Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Pole length?

Pole length?

No amount of searching turned up a thread on this, which can’t be possible with this crew, but there it is.

Talking about downhill poles, in boundsish - not adjustable touring poles. What is your height and what pole length do you ski?

I’m thinking I want to go shorter than I’m currently rocking but not sure how much. Gimme some data points.

Tech talk Jong

Flip a pole upside down and grab just below the basket. Forearm should be parallel to the ground.

I think a shorter pole than the recommended, by about 2"s encourages more of a forward reach, giving you more pressure on the front of the boots keeping you off of your heels. I'm 6foot2 and ski with a 48" pole. I think per height recs I should use a 52" pole. I also grew up skiing park so I'm used to a shorter pole anyways.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I think recommended for my height (5'11") is 48". Those work fine, but I also have a set of 50" poles with a longer grip on them. That's my preference - the additional length is nice when skating or traversing flats, adjust your grip down and you've got a shorter pole when needed.

I’m pretty sure my pole is above average in length

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    Flip a pole upside down and grab just below the basket. Forearm should be parallel to the ground.
    Yeah yeah this is the standard but I’m not feeling it these days.

Quote Originally Posted by japanada View Post
    I think a shorter pole than the recommended, by about 2"s encourages more of a forward reach, giving you more pressure on the front of the boots keeping you off of your heels. I'm 6foot2 and ski with a 48" pole. I think per height recs I should use a 52" pole. I also grew up skiing park so I'm used to a shorter pole anyways.

This is where I am. 6’ and skiing a 50” and feeling like it’s longer than I want when I have my knees as bent as they should be. Trying to decide if I should drop down to a 48 or 46. Some of the best 20-30 yo skiers I know have very short poles and I think I like the result. I think their generation may have a better path.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    I think recommended for my height (5'11") is 48". Those work fine, but I also have a set of 50" poles with a longer grip on them. That's my preference - the additional length is nice when skating or traversing flats, adjust your grip down and you've got a shorter pole when needed.
    I’m trying to go the other way.

10 inches

poles will kill you NEVER use poles

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G6iBVxbgX-8
    Check out this guys video. He’s got some good ideas. Without getting to far out in the tech talk weeds, with the advent of skis with more shape people are skiing in a lower, more flexed position now. So a slightly shorter poll than the old 90 deg method (as mentioned above) is legit.

I measure from my asshole, I gains a few inches that way....

I find I like to vary pole length inbounds from time to time; 125cm - 120cm ish. so I bought adjustables. why aren't you considering that?

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    I’m trying to go the other way.
    Are you sure? I do the same as Pinned and ski with my hands down from the top, choked up like--longer grip = shorter poles. Full length on the top grip is still nice for the flats.

Just grab your current poles at, say, the bottom of the grips and see what you think.

I'm a hair under 6'1" and my poles are about 46". That's pretty short, but I hate long poles--they get in the way, and I can't get forward. I also hate it when my poles drag on the groomers.

I skied with straight (non-adjustable) poles for a long time, even when touring, because I HATE floppy poles. In the steeps, I want to be able to really dig in and push on the downhill pole to make a turn. But I got a pair of the Armada adjustable poles, and I find them sufficiently stiff. I extend them when going up hill, mostly because it's a bit more comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by frosted flakes View Post
    I’m pretty sure my pole is above average in length
    You must live in Lake Wobegon.

The correct pole length depends on the conditions--groomers, bumps, pow, steep ?

I have a short pole fetish. Scott series 4 to be exact. 5'-11" = 44".

Quote Originally Posted by japanada View Post

Yup, Doug Coombs recommended shortening your poles by 4 inches.

https://books.google.com/books?id=oD...20pole&f=false

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    This

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

6 foot, 33 inseam, 44.5" pole, top to top of basket, so maybe 47" to the tip.

I'm an old bumper, so short poles made sense. They also help you reach out and forward on the steeps. I've been considering adding an inch for my next set, I don't stay in the bumps much anymore.

My forearm is parallel when I place my hand on top of the basket (as opposed to the norm of under the basket).

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Pole length isn't nearly as important as using the correct pole wax. Without proper waxing, your poles will certainly impede maximum achievable glide speed.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Pole length isn't nearly as important as using the correct pole wax. Without proper waxing, your poles will certainly impede maximum achievable glide speed.
    Astroglide is preferred

Having poles long enough to skate easily on flats so you can ski 100% of the time in the backseat is not a compromise I want to do. Most skiers have poles that are way too long - go 2" shorter than 'normal' to start. Then clip and inch more when you get comfy. A few pros I've seen have wayyyy shorter poles than this - not that I have any idea what is standard with pros but I've seen a couple rock some shockingly short poles before. And they were not park skiers.

I'm a hair under 6' and usually rock 44s inbounds. I'm a shin on the tongues kind of guy and it feels right in the steeps. They sometimes feel a hair short on groomers but that's not really what I'm usually out there for.

Oh somewhere between my armpits and shoulders oughta work. The venerable Bob Burns says so!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    You must live in Lake Wobegon.
    Great reference, thanks for the memory. Although I've heard from some of my inlaws who were close with his family that he was a wierd dude and kind of a dick, I grew up listening and thoroughly enjoyed it.

RIP GK
    Last edited by JayPowHound; 01-01-2022 at 09:39 PM.

No poles + carving skis = the truth

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums