Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Heavy skis rock for inbounds "pow" which is usually chop at Alta. I'm a OG bodacious guy.

If you want to go lighter the Rustler 11 is a pretty good ski too.

I'd be happy on any of these as an all-day pow-day ski at Alta:

Nordica Enforcer 115
    Salomon QST Blank
    Blizzard Rustler 11
    Dynastar M Free 108 or 118
    Moment Wildcat 118
    Black Crows Anima

All day inbounds pow ski - Alta /JH

Quote Originally Posted by VON View Post

Nordica Enforcer 115
    Salomon QST Blank
    Blizzard Rustler 11
    Moment Wildcat 118
    Black Crows Anima
    These are solid recommendations. I was going to mention a few of these. I hope to have more first hand info on how the Blank and M Free118 ski later in the week.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

I’m gonna throw out a rec for 187 GPO’s

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Aggressive in my own mind

Or 192 Flex 5 GPO in GS

Aggressive in my own mind

I have Rustler 11s, Protests and Billy Goats. The Rustlers are the best in bumps and firm snow. The Protests are the best in untracked whether it is pow or something crusty or funky. The Goats are the best in chop or dust on crust. They are also pretty terrible on groomers. They aren't scary or anything, just completely unengaging. But it's worth it at most resorts. What makes the shitty on groomers also makes them very easy to pivot despite tracking straight at high speeds. The mass helps them smooth out all sorts of tracked out snow. They are absolutely less tiring to ski all day for a typical resort pow ski than... well.... anything I've ever tried.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I have R11, too. Last year I had R11 188 and they were fun at Alta. This year I sold the 188, decided to ski 185 Bodacious as inbounds pow ski, bought R11 180 to ski moguls and trees. Due to a surgery, I did lose 25lbs. This, more than anything prompted the down size though.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

All day inbounds pow ski - Alta /JH

Quote Originally Posted by VON View Post

Nordica Enforcer 115
    Salomon QST Blank
    Blizzard Rustler 11
    Moment Wildcat 118
    Black Crows Anima
    Really. Solid. Choices.

Icelantic Nomad 115 is also a really fun ski in pow. And with its wide (non-tapered) 150mm tips the Nomad rips groomers back to the lift. Only 2mm of camber underfoot means it pivots really well with a centered stance in tight spots. Sturdy underfoot but soft in tips/tails. Like a super fat E104 without metal. Or like a Rossi Sickle with a bit of camber. You gotta mount it +3cm (-6cm not -9cm rec) though.

Here is a pic of me on the 115 Nomads at Whitewater. This pic below is for banditman. It’s the worst pic of the last two weeks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	93CC2ADC-F204-4BD2-8E18-80F97DF2F815.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	399449
    Last edited by kc_7777; 01-02-2022 at 10:26 PM.

175 lbs, thinks the Automatics are stiff and wants lighter due to endurance issues and dudes are suggesting some pretty burly sticks, god I love you guys!
    OP, don’t take this the wrong way mmmmkay?.. Get stronger and work on technique as heavy skis rule inbounds pow which turns to chop. Proper skeletal alignment makes a heavy ski feel amazing inbounds, you shouldn’t be horking them around.
    I have no real ski recommendations for you as what I like is obviously not what you want or need. With that said it sounds like the Nordica Enforcer 115 is right up your alley. I have hand flexed them and read some reviews and they match the hand flexy fondle. They feel like a very forgiving ski in the hand, reviews confirm that. There are some other solid recco’s in here, don’t think the new BG is it as it is going to reward a strong technical skier. Maybe the older BG may be your jam as indicated earlier.

Haha, I'm ok with the guidance toward heavier. My mind might have gotten the best of me.
    I'm in good shape, can ski pow, skeletal alignment (...let me see) checks out.

However, I have no ego about the name on my topsheets. I DO want to grind my buddies to a pulp around 3:45PM (not before), so they have to buy the first round. That's the endurance issue I'm talking about.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tom deep2.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	399549

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Oooooooooo. 110 188s are interesting for in bounds.

I saw an Amer employee skiing these a few weeks ago at snowbasin. Looked like the picture lol. He didn't say much when rode the chair together but he was curious where I saw it.

Seconding the 190 Wildcats. They're currently my Alta pow ski, and I couldn't be happier. They ski shockingly well on groomers and in moguls for a 118.

I do wish the Blackops Gamer came in a longer length. That'd be another great choice if you're OK with a 186.

Quote Originally Posted by gman321 View Post
    Seconding the 190 Wildcats. They're currently my Alta pow ski, and I couldn't be happier. They ski shockingly well on groomers and in moguls for a 118.

I do wish the Blackops Gamer came in a longer length. That'd be another great choice if you're OK with a 186.
    Nice, having a look!

Yeah, I posted recently in the Black Ops 118 thread (ski now called the Blackops Gamer). I used to ski Alta on metal Katanas (184cm) and Rossi Sickles (186cm). I think the Black Ops 118 is probably a better deep snow ski than either of those for LCC.

Floats pretty well but more importantly crushes deep chop and is still is surprisingly dynamic when carving 2D snow if you encounter it. It mutes out the Alta High T chatter as well as anything I’ve skied too.

But: it’s got a very progressive mount point and only comes in 186 cm max length. Large humans and/or those that prefer a more traditional mount point might want to look elsewhere.

And I agree with those posts above: ski weight is probably your friend if your goal is to ski Alta at high speeds bell to bell on those deep LCC days. I have to work a lot harder to keep my Bentchetler 120s tracking straight through resort chop in the second half of a Wasatch resort pow day than my Black Ops 118.

If you are willing to switch out skis midday at the Collins base on the really deep days, then you might choose differently…

I'll vouch for a lighter ski at Alta on deep days. I am always sidestepping and hiking all over the place and lighter gear makes it easier to hike up for another run off High Greeley or the backside. Having a ski that is not extremely wide makes the sidesteps more pleasant, and it makes the afternoon scraped off chokes in Eagles Nest more manageable.

Only had my 193 Mindbender 116s out a couple days but seem pretty versatile, light, and were pretty fun and easy going. I could get on them too. Seems like a ski that would be good all day and not punish you at the end of the day for being lazy. I think I’ve got a nice mix on the pow end of my quiver between the MBs and 1.5 flex Supergoats.

Someone mentioned Ripstick 106s upthread. I’ve been out some 188 Black Editions and they really punch up in pow for a 106 waisted ski. Big shovel and a decent backbone. If I could only have one ski for everything, might be these. But I get to have more skis so a 106 won’t be my deep day skis.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    I'll vouch for a lighter ski at Alta on deep days. I am always sidestepping and hiking all over the place and lighter gear makes it easier to hike up for another run off High Greeley or the backside. Having a ski that is not extremely wide makes the sidesteps more pleasant, and it makes the afternoon scraped off chokes in Eagles Nest more manageable.
    This is a valid point. The weight of skis like the Billygoat or Enforcer 115 or Black Ops 118 help you descend at speed in deep chop with less work.

But lots of the good inbounds runs at Alta require traversing and sidestepping. So hauling that weight uphill for a dozen Thirds or Backsides will matter too.

The Automatic 117 is a very maneuverable ski, surprisingly so for the width. I'm 71, 6' 180#, slow, and find it very easy to ski, even in soft bumps and trees. If you like the Automatic you should be careful about going to more of a charger. Have you considered the Atomic Backland 117-- I believe it's a lighter version of the old Automatic. Haven't skied it myself.

190 deathwish is certainly manuervable and has enough surface area to do well in deep snow, but it isn't really a chop crusher or a pure pow ski. For me they do well enough as an all day Alta pow ski, but I also have Cease and Desists for those mornings when 20" drop overnight. To me the DWs shine the day after the storm. Plenty of edge grip for groomers, very manuervable in bumps and steeps while still holding their own in untracked pockets.

I used to ski wildcat 118 every day at Alta/bird but realized it isn’t as chargy as I want on choppy days, and doesn’t float as well as some 110 skis - Jeffrey 110 charges more than Wildcat, but Woodsman 110 is where I finally settled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel like a broken record on these forums, or a Dynastar fanboy, and maybe I am; but the Mfree 108 is a stellar ski for Snowbird and Alta. My experience both with old sloppy seconds and with fresh snow at both places made me appreciate the MF108 even more.

Go into the Dynastar thread if you want some more propaganda to support the MF108 groupthink.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMarkus View Post
    I feel like a broken record on these forums, or a Dynastar fanboy, and maybe I am; but the Mfree 108 is a stellar ski for Snowbird and Alta. My experience both with old sloppy seconds and with fresh snow at both places made me appreciate the MF108 even more.

Go into the Dynastar thread if you want some more propaganda to support the MF108 groupthink.
    You’re not wrong. I had the Mfree 108 out in mid thigh blower a week ago and was yet again amazed at how killer that ski is. Snow report said 5” so I grabbed them instead of one of my other true pow skis.
    The ski was super loose, tips would come up beautifully when unweighted, tails never got hung up. I was more in it than a true pow ski but on steeper slopes when I could get them bishes up to speed they planed up and surfed way better than expected.

i'm seconding the rossi black ops.
    out of all my pow skis (spurs, ON3P C&D, Armada Tracer 118) my OG black ops are the most fun throughout the whole day as things transition from untouched pow to tracked to chop.

Sierras here though so that extra weight is nice as the snow inevitably gets heavier. I could see the weight getting old with all the sidestepping at Alta.
    Kastle BMX105HP is my daily driver and Stance 90 for the high pressure firm. 6'3" 175#

All the skis below are good options for JH on a pow day inbounds. I’d stay between 110 and 120mm for an inbounds pow day at JH. Anything fatter and my knees/back are killing me by noon. Anything narrower and you are struggling until it’s pretty skied out.

Solomon Blank
    Nordica Free 115
    K2 Wreckoner 112
    Blizzard Rustler 11
    Kaestle ZX 108 or BMX 115
    Moment Wildcat (and of the variations)
    Rossi Black Ops 118
    Rossi Black Ops Sender Squad (maybe a bit too long)
    Nomad 115
    Any of the Head Kore options over 105mm
    4Frnt Renegade
    Quixote
    K2 Mindbender 116C

I’d stay away from the Bentchetler or JJ. Both are great skis, but not the most stable unless you have a VERY playful style of skiing. They are just too soft for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Moment Deathwish 190.
    DW is perfect, strong recommendation for what you are looking for. Moment has a rep in SLC that can provide demo's. May or may not have the size you are looking for. Use the chat or email function on Moment's website and they can hook you up with his contact info.