Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Pole length?

Hut custodian/ new guide/ split boarder at GAH had golf club grip on his poles which looked kind of cool, he could just grip than pole wherever he wanted
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Page 3 and nobody has mentioned the importance of pole thickness? Shorter poles can be thicker to achieve the desired result, or so I’ve been told.

She lied!

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Don’t underestimate the importance of the break away strap!

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    No kidding. Strap ons are for an entirely different type of skier. Not that there's anything wrong with that!

There's two types of grip; kung fu grip, which takes decades to become a master. And then GI Joe grip, which is easier to master and practical for most skiers.

Although some say there's a 3rd type of grip; the eagle claw, but IMO that should only be used as a last resort for stabbing obnoxious snowboarders and is not an appropriate grip for skiing, other than when skiing gladed runs.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

This helpful video should clear up any remaining ambiguities:

https://youtu.be/Wof0xPUmW38

Quote Originally Posted by spanghew View Post
    This helpful video should clear up any remaining ambiguities:

Fucking Finns

I’ve been doing it all wrong!

So I need to go shorter and straps on?
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by japanada View Post
    Thanks for making me feel 16 again. I too picked up the Leki carbon adjustable poles myself.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    Jealous... winning; however, depends on girth.

Seriously, the long grip poles look like sex toys.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post

If I head out on any long approaches (Evelyn say) I may bring out the adjustable ones.
    Well Hutz, that's exactly where I went today and we are heading out at the end of the day and I figure I'll lengthen my poles and one of them won't budge. So when I think about it, adjustable poles are great but I never seem to get beyond the 3 or 4 year mark without one crapping out on me.
    Last edited by Angle Parking; 01-03-2022 at 10:23 AM.

I spent some time around a bunch of pros and they all seemed to ride 105cm poles, so I did that for awhile, then I realized they are all way shorter than me so I bumped up to 115 and I’ve been happy there. I think 130 to 135 is what I’d get from 90 degree method.

I break fewer poles this way, too

I'd mention alpine tele pole length.

But nobody cares.

I’m gonna try dropping to 120, then when I get used to that drop to 115 and see which I like better. I’m just sick of skiing with my hands so high on fun terrain.

I don’t like adjustables. So I’m gonna try to find some decent used 120s and 115s to fool around with first. My last poles are ICE USA and have lasted forever. I tend to make long term commitments to boots and poles once I find what I like, so need to get the experimentation out of the way first.

I’m gonna try dropping to 120, then when I get used to that drop to 115 and see which I like better. I’m just sick of skiing with my hands so high on fun terrain.

I don’t like adjustables. So I’m gonna try to find some decent used 120s and 115s to fool around with first. My last poles are ICE USA and have lasted forever. I tend to make long term commitments to boots and poles once I find what I like, so need to get the experimentation out of the way first.

IME the all-aluminium adj poles quit working when they bend & break whereas the carbon lowers like the BD flicklock will bend and bounce back

but some of you are just hard on equipment

and you know who you are

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    <snip> My last poles are ICE USA and have lasted forever.
    Man... I had a pair of those for something like forever. Finally gave up the ghost between two rocks up in Topher's Trees awhile back.

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    Page 3 and nobody has mentioned the importance of pole thickness? Shorter poles can be thicker to achieve the desired result, or so I’ve been told.
    I like skinny carbon poles, more comfortable to sit on… wait, what are we talking about here?

Poles are free from your friendly local rental shop guys..

Try any size you like.

Sounds like you guys are doing it wrong.

Or lost and found

just don't take someone elses poles

i seen a guy do this and he got caught , at apres ski the guy who got his poles taken started yellin that buddy took his poles, the apres-ski band was pretty good so without missing a beat they break into " Maneater " by Hall and Oates and change it to " Pole stealer "

Haha. Yeah. End of season scores only from lost and found

At 5-11, I used 125 poles forever. Dropped down to 115 last year and they feel way better. I prefer my hands lower.

Pole length?

I’m in the short pole camp…. 5’9”, have my adjustable poles set in the 110cm to 115cm range. I play with it sometimes, though, based on conditions and how I’m feeling. I think boots make a difference too… when I went to stiffer boots I actually lengthened my poles a bit. Could just be coincidental. I didn’t spend a lot of time analyzing it at the time. Just went with what felt good.

In general, when it comes to your poles (and everything else), I think just going with whatever feels good is underrated.

The real question is: why aren’t releasable pole straps the standard? Can somebody start a thread about that?
    focus.

Pole length?

6’2”

I’ve got what I think are 125cm Scott Riot poles for inbounds. What’s great about Scott Riots is that the poles are 22mm diameter, so you can swap the grips out for bicycle grips. I have long neck BMX ODIs on them so I can choke down 2-3”

For touring I’ve got 3 piece BD poles. I run them at 120cm for skiing, 135cm for flat approaches, and one short for steep skin tracks.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

My experiment by accident; One pole had a loose adjuster & crept up an inch. Okay, feels a little different but still working. Run later, it's 2 inches. Halfway down, 3.5", bottom it crept up maybe 6". Lesson: you'll know if them bloody sticks are too short but I could certainly drop a couple inches and not miss em.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    Tech talk Jong
    Um Pole Talk Jong

Sent from the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

Do you need longer poles if you a tele-wanker , how about poodle turns vs standing up ?