Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Talking All day inbounds pow ski - Alta /JH

I have a pair of Automatic 117s 186s that I've been pretty happy with. Delaminating now though.

They are also a little heavy versus the latest crop. I like the shape a lot. I'm 5'10' 175lb. I think they feel a little stiff in deep pow, and about right in chop.

Considering a new inbound pow ski for the entire day. Start with pow, move to trees (maneuverable, wouldn't mind more of this) and ski bumps end of day.
    These would go out in fresh snow and half day old snow.

I would love to pick up a little extra endurance by cutting some weight if possible. The Automatics weigh 2200g.

Almost pulled the trigger on the Bent Chetlers because of their light weight, but got a little nervous about the flex, after I messed my head up reading too much Blister.

So... All day pow ski to last all day. Not raging, but skiing hard. Staying out all day.

-BCs
    -Rustler 11s
    -JJs
    -White Walkers

Anyone in this category with some ideas?

Elan Ripstick 106 Black Editions would be my choice - all day, every day.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Moment Deathwish 190.

IMO light skis suck once you're riding chop. I like heavier skis like the ON3P Billy Goat for my inbounds pow skis. They are fun in fresh and they mob through chop. The older 186 Billy Goat is what I'd suggest. The newest version has lower splay and a stiffer tail so it won't be as easy to ski as your Automatics.

Or you can go big and pick up the flex 4 187 Praxis ProTests in gear swap. Those skis are awesome.

I'm on the new 187cm BG 118 this year. Alpental skier primarily. I used to ride the 186cm Automatic and although that ski was more fun and playful in soft pow, the BG kills it in chop.

They rage. Are they heavy? Yeah. But you get used to it, and there's something to be said for having a ski that crushes everything you point it at. Also, that added stability from the weight/damping properties gives you more stamina as a direct result of having to input less into the ski to maintain your line choice.

They are also fun on groomers. Just stand on them and roll your ankles over. Big GS arcs all the way back to the lift corral. Watch out for small children, deer, jerrys, ect....you won't feel them.

Some here have commented the new BG isn't as good as the older 2014ish BG. As I have both, I'm calling shenanigans. If you ski the front of your boot and get the fuck off your tails, the new tail design and improved shovel flex pattern kill it. Scott and the boys at ON3P nailed this ski. No question.

For reference I am 5'10 160 pounds.
    Maybe closer to 170 with my gear and beer.

Mordecais

I am your height 10lbs lighter and my all day inbounds Alta ski is a 185 Bodacious
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Woodsman 108 (now 110) is the only ski you’ll ever need

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I agree with the others that a heavy ski is much less work than a light ski in anything but absolute untouched pow.

So I would say ON3P 186 Jeffrey 110. I'm about your size, and that's what I ski inbounds. 110 is a nice width.

If you want lighter, I'd second 190 Moment Deathwish.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    IMO light skis suck once you're riding chop. I like heavier skis like the ON3P Billy Goat for my inbounds pow skis. They are fun in fresh and they mob through chop. The older 186 Billy Goat is what I'd suggest. The newest version has lower splay and a stiffer tail so it won't be as easy to ski as your Automatics.

Or you can go big and pick up the flex 4 187 Praxis ProTests in gear swap. Those skis are awesome.
    So just because 2 people who have never actually been on a ski came to this conclusion so now it's the truth?
    Training for Alpental

Katanas!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1641164291.818018.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	166.0 KB 
ID:	399414

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Yeah, I agree with the others that a heavy ski is much less work than a light ski in anything but absolute untouched pow.

So I would say ON3P 186 Jeffrey 110. I'm about your size, and that's what I ski inbounds. 110 is a nice width.

If you want lighter, I'd second 190 Moment Deathwish.
    I’m more like 6’-0” 195 and there is a huge difference in powder and chopped powder between my ON3P Jeff 108s and my Line Mordecais (114). Mordecais float way better. It may only be the width, and Jeff 116s might be just as good, but while the Jeff 108 is my DD and fine in powder, the extra width is super noticeable when I switch to the Lines.

Reckoner 112

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sessiøn View Post
    So just because 2 people who have never actually been on a ski came to this conclusion so now it's the truth?
    Yeah, you've been around long enough to know how TGR works! haha

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    I’m more like 6’-0” 195 and there is a huge difference in powder and chopped powder between my ON3P Jeff 108s and my Line Mordecais (114). Mordecais float way better. It may only be the width, and Jeff 116s might be just as good, but while the Jeff 108 is my DD and fine in powder, the extra width is super noticeable when I switch to the Lines.
    Where do you ski? Also, you've got 30# on me, which is substantial for float.

AIso kind of missed the OPs original question where he loved the Automatic 117 but wanted something lighter for more endurance. He's already on a pretty light and easy-going ski ... it's possible the Jeff 110 isn't for him. I guess Bibby Pro (old one that was lighter) or Benchetler might do the trick.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Yeah, you've been around long enough to know how TGR works! haha

Where do you ski? Also, you've got 30# on me, which is substantial for float.

AIso kind of missed the OPs original question where he loved the Automatic 117 but wanted something lighter for more endurance. He's already on a pretty light and easy-going ski ... it's possible the Jeff 110 isn't for him. I guess Bibby Pro (old one that was lighter) or Benchetler might do the trick.
    Bent is a pretty good recommendation for him I’ll bet. But I hate they don’t have a 110. 100-120 is missing that middle ski I’d you ask me.

I’m in the Rockies: CO, UT and usually a week in WY. Mostly light snow.

I’ve never been on the wider Jefferys. Would like to try those, and I am slightly obsessed with getting on the new Woods and trying those.

This is good advice so far.
    I do appreciate the reality check on going lighter, might be more work in the end.

A lotta recs coming in around 110mm too.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Bent is a pretty good recommendation for him I’ll bet. But I hate they don’t have a 110. 100-120 is missing that middle ski I’d you ask me.

I’m in the Rockies: CO, UT and usually a week in WY. Mostly light snow.

I’ve never been on the wider Jefferys. Would like to try those, and I am slightly obsessed with getting on the new Woods and trying those.

The 110 BC was posted in gear rumors, post #43, 12/13/21

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ghlight=rumors

110 is not a pow ski. It might ski pow well, but true pow skis are over 115mm IMO. You said "pow ski" in the thread title. If you're looking for a daily driver, M-free 108 is the ski you seek.

All day inbounds pow ski - Alta /JH

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    The 110 BC was posted in gear rumors, post #43, 12/13/21

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ghlight=rumors
    Oooooooooo. 110 188s are interesting for in bounds.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    I am your height 10lbs lighter and my all day inbounds Alta ski is a 185 Bodacious
    I ski some old Bonafides as a daily driver. Probably looking to move away from the minimal tail rocker in general. I think the Bodacious prob aren't what I'm after for shape.

How about the JJs versus the Bentchets?
    Looks like maybe weight is the difference - is that about right? Othersize kinda similar?

FWIW my 186 Jeffrey 108 floats better than my 190 bibby pro which is 117 underfoot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sessiøn View Post
    Yup. Always.

I've been skiing SuperGoats for the past 4 years. Since the new tail is modelled after the SGs I have some experience on the new BG tail design. Having also skied the old 186s with their softer, higher splay tail I'm confident in saying the older ski is the most similar version of the Billy Goat to his current Automatic 117.

I personally prefer the SGs tail design over the previous models. If my SGs ever die I'll be buying a new pair of 192 BGs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    Yup. Always.

I've been skiing SuperGoats for the past 4 years. Since the new tail is modelled after the SGs I have some experience on the new BG tail design. Having also skied the old 186s with their softer, higher splay tail I'm confident in saying the older ski is the most similar version of the Billy Goat to his current Automatic 117.

I personally prefer the SGs tail design over the previous models. If my SGs ever die I'll be buying a new pair of 192 BGs.
    ha, thanks!

I'm even wondering if I should through the candide 3.0s in the mix. give up 10% of base area.
    DAMMIT!