note that the weight specs (on blister and faction and STP) for the white topped 2021 version are way off. They list about 2000g / ski but mine measure 2230 g / ski.
    Almost all the 2021 models were notoriously over-stiff and heavy, which meant Faction actually made a really good ski for once. Presumably by accident on the manu-switch, because they're back to 'normal' this year.

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeMagnet View Post
    Almost all the 2021 models were notoriously over-stiff and heavy, which meant Faction actually made a really good ski for once. Presumably by accident on the manu-switch, because they're back to 'normal' this year.
    There's a thread in tech talk that says they switched factories for 2021, and then to another factory for 2022.

So you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    Well...now I want to try out some new JJs
    My 192’s are 2500 grams and very soft in the rockered sections. Waiting for snow to try them.

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    You have my attention now. My only issue with my old 192 BC was a tendency to fold up in heavier PNW snow at higher speeds. How does the Revolt do with heavier snow?
    That day it was a foot of cream cheese at snowbasin. they were amazing if you kept your speed up, as is normal for that kind of snow anyways. I only had like 3-4 runs on them. I think they were set at like -5 so naturally they did better that day then my chets at -3. I cant confidently say they hold up any better in chop but they were slightly stiffer. Ive never had folding issues with my version of chets tho since i mostly ski alta and brighton, so i cant speak too confidently on PNW snow since it doesn't happen here often.

i replaced my og bc with faction 5.0 and no it is not the same.
    i still need more time on the 5.0 but it is not the same style of skiing

there is on more to throw into the ring
    down throwdown 125 but only available in 185cm but still available on there webside
    https://www.downskis.com/shop/throwdown-125-2019

SGN urRakkars? Paging @SupreChicken

this year's version is identical to the discounted last year's model linked to above except graphics.

As I have now had multiple days on the Jeffrey 118, in blower and heavier typical PNW (we're talking waist deep). It feels like the culmination of the ON3P wide pow/jib ski. Quick and nimble, amazing float and crushes the crud. And yah, like to pop off shit. I think it's really the best version of this ski from ON3P yet.
    Training for Alpental

Quote Originally Posted by Sessiøn View Post
    As I have now had multiple days on the Jeffrey 118, in blower and heavier typical PNW (we're talking waist deep). It feels like the culmination of the ON3P wide pow/jib ski. Quick and nimble, amazing float and crushes the crud. And yah, like to pop off shit. I think it's really the best version of this ski from ON3P yet.
    can you compare the skis in this thread, aka, OG BC, Blops, Revolt, JJ, Friend 2?