Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
    Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Strong work tgapp, nice brown! Way to get back in the water after surgery!

I went fishing on Sunday and got skunked, I didn't even take any pictures because I was so busy trying every fly in the box. Today, having taken a day off to ponder my failure to catch fish, and to do a few hours of tidying around the house, I returned to the creek I fish, and tried a new spot that I'd seen from a distance. I had resolved to spend the day fishing new water. Sadly, I picked a place that gets sun all afternoon, and with broad contempt for the weather report, the sun decided to come out for most of the afternoon. I had next to no success in this new pool, against another stretch of rock wall. The fish are there, I know because i lost one that took my nymph rig at my feet when I least expected it, and threw the hook I didn't manage to set. I also had a big one rise and share his disdain for my choice of fly.

After a few hours of trying different things, I'd had enough not catching, so I headed for my usual rock wall, where a big fish took my second or third cast, and broke off my wet trailer fly. I had one refusal by another big one, but they really weren't rising by the time I got there (5-ish). So I decided to try something different, I tied on a size six peacock wooley bugger, and tried some streamer fishing. This yielded a hard strike from a feisty foot long cutty, which squirmed out of my hand as I tried to take a picture. I threw a few more casts, and got another hit, this time breaking off at the blood knot where my tippets was attached, making it two lures stolen by fish today! Dem bastids!

I tied on a black sparkle bugger, threw it a few times, and decided to head toward the car. I fished by the car for a few minutes, and decided to fish 'til dark since I was throwing a streamer. I headed downstream scouting a part of the river I hadn't fished, and whabam! I got hard take by another foot long cutty, which didn't manage to squirm free before sharing its beauty with the camera, though it insisted on being blurry in both pics I took.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0066.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	432089
    Last edited by Rasputin; 11-02-2022 at 01:27 AM.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    strong work
    Tend to fish a good bit of stillwater in the fall when the lakes/res cool down, turn over and the fish come up in the water column and put their feed bags on for winter
    Mr toaster and i put a good 50 in the boat sunday
    doubled up a good 10 times

mostly cutts n bows

but managed to check the tigger troot box for the season

salvaged a boat

and sheldon does his thing

Hudge Seasonal Cheers
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    oh and threw the sup in a couple weeks ago fore the first flakes fell for what'll probably be the last of the season barring an indian summer warm up for a final grips grins and bear it session

lit up the poopers pretty good

stuck a nice mirror pooper

and sums bonus whiskered puss

git sum while ya can

Holy water cow!
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    First day back fishing after surgery/hospitalization and I got my best brown yet on a hopper. Pretty stoked.
    That is a nice hopper pull, very late for that spot! Strong work, mang.
    Montani Semper Liberi

I wasn't initially planning on going fishing today. I went to the store to buy some additional wooley buggers, since they worked well last night and I lost one. I also grabbed some worminators, and zonkers as there is a very limited amount of time when the fish rise these days. I mentioned the weather to the guy working there, it was supposed to be pretty cool and might even snow, so I wasn't planning on going, he pointed out that there weren't that many days left. The stark truth of that statement lit a fire under my ass to go fishing. Besides, yesterday I lost my new blaze orange "don't shoot me" tuque ( a wise thing to wear during hunting season), so I wanted to look for it.

I retraced my steps, heading toward the new pool I tried yesterday, fished there a bit with no bites, then headed back toward the car. I tried to capture the beauty of a glassy glide, with the snowy mountains and yellow tamaracks interspersed with the pines in the back ground, the wind kicked up and gone was the glassiness of the glide.

Name:	IMG_0068.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	432181

I headed for the rock wall, as wanted to try out my new streamers and worms, but met with frustration, as nothing would bite. So I took a picture of beauty:

Name:	IMG_0073.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	432182

I also had a wicked headache developing, and some strong weather blew in making casting a chore. I left the rock wall, my head splitting and no fish for the day, I had a sweet meltdown for a few minutes, and the squall passed. I headed for the car, and noticed a small brook trout in a tiny still back water, before it went under a rock. I hadn't known brookies were in there before.

More natural splendor:

Name:	IMG_0072.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	432183

I went to another part of the creek, which I had often looked at, but hadn't got into before, we'll call it "the gorge":

Name:	IMG_0078.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	432184

I was not a happy man at this point, my head hurt like hell and I had discovered a hole in one of my waders. However, I soon got a strike, and had a fish on for a few seconds, before he threw the hook. This did little for my mood, but did spur me further down stream to some fantastically fishy looking water, and eventually I got the strike I'd been praying for, and landed a beauty! This really shows how coppery colored it was (SFB style fish face shot):

Name:	IMG_0079.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	432187

(Standard, Mr. Hand shot):

Name:	IMG_0082.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	432188

The headache persists, but I'm happy with my catch for the day.
    Last edited by Rasputin; 11-02-2022 at 11:14 PM.

Camera angle really makes a difference in how thick the fish looks, this is actually the same fish as above:

Name:	beautyinhand.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	432193

tgapp, douche thine box...
    Montani Semper Liberi

I went forth again today, it was sunny in town all morning, which disappeared in the rear-view mirror, and the skies were heavy and gray. I decided to do some exploring, and went further down the creek than I ever have fished. Starting here:

Name:	IMG_0085.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	2.27 MB 
ID:	432283

It started lightly snowing, as I fished down the creek, to where it goes under a trestle two hundred feet above, and the creek's full volume is forced through a narrow ravine.

Name:	IMG_0086.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	432284

The pool below the point of the cliff (in above photo) is easily twenty feet deep, probably more, hard to fish it effectively with floating fly line.

Name:	IMG_0087.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	432285

My first catch of the day, a nymph, hooked on a size 10 worminator.

Name:	IMG_0088.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	432287

I couldn't go any farther downstream safely, so I went back to the car, and drove up to another stretch of the creek I hadn't ever tried. I followed the creek down stream where it turned away from the road, and found another rock wall, this one isn't as deep, but it looks like a good spot to try again.

Name:	IMG_0090.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	432299

You can probably guess by all the scenery pics, that I caught no fish today, however in addition to the nymph, I also hooked and landed three sticks (one of them weighed around four pounds! ), and for the first time, I actually hooked and landed a rock, on a size 14 prince beadhead nymph. Shitty pic:

Name:	IMG_0097.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	432305
    Last edited by Rasputin; 11-03-2022 at 08:19 PM.

caught a few on the camera.

Salmon are exceptional, you've got to admire the commitment!

Cool pics of the chums, Norse.

I actually initially typed chum shots.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Just found these on the PC UT yard sale. Nice assortments. I think that the asking price for each box (~200 flies/box) is about $120. LMK if interested

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-11-06 at 10.13.35 AM.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	509.0 KB 
ID:	432624
    I just picked up these PMDs (250 of them) for $125 including Caddis case. Prolly a $550 retail package

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-11-06 at 10.13.21 AM.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	525.6 KB 
ID:	432625

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-11-06 at 10.49.47 AM.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	592.4 KB 
ID:	432632
    The dude still has a bunch of streamers, nymphs and drys avail for like prices.
    Last edited by schindlerpiste; 11-07-2022 at 11:49 AM.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

The last time I saw a fly box that organized was fishing with Kokomas. Everything nice and neat in his box. My box is a shitshow. Neither one of us caught anything that day.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Ice on the water this morning. When it warmed up this afternoon I experience one of those sweet, sweet times when the trout are hammering streamers and you can mostly see the action unfolding. There is nothing like watching a solid fish follow your fly for twenty feet then slam it when it pauses.

I decided I wanted to try one more time fishing before shifting to ski mode. I did get a bite or two, but didn't hook anything. It was a beautiful day to be fishing, and strangely, though it was in the mid twenties, and water repeatedly froze in the guides, my hands didn't really get cold, and my feet in cheap hip waders didn't get any more cold than they often are when I'm skiing.

It was a great day in spite of not landing anything but sticks and leaves, and losing four streamers, one worminator, one BH prince nymph, and a small sparkle bugger (I was successfully getting my lures on the bottom where the fish are). Losing lures in the water is better than in trees, or magically vanishing on the back cast.

It will be the last until spring, unless it gets a lot warmer before the bullwheels start turning. The season seems to be winter currently.

Name:	IMG_0098.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	433545

Worth 5 minutes of your time.

Good chit, mang!
    Montani Semper Liberi

Got busy and distracted from the forum for a few months. Here are a couple from late summer/fall.

fish on...

Name:	IMG_1887.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	736.3 KB 
ID:	436836

NOICE!

Name:	DB6C7FCF-05F5-40F0-A954-2BD0F647818F.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	547.0 KB 
ID:	438172

If that’s from Lake Superior I say Lamprey Eel.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-12-29 at 10.24.46 AM.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	624.2 KB 
ID:	440332

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-12-29 at 10.24.01 AM.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	631.2 KB 
ID:	440333

I knew that I should have gone to C.R. this week. Instead, I'm waiting in the red snake...or just snow-shoeing.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Happy New Year from the one river in the western Sierra that's not 10x its regular flow.