Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamski View Post
    Any Whistler peeps who are aware of Voile dealers nearby? Feels like I never see their skis or straps for sale in town. I know MEC has carried a few things of theirs sporadically in the past.
    VPO. It's ridiculous how hard they are to find locally.

the Titan ski straps are longer/ wider/ thicker/ stronger than the G3 or voile or any of the standard sized straps

every ski tourer should be carrying 3 straps just in case his binding shits the bed its possible to strap the boot on for the ski down or up, one strap won't do it, 2 just makes it 3 is even better ... done it twice
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

bthomson22, did you mount them on the recommended line?
    Last edited by natebob; 01-17-2022 at 06:40 PM. Reason: clarity
    Sawatch is French for scratchy.

Quote Originally Posted by natebob View Post
    bthomson22, did you mount them on the recommended line?
    Yup right on the line. It's a pretty progressive mount at ~6cm back from center (I believe).

Quote Originally Posted by bthomson22 View Post
    Yup right on the line. It's a pretty progressive mount at ~6cm back from center (I believe).
    Yeah, def more forward than I'm used to skiing. I have a pr. of 186 Hyper Manti on deck, can't decide where to put the binding. Currently skiing a Hyper Charger 185 on the recommended line which is 4.8 cms back from the Manti line. I love the Hyper Charger, and understand the differences in rocker profile from the Manti. I did get to ski Hyper Manti with a demo binding, which I moved back from recco line and liked it. Would it be crazy to mount the Manti at the same point as the Charger? I'm looking at these as soft snow skis, don't really care how they ski hard snow, or I'll deal with it if it means they ski pow better.

I don't quite understand why mount points on more progressive skis are more forward than traditional skis. I think it's mostly to stay more centered in relation to running surface(?) for better hard snow performance. Anyone care to educate me more on that subject?

Long time Voile fan, agree with the comments that it's a very underrated brand, solid backcountry skis at good prices.

I mounted my most recent set of Vectors (older model) on the line, but honestly -1cm back would have been a better choice. That's mostly because I'm 185cm & 185lbs and the longest Vectors were 180cm.

Mine:

Hyper V6 BC 183 with Zed 12.

^Rad.
    Mine I picked up last season. 183 V6 BC w/ 3pin cable.
    From what I remember the recommended mount for the 183 length was further forward than on other lengths of that model. I reached out to Voile b/c I actually thought it may be a typo, but never heard anything. In the end I think I mounted 1.5 cm back from recommended. I'd prefer further back, but I'm leaving them.

Edit: Forgot to say they punch above their weight in powder IMO. Very intuitive and fun ski. I've liked Voiles graphics over the years, the current graphics have grown on me.

I do need to modify the heel pads as I find they create too much ramp angle with my 26.5 boot. I leave the cables on and hooked behind the heel piece for hiking. Shaving them down ~5mm or making a new ones will dial it in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-20 at 6.30.42 AM.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	384.9 KB 
ID:	402025  

The regular topsheets look better than the Hyper, IMO, but I didn’t buy them for the topsheets. I don’t think I even knew what the current ones looked like when I had our shop order them.

Mine are mounted on the line, per my monger’s recommendation for touring use. It does look a little odd at first.

Had a great day yesterday on the 186 Manti mounted at 2 cm back from the recommended line. Still curious if anyone has mounted Mantis, or other more forward stance Voiles like V8's further back than suggested.

Anyone have any insight on how to wax the fish scale portion of the BC skis?

Quote Originally Posted by NBABUCKS1 View Post
    I use swix easy glide liquid wax on my XC fishscales when temps are >-5C. Just don't apply too much, or wipe off excess with a cloth before the temp hardens it too much. I also carry a bit of paraphin wax (tealight candle) that I can crayon on if needed if it is colder than -5C; it lasts a bit longer than the liquid on the harder snow.

Use a liquid or paste wax like Swix F4 on the scales. You can hot-wax (or rub on hard wax and cork) the smooth sections, or just use paste wax on the whole ski. Using hard wax (hot or rub-on) will gum up the scales.

Quote Originally Posted by NBABUCKS1 View Post
    I do all the aforementioned too.
    While I'm waxing the rest of the base I usually crayon a little wax on the scales and then run a nylon roto-brush over the scales.

Anyone skiing on the Hyper-Mantis in a 181?

I've had several pairs of Voiles: Insanes, Chargers, Hyper-chargers. I really like my old forest-graphic chargers even though they're kinda chubby. I love my hyper-chargers, but wish I'd have gotten them in a 181 instead of my 185s- I have short legs and kick turns w/them are kind of a chore... Also, with the hyper-chargers, I can't slarve-out the tails like I can on my old Chargers.

Kinda considering selling the Hyper-chargers to get a pair of 181 Hyper-mantis...

Thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by bovine View Post

I've had several pairs of Voiles: Insanes, Chargers, Hyper-chargers. I really like my old forest-graphic chargers even though they're kinda chubby. I love my hyper-chargers, but wish I'd have gotten them in a 181 instead of my 185s- I have short legs and kick turns w/them are kind of a chore... Also, with the hyper-chargers, I can't slarve-out the tails like I can on my old Chargers.

Kinda considering selling the Hyper-chargers to get a pair of 181 Hyper-mantis...

Thoughts...
    The biggest difference between the Hyper-charger and Hyper-manti is the mount point. Manti is a much more progressive mount.

Quote Originally Posted by bovine View Post

Thoughts...
    I'm skiing regular Manti in 186 at -2cm, really liking them. I'm 6'1", 170. Have a pr. of Hyper Manti 185 waiting for bindings, still trying to decide where to put them. I also have Hyper Charger 185 installed on the line. Really like that ski and binding location. Might just mount the Hyper Manti about where the Charger is, knowing there would be plenty of room to move it without hole conflict. I know they are different profiles but for mostly soft snow it might be nice. Agreed on the tails of the Hyper Charger- they are indeed "hard working" as Voile says. I detuned the tails more, which helped some. If I can get the Hyper Manti sorted, I'm also thinking of selling the HChargers.

good tips for the fish scale crew here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRGzeCUOBog

Voile needs a thread

Recently got a pair of 181 Hyper-Mantis, mounted them on the Voile recommended line w/some G3 Ions. Mount point is more progressive than past Voiles I've had (Insane, Charger, Hyper Charger), and it felt spot on.

Today was my first day on them and I really enjoyed them. We did a classic tour in the San Juans that involved skiing off a peak just under 13k- top was rock-hard wind compacted, followed by wind buffed old powder into variable steep choked terrain. The exit was consistent pow that came in up-side-down followed by more consistent pow. Then toured up to another ridgeline and dropped another shot into steep north-facing pow...

Long story short, in today's tour we skied 5-6 different kinds of snow in challenging terrain and the Mantis were great. I put a 1 degree base bevel on them. They felt similar to my old Chargers, except 2 lbs lighter!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1644291031.464341.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	663.7 KB 
ID:	404942Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6311.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	178.7 KB 
ID:	404943Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6307.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	197.6 KB 
ID:	404944Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6310.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	151.3 KB 
ID:	404945
    Last edited by bovine; 02-07-2022 at 09:32 PM.

My Charger BCs came in awfully handy on Saturday when the skin track back out to the trailhead had a slight uphill. Most everyone else either booted through the deep new snow or stopped to put in skins. With the fishscales, I zipped right up.

Man, these things are fun. Hyper V6 BC. Mostly touring today, with a few little pitches.

Picked up a pair of 185 Hyperchargers in December. Always been voile-curious, but never skied one until I got these. My intent was to drop some weight from my wider touring setup; which it did: 200g per ski less.

Mounted on the recommended line with vipecs. I've toured about 10 days on them and skied in the resort a few times to get the hang of them.
    On the uptrack: really feel the reduced weight. No issues on kick turns.
    Heading down: 2 words - great ski! Powder turns are a dream, 10/10. All other backcountry snow types are 7/10 or better. They have the power to ski anything pretty well. Very easy to turn, but not a flippy, turny ski. Pretty traditional feel in general, but with a slight modern twist. Only thing I would say negative is tight trees are a challenge (probably due to pilot), and once in a while I feel the mount is maybe 1cm too far back. Really amazing how well they handle all conditions for what they weigh.

They ski in the resort pretty well for their weight. Might pick up a supercharger (same shape, heavier construction) for a 50/50 resort ski.
    Construction seems top notch.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230204_131538.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	447601

I have a 5 or so year old pair of the V6 in 183 that are moderately beat if anyone wants them. A few core shots that I fixed at home thar look like shit. I earned a new core shot earlier this season at the inside boot edge, but the metal is straight and without bindings, it can be an outside edge. One of the tails is splitting. Epoxy and a clamp helped for two seasons, but it needs another treatment. Recently mounted with axls at +1 after I jacked up the mount at boot center. Free for local pick up (Denver or Winter Park) and this is preferred, but I’ll ship them if you pay in advance.

My favorite all around ski ever. Half and half touring and resort. Not great on ice or at high speed, but I like them so much for powder, bumps, trees, variable snow and groomers that I bought the same ski to replace it.

Glad to see the thread getting some love.

I've been enjoying the Hyperchargers. They feel just like the Supers, just lighter. I'm just used to how these ski. I did a tour recently where we skied some frozen crust but mostly powder, and I was happy with the edge grip. I changed the base bevel to 1.5 outside the camber contact points (standard bevels are 1 & 1 on all Voiles) to keep them from hooking up. In past I would have detuned, but now I have a base bevel guide and I think this is the way to go. They are mounted on the line with Marker Alpinists, and the main adjustment I've had to do is getting used to the flat ramp.

Early season I grazed a couple rocks with the new skis... wasn't happy about it, but I didn't sustain any major damage. These feel about as durable as the Supers. Those I did some really hard rock hits and dented the edges, although I was able to fill the gaps with epoxy and prevent any further delam.

Love voile. Got a Mojo splitboard many years back, still functional, since then many bindings and skis that are still in the quiver. Presently V6 BC’s are the best skis I’ve ever had. My go to’s for any condition, but will still bust out the original drifters when it’s just too light and deep for anything else.

They seem to have really dialed in that sweet balance between sidecut, rocker, length and whatever other sorcery they mix in to make a ski just want to turn and float just by thinking about it.