Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
    Yeah you guys are all right - appreciate the good advice. I just got excited on a killer deal for a nice Winston, but if I'm going to spend big money (for me) on a rod, I want it to be perfect.

And I agree re: 5wt 9ft being the perfect Western quiver of one fly rod, but I love love love my 4wt TFO for throwing dry flies on a perfect day. Yes it sucks in wind and yes I don't really nymph with it, but it's still a joy.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Yeah you guys are all right - appreciate the good advice. I just got excited on a killer deal for a nice Winston, but if I'm going to spend big money (for me) on a rod, I want it to be perfect.

And I agree re: 5wt 9ft being the perfect Western quiver of one fly rod, but I love love love my 4wt TFO for throwing dry flies on a perfect day. Yes it sucks in wind and yes I don't really nymph with it, but it's still a joy.

Yep, 4 wt dry fly rods are sweet. And then you will find how nice a 9" 6wt throws big hopper patterns and smaller streamers. And then you will want to targeting huge browns in the fall with meaty articulated streamers and start looking for a 7 or 8wt. And then you'll start looking for a 7" 3wt to chase blue lines in the spring. And then you'll start looking into glass because it's pretty fun for that but also for other stuff, too. Then you'll book a trip for saltwater somewhere... And on.

Welcome to the disease!
    Montani Semper Liberi

Quote Originally Posted by MarsB View Post
    Yep, 4 wt dry fly rods are sweet. And then you will find how nice a 9" 6wt throws big hopper patterns and smaller streamers. And then you will want to targeting huge browns in the fall with meaty articulated streamers and start looking for a 7 or 8wt. And then you'll start looking for a 7" 3wt to chase blue lines in the spring. And then you'll start looking into glass because it's pretty fun for that but also for other stuff, too. Then you'll book a trip for saltwater somewhere... And on.

Welcome to the disease!
    And then you get a 1-piece 12wt and go musky fishing….

/everything else

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Reel arrived today. She's a beauty. Wifey wants me to place it under the tree. Now, all I need is to gain some FF skills.

I would love to do a fishing version of BBI at Henry's Fork in early June. If people are interested, I will make arrangements to rent a cabin and put the trip together. Who's interested???

Attachment 428044
    Down.

swing your fucking sword.

Yeah I know the 9 x 5 is the hot set up, but I like throwing dry flies so much that I have the 3 and the 4, and then I skip the five and go right to the 6 (in a saltwater version), and I use that for when I know that I’m just gonna be nymphing and casting from the back of a drift boat with streamers and hopper dropper. And of course it works great as a surf perch and bonefish rod.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Yeah I know the 9 x 5 is the hot set up, but I like throwing dry flies so much that I have the 3 and the 4, and then I skip the five and go right to the 6 (in a saltwater version), and I use that for when I know that I’m just gonna be nymphing and casting from the back of a drift boat with streamers and hopper dropper. And of course it works great as a surf perch and bonefish rod.
    I was an evens only guy for along time. A 4,6,8 setup suited me really well for all of my 20s, bouncing between AK and CO. The first fly rod I bought was a 8’6 mid level Winston 4wt. I was in college and had a big night playing poker on a fake id up at Blackhawk, bough that rod and a Ross reel the next morning. Still fish it occasionally 25 years later. A few years later I found myself working at a lodge in SE AK. Got laughed at when I busted out my 8’6 4wt. Quickly realized I needed more power and added a 6 and 8 via the lodge’s orvis deal. Still fish those rods too.

Generally Love the 4 weights. Always have a fast action 9ft 4wt rigged on the drift boat to fish technically to rising fish. Great for throwing small bwos,midges, and tricos. I like the shorter and slower 4wts for dry fly wade fishing . But this new Scott is just soo much nicer to throw than anything else I have. It’s my fist high end rod, and now I get it. Will end up adding the 4 and 6 once I can commit the dough or track down some sort of deal. It’s a fucking disease, way worse for me than skis.

I’d be game for the BBI on the Henry’s, we usually try to get up there at least once that time of year.
    Last edited by jpcmoriarty; 09-30-2022 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jpcmoriarty View Post
    I was an evens only guy for along time. A 4,6,8 setup suited me really well for all of my 20s, bouncing between AK and CO. The first fly rod I bought was a 8’6 mid level Winston 4wt. I was in college and had a big night playing poker on a fake id up at Blackhawk, bough that rod and a Ross reel the next morning. Still fish it occasionally 25 years later. A few years later I found myself working at a lodge in SE AK. Got laughed at when I busted out my 8’6 4wt. Quickly realized I needed more power and added a 6 and 8 via the lodge’s orvis deal. Still fish those rods too.

Generally Love the 4 weights. Always have a fast action 9ft 4wt rigged on the drift boat to fish technically to rising fish. Great for throwing small bwos,midges, and tricos. I like the shorter and slower 4wts for dry fly wade fishing . But this new Scott is just soo much better nicer to throw than anything else I have. It’s my fist high end rod, and now I get it. Will end up adding the 4 and 6 once I can commit the dough or track down some sort of deal. It’s a fucking disease, way worse for me than skis.

I’d be game for the BBI on the Henry’s, we usually try to get up there at least once that time of year.
    100% on fast action 4 wt. Not just for castability but also line control. Very underrated when talking about rods but if they don’t have the back bone for long pickups, mends, and reaches, yer gonna work a lot harder.

swing your fucking sword.

BBI at Henry's Fork in early June.
    Interested for sure.

I'm also keen on this trip, sounds awesome Schindler

also anyone mind sharing some good fishing lakes in the Uintas via PM? the lady friend wants to go throw for brookies this weekend, thinking round lake and fish lake but would love to hear some other options

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    It helps that the two fisheries I frequent are basically comprised of 99% browns. I’ve only caught one rainbow in the last month of fishing the Beav basically every day.

But if you wanna catch a brown, specially a big one, the hours before and after sunset are your best bet. Dark colored hopper or beetle is my go to. Don’t be afraid to go bigger, but be sure the profile is accurate.
    Dark streamer swung along undercut banks also works well. Marabou and the like are your friend. Articulation doesn’t hurt.
    Hour before sunrise with a big ole mouse pattern can also be incredibly productive. Accurate casts across stream to primary feeding lies. Long strips to start, adjust accordingly.

Or come down and fish these waters for a day or two.

Well, thanks. I really haven't done much streamer fishing. I did, however, catch my first brown trout today, it was decidedly not large, but was delicious. Doing my part to protect the native cutties.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2473.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	428223

I caught three browns, and one cutthroat, in Rock Creek:

Name:	IMG_2469.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	428224

Name:	IMG_2472.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	428225
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

2022 SHITTY FISHING PICTURES AND TALL TALES OF THINGS THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN

For spring creeks Mrs. Plug and I like a 3 or 4 depending on the size of the creek, etc. and I bought her a Winston 3 a hundred years ago. It’s beautiful, but slow. Too slow now compared to modern rods, so I’ve liked Loomis, so I bought her an Edge 4. Ho. Li. Shit. Is that thing nice. So I waited for their 30% sale and got a 3. It’s amazing.
    Well they had another 30% sale so I got an 8.
    I have a problem.
    Oh yeah, gotta stay with the thread theme. Yesterday:

Name:	Image1664638479.314024.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	205.7 KB 
ID:	428263
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Every time I visit this thread I get silly targeted ads for fish jerseys for a week.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

After a long day of losing fish, decorating the outdoors with flies, untangling profoundly snarled leaders, and unleashing tirades of exquisite vitriol, I finally managed to catch a burly cutthroat, and take a bad picture:

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	428500

After setting him loose, I managed to lose three flies in a half an hour, switched to a wooley bugger streamer, and caught my first ever bull trout.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    catch a burly cutthroat and take a bad picture
    I dunno I think it's a perfectly appropriate picture in which both you and the trout are thinking "fuck", but for different reasons.

Unfortunately, the camera chose to focus on the water in the background, it's pretty I guess.

A musky for Harry.

Name:	92B37B1A-0DF6-4E6A-A87E-A97F4532ED67.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	399.7 KB 
ID:	428520

Prehistoric
    Nice outing
    Thx for sharing!

I would love to do a fishing version of BBI at Henry's Fork in early June. ]
    Early June on the Henry's is a real roll of the dice. I'm not just talking about unreliable weather. If it's been a good snow year, the water is going to be high and off-color in early June and the dry fly action will be weak. Moreover, in early June, the Henry's is often the one river in the area that isn't in full blown run-off. That plus the most over-hyped hatch of the season means the Henry's is stooooopid crowded. I can't predict next year's snowpack or the weather but I can tell you with certainty that the Henry's salmonfly hatch will be crowded past the point of diminishing returns.

The railroad ranch season opens June 15 and that plus the arrival of drake hatches really helps spread out the anglers and kicks off the dry fly fishing that the Henry's is known for.

2022 SHITTY FISHING PICTURES AND TALL TALES OF THINGS THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN

Quote Originally Posted by Underoos View Post
    A musky for Harry.

Name:	92B37B1A-0DF6-4E6A-A87E-A97F4532ED67.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	399.7 KB 
ID:	428520

FUCK YEAH !

I knew you fished with Nick, but did not realize you fished with Josh too.
    Last edited by Harry; 10-03-2022 at 03:45 PM.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Down for a Henry’s Fork gathering next June.

Don’t overlook this:

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    The railroad ranch season opens June 15 and that plus the arrival of drake hatches really helps spread out the anglers and kicks off the dry fly fishing that the Henry's is known for.
    I wouldn’t bother showing up before then. The drake hatch was borderline non existent on opening weekend this spring. Contrast to 2021 when there were so many the seagulls were eating most of them. If the bugs are on though, it pays to be there the first few days when most of those fish haven’t seen a fly in ~8 months.

Name:	20221004_172219.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	428698

Never seen this before. I saw a moose fall about 200ft off a cliff. Splat. I'm not sure but the one I saw might have been the second to drop. Think I heard another go down right before the one I saw. Lower dot is the one I saw fall and the upper dot is a bull moose trying to make it's way down.

Woah!

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Woah!
    Ya, figured this fit in with the "tall tales of things that didn't happen".

Tonight I was at my favorite fishing hole. I hooked a good fish on my first cast, then lost him while trying to pull him away from the edge of the pool that is a matted mass of sticks and sand eight feet deep. I wish that was a thing that didn't happen.

Later the fish were rising pretty good, and then a beaver cruises in, underwater from upstream, surfaces at the head of the pool, sees me, then dives and slaps the water with his tail loudly. I don't know if that spooked the pool, but I got skunked today.
    Last edited by Rasputin; 10-06-2022 at 12:27 PM.