Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Voile needs a thread

Hey folks, I've been skiing Voile as touring sticks for a long time now. I've got some orange Superchargers that I bought to replace some forest design Chargers that were my first rockered skis. These Superchargers are pushing 5 years of heavy use including 2 edge dents, a couple mounts and core shots... and they still rip!

Superchargers were a nice upgrade on the original. I had a sketchy moment near the summit of Silver Star peak where clouds moved in and the snow froze. The Chargers I was on had very poor edge hold on the ice and I nearly went for an uncontrolled fall after the edges lost grip and I hip checked but recovered. The extra camber on the Superchargers make them much better suited for general-purpose touring/winter ski mountaineering where you might encounter some ice.

I've kind of been a fan of Voile for a while I guess. It's hard to find deals on their gear, but I paid full retail for the Superchargers and have definitely got my money's worth.

What can people say about some of the other models in Voile's line? I'm intrigued by the Hyperchargers but am considering just getting the Supers again since I know what I like, and I can save a bunch of weight ditching the Dynafit rotations I've got on them. Then there's the new Manti, which seems like a more center-mounted and slarvy version of the S/Hcharger, but there's barely any information out there.

Curious to hear what people think...
    Last edited by kamtron; 01-02-2022 at 10:49 PM.

Their straps are really good.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    swing your fucking sword.

The original Mt Surf introduced me to the joys of porpoising Sierra Cement.

I’ve been skiing Charger BCs and Vectors for some time. I’m a total Voile fan-boi.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1641177474.242399.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	195.7 KB 
ID:	399446

Voile needs a shout out for their bindings as well. I have mountaineers on my classic XC, switchback X2 on my alpinas, and my wife has X2s for both her backcountry and lift-served set-ups. I've got their long-tour cartridges on my TTS touring sticks.

And their avy shovels and ski straps rock.

Voile makes great skis at great prices. Very under rated brand. They’ve figured out that super light and stiff is basically the worst combo possible. If you’re going to make a ski light it has to have good dampening and Voile has that nailed. I personally opt for heavier skis, but if I was a weight weeny I’d buy Voile. They also don’t needlessly tweak and ruin good skis just for the sake of updating.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Here're the old chargers on the "ski rack" driving to the heli pad outside Golden, en route to Fairy Meadows (2016)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	025a107f97294e70e0b78e0487977d9e.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	182.6 KB 
ID:	399448

Spine slashing on the Supers

Name:  9a0d44122a1708ee7beb0bc655e411ea.jpg
Views: 1468
Size:  66.9 KB

I have the same tele pro shovel from probably the first year it was made.
    off your knees Louie

I have the Hyperchargers, and they are a ton of fun. They are so much easier to ski than almost anything else I've skied. They can make really small, quick turns but also keep pace on bigger arcs. Seem to be the chargiest ski of the Voile lineup, which I think is perfect for me. More directional than slarvy for sure. Not the most stable or damp on hard snow, but that's not really where I'd want Voiles anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    Their straps are really good.

my strap quiver far out weighs my ski quiver. Is this where we can post pictures of our straps ons the site?! My favorite is this long pink one I have.

Voile straps to the rescue when your chain tensioner breaks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Voile straps>duct tape IMO!

Mt Surf way ahead of it’s time. I loved that ski so much it’s the only ski not in active use that I’ve kept!.

One year I got the Objective BC with 3 pin mountaineers. They sorta collected dust for a season or two before I found an appropriate boot, an old pair of Scarpa T3's. Then I put probably 100 days on them over 2-3 seasons. Spending time on that setup led to me selling off my 75mm charger setups e.g. T-race, T1, Axl on stiff skis. For skiing powder I realized I don't want anymore boot than a T2, and I'm ok w/ 75mm still. Last year I got V6 BC's w/ the 3pin cable and I haven't touched the Objectives since.
    I'm happy they keep their 75mm bindings around too. I'm planning to pick up a pair of Switchbacks for use on a slack country setup. A regular V6 may be the ski I go to for that. Also could see getting a pair of V8's to fill another spot in the quiver.

Well the only Voile I've skied is my V6s.
    I actually totally love the way they ski in quality pow and corn. I mean they float really quite well even in the totally bottomless deep, even for me at 6'4" 225 on the 187,188? (Don't remember length exactly). I grew up skiing long straight sticks though so I'm fairly traditional oldschool and still ski pow with a good bounce.

That said, I've got a couple issues. They chatter hideously on hard snow (i know too short)
    And they're not very damp in thick and chunky PNW typical conditions. Prob also an issue with sizing at least partially.
    So third problem is sizing. Only their fatter pow sticks have longer lengths and even those arent really quite long enough for me.
    I bought the V6 partially as a "soft conditions but not deep" pseudomountaineering/ all around tool. So was ok with the shorter length but ive gained ~20# since i bought them six years ago. Younger years i was even skinnier so shortish skis for hard snow were kinda the norm.
    Also dont like how Voile or any ski company changes widths between sizes. It makes for big overlaps sometimes between models and complicates the issue even more.

So four problems i guess🙄
    Dont get me wrong i really enjoy the V6. I'm a quiver guy though and don't believe in the magic unicorn one ski quiver.

Shop bro liked Voile so much he took on the line this year

I was gona get some but I'm just trying to ski anything besides easy groomers

the straps are great for when Dynafit binding are not
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Voile's Split Hooks are simple and solid.

Quote Originally Posted by nickbokhoven View Post
    Voile straps to the rescue when your chain tensioner breaks

I don't suppose Voile asked to use your photo for their marketing and refuse to send you a free Voile strap after posting on their social media contest to win a free strap. Oh well, G3 straps work just as well.

Any Whistler peeps who are aware of Voile dealers nearby? Feels like I never see their skis or straps for sale in town. I know MEC has carried a few things of theirs sporadically in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    Oh well, G3 straps work just as well.
    Uhh, no they don't. The metal tip on the Voile is the perfect size to clear snow and ice from your tech toe sockets.

Quote Originally Posted by snoboy View Post
    Uhh, no they don't. The metal tip on the Voile is the perfect size to clear snow and ice from your tech toe sockets.
    And to clean out your one-e

Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Splitboarding would be no where without their bindings.

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    Voile's Split Hooks are simple and solid.
    True, I find other attempts to improve on this have not succeeded in the simplicity to hold ratio. Others might hold (maybe) a bit tighter but have some annoying design flaw.
    27° 18°

I think the standard voile layup (not the hyper) is a benchmark touring layup. They aren't the lightest but they ski and hold up so well because of that. I skied superchargers for years as my only backcountry ski. I really wish they had less sidecut and I eventually replaced my pair because I have started to prefer much longer turn radii.

Got a pair of Mantis last year and they have been an absolute pleasure. Shares a similar shape with the V6 but with a longer rocker profile and a bit wider. It's really pivoty and fun, especially in deep snow. I have to admit though, the graphics are hideous. Part of me wishes they'd keep all of their topsheet designs simple, much like the hyper line.
    Last edited by bthomson22; 01-04-2022 at 12:43 PM. Reason: typo

V6 fan for years for touring exclusively -- great all around ski for everything from corn to powder.

Had the superchargers and did not care for them for anything other than straight deep powder -- a ton of work to bring around into turns on groomers and chop.

and yeah, have had a voile shovel for 30 years, zero isues