Why did smith stop making turbo fan goggles?

Likely related to lack of sales or high warranty claim maybe. But I’ve never had issues with failure of the fan. Foam failed after 5 seasons but that’s expected.

Love the design and fan noise is not noticeable. Great when hiking to avoid fogging.

Bring back the turbo fan!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I have heard that it is "avail next season"

that has been for the past 4 years.

Smith IOX, plus smith RX nose, plus paintbal fan ($20) is the next best I have found

Has anyone tried heated goggles?

This seems to be a solution- https://abom.com/collections/heet-pr...34304530284681

They're cheaper than Smith IO Mags and have a built in heater.

We had some brutally cold days this past week with wind chill below -20 and it was either get frost bite or ski with foggy goggles if using a face mask. I got frostbite...

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    I have heard that it is "avail next season"

that has been for the past 4 years.

Smith IOX, plus smith RX nose, plus paintbal fan ($20) is the next best I have found
    Details on the paintball fan setup?

I have a pair of nearly new turbo fan goggles, which got destroyed by a battery I forgot to remove before storing - leaked and corroded. I'd like to get it back to functional but it's just been sitting around for a couple years.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Details on the paintball fan setup?

I have a pair of nearly new turbo fan goggles, which got destroyed by a battery I forgot to remove before storing - leaked and corroded. I'd like to get it back to functional but it's just been sitting around for a couple years.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/112276517576...0AAOSwd4tTymAg

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/112276516898...YAAMXQ-3NRjebW

I just got a pair of the abom’s delivered. Charged up but haven’t worn them yet. They seem nicely built and pair well with a smith helmet for proper gapage - I’ll try to put up a pic or two of what they actually look like cause the site photos suck.

I used Abom last season with the full mask requirement. I am mixed on them. There were many times that they were still fogged, especially when wet. There were a few long days when the battery gave out.

I wore them the other day without face mask on a wetter day. Kept them on the yellow setting all day and they still fogged on the inside edges.

Bottom line, they are OK. I wear them often, but I also keep a backup pair in my pack.

Don’t put them in the dash to dry or any other overly warm drying method. I broke the inner pieces of my first lens. Lenses change surprisingly straight forward. Neither lens has scratched.
    "Let's be careful out there."

I used the smith Monashees with a fan for years, but eventually they became too expensive, and they changed the models and shapes that had a fan. I still find the rare monashee w/o fan on ebay. I like them for the extra space/depth on the frame for glasses, even tho I don't wear glasses inside of them.

I have a pair of minty fan goggles from a few years back that I'd sell if a mag was interested; can't remember the model off the top...

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    I have a pair of minty fan goggles from a few years back that I'd sell if a mag was interested; can't remember the model off the top...
    PM sent

Talk about inflation; I picked these uphttps://www.habervision.com/Haber-El...info_p_26.html last year for about $40. Fan is a bit noisy but easy installation. Was a lifesaver during mask mandates at the local ski resort.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Talk about inflation; I picked these uphttps://www.habervision.com/Haber-El...info_p_26.html last year for about $40. Fan is a bit noisy but easy installation. Was a lifesaver during mask mandates at the local ski resort.
    Tell me more.... please. Looks intriguing

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Whats the difference between the eliminator and the eliminator + ?

One AAA how long does it last? the web is not so good,

a pict of the product with the battery box open would be cool

is there no stupid little fuckin battery box to fucking fuck up ?

do they seem pretty hardy cuz I'm fucking done with turbo fans ?

Which are good idea but its a chintzy product that breaks
    Last edited by XXX-er; 01-05-2022 at 08:09 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Whats the difference between the eliminator and the eliminator + ?

One AAA how long does it last? the web is not so good,

a pict of the product with the battery box open would be cool

is there no stupid little fuckin battery box to fucking fuck up ?

do they seem pretty hardy cuz I'm fucking done with turbo fans ?

Which are good idea but its a chintzy product that breaks
    Bumping xxx-er gazillion questions. I want answers now!

@Toadman

Haber Mini In-Thread Review

I tried the Haber fan last season. It looked promising, had lots of holes across the top, just like in the pictures from the company website.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_67178497 (2).jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	403021

When I removed the bar I realized it was vented in the middle as well. Moar Air!!! Things were looking up! I quickly started poking holes in the foam across the top of my goggles to fit the threaded studs through. The install went fairly well, that Chinese pot metal they used for the studs and affixed nuts proved to resist all attempts to not cross thread. After 5 minutes I realized they were engineered that way and supposed to be cross eyed... err cross threaded.

Name:	image_67183361 (2).jpg 
Views:	91 
ID:	403023

After getting the top bar tight, I flipped the goggles over to install the battery. This proved to be difficult, as wrangling the small door in the middle section open caused the entire fan assembly to shift around on the frame. The side benefit to this was, those holes I made in the foam earlier got bigger, MUCH BIGGER! Moar Air!!! Things were looking up! AGAIN!

Name:	image_67189249 (2).jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	403024

It was at this point I realized, hey wait a second, there are 24 holes across the top of this fan assembly to let the air in. How does the air get out? Through those 4 small slots on the left side? They look big enough and those 3 on the right? Those look blocked from the inside?

I closed the battery door and flipped the switch. I could hear a low hum but could not feel any air from the holes along the bottom. When I moved the switch to High, a very loud buzzing noise emanated from the fan. I still could not feel any air come out of the 4 holes on the bottom left, but if they were covered the buzzing sound diminished. No audible change happened when the holes on the right side near the switch were covered.

It lasted 2 days on my goggles before I removed it.

It was noisy as fuck, heavy and only blew a negligible amount of air out one side of that entire length of the bar inside the goggles. I quickly realized that no matter what I did, helmet gap or fan on continuous on chair ups, would make any improvement. I think that the biggest issues with the Haber are, too small a fan, too high RPM's made for headaches in 20 minutes and too heavy. That weight caused it to be constantly slipping around due to the clamp not holding tight enough with nothing but foam and a small bit of plastic or 2 pinched between the posts.

That entire assembly blocked more airflow than the foam allowed without the Haber fan in place.

I know Toad likes his, my experience was not so much. YMMV

If anyone wants to try my Haber for free, PM me. Maybe we can ship it around like the traveling BRO's so everyone can share the misery that is that P.O.S product. Just Kidding, that fucking thing isn't worth a single beer, let alone the cost of shipping.
    Crippled but free, I was blind all the time, I was learning to 'ski'.

The best backcountry advice ever given on the TGR forums:

Quote Originally Posted by skibee View Post
    Tits are a good thing, if making a good decision so you can live to see tits again is all that motivates you then so be it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Teh Poacher View Post
    I tried the Haber fan last season. It looked promising, had lots of holes across the top, just like in the pictures from the company website.

Name:	image_67178497 (2).jpg 
Views:	78 
ID:	403021

When I removed the bar I realized it was vented in the middle as well. Moar Air!!! Things were looking up! I quickly started poking holes in the foam across the top of my goggles to fit the threaded studs through. The install went fairly well, that Chinese pot metal they used for the studs and affixed nuts proved to resist all attempts to not cross thread. After 5 minutes I realized they were engineered that way and supposed to be cross eyed... err cross threaded.

Name:	image_67183361 (2).jpg 
Views:	91 
ID:	403023

After getting the top bar tight, I flipped the goggles over to install the battery. This proved to be difficult, as wrangling the small door in the middle section open caused the entire fan assembly to shift around on the frame. The side benefit to this was, those holes I made in the foam earlier got bigger, MUCH BIGGER! Moar Air!!! Things were looking up! AGAIN!

Name:	image_67189249 (2).jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	403024

It was at this point I realized, hey wait a second, there are 24 holes across the top of this fan assembly to let the air in. How does the air get out? Through those 4 small slots on the left side? They look big enough and those 3 on the right? Those look blocked from the inside?

I closed the battery door and flipped the switch. I could hear a low hum but could not feel any air from the holes along the bottom. When I moved the switch to High, a very loud buzzing noise emanated from the fan. I still could not feel any air come out of the 4 holes on the bottom left, but if they were covered the buzzing sound diminished. No audible change happened when the holes on the right side near the switch were covered.

It lasted 2 days on my goggles before I removed it.

It was noisy as fuck, heavy and only blew a negligible amount of air out one side of that entire length of the bar inside the goggles. I quickly realized that no matter what I did, helmet gap or fan on continuous on chair ups, would make any improvement. I think that the biggest issues with the Haber are, too small a fan, too high RPM's made for headaches in 20 minutes and too heavy. That weight caused it to be constantly slipping around due to the clamp not holding tight enough with nothing but foam and a small bit of plastic or 2 pinched between the posts.

That entire assembly blocked more airflow than the foam allowed without the Haber fan in place.

I know Toad likes his, my experience was not so much. YMMV

If anyone wants to try my Haber for free, PM me. Maybe we can ship it around like the traveling BRO's so everyone can share the misery that is that P.O.S product. Just Kidding, that fucking thing isn't worth a single beer, let alone the cost of shipping.
    Thank you for saving us beer!

well that ^^ is why I asked a gazillion questions and why we have tech talk, thanx Teh Poacher

i think a fan on a goggle to deal with fog is a good idea but so far the Smith version doesnt last very long IME and the Haber doesnt appear to work well
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Smith turbo was great

The wires sucked.
    . . .

The wires did suck but it was also the connection. On an old pair the wire ripped but was able to crimp it back on and was a more secure connection. Also seemed to improve the volume of airflow as possibly the crappy connection wasn’t delivering full power.

I've installed the fan I liked to in a smith IOX. works great.