Punching an RS or F1 LT?

Wife is totally digger her new F1 LT's but will need a couple of minor bunion punches. A little nervous about handing them over to a boot fitter who is not well familiar with working on "carbon infused grilamid" so are there any specific procedures for not fucking them up? Or, do I need to go to someone who has experience doing this - anyone in particular in the PNW? These are really close to being a perfect tour boot for her.

GregL
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

That's who I'm hoping will chime in. Would be out catching some turns right now but, as you know, it's freaking cold out. Tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    That's who I'm hoping will chime in. Would be out catching some turns right now but, as you know, it's freaking cold out. Tomorrow!
    This is for more width in the forefoot (presume first met), right? Yes, I do them, though Scarpa says specifically not do punch the carbon reinforced shell, you just can't get as much movement as with a traditional Grilamid shell (Scarpa Maestrale/Gea punches like butter). I don't make housecalls to the Methow, though. Tricks? The carbon-infused plastic doesn't turn glossy or bubble easily with heat, it turns a flat, angry dark black - I gauge temp with the finger inside the shell trick like all plastics, and don't expect miracles (usually the place you need to punch is right where the thick reinforcing band is located). Also helps to have the backing of a large retail presence in case something goes wrong and the boot needs to be replaced.

GregL - yes, 1st met head. Also, if it is in the reinforcing band would a grind be possible? Only looking for a couple of mm.

Is there anyone in the Spokane area that can do this? Easier for us to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    GregL - yes, 1st met head. Also, if it is in the reinforcing band would a grind be possible? Only looking for a couple of mm.

Is there anyone in the Spokane area that can do this? Easier for us to get there.
    Don't grind, the shell to either side of the band is too thin. No idea about Spokane.

Thomas did you end up getting this punch done? How'd it go? Wondering how big of a punch someone can do for the first met for an f1 lt, if anyone else has experience.

Found a decent deal on some of these but I have a bunion situation and they are pretty tight there.. Local shop says they have punched the carbon shells for width before but I'm not sure what is reasonable... So I'm trying to decide if it's worth the gamble or if I should just wait to check out next year's crop of 1kg boots.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Olympic Bootworks punched the bejeezus out of a pair for me. They said it was tricky but they are good at it. Significant width increase from 1st metatarsal head up through my little toe.

I punched my RS and am happy with the results, but gregL's comment above is spot on.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by fleaches View Post
    Thomas did you end up getting this punch done? How'd it go? Wondering how big of a punch someone can do for the first met for an f1 lt, if anyone else has experience.

Found a decent deal on some of these but I have a bunion situation and they are pretty tight there.. Local shop says they have punched the carbon shells for width before but I'm not sure what is reasonable... So I'm trying to decide if it's worth the gamble or if I should just wait to check out next year's crop of 1kg boots.

fleach,

Haven't been able to make it over to Seattle yet to give it a try, so no punch yet. In the meantime the wife is thinking about trying another boot that is a little more accommodating in that 1st met head area before permanently committing to those boots. She has a low volume, skinny foot/calf with a low instep. Was thinking a skorpius/stellar might be worth a try. Problem is that by the time we get over to Seattle all the boots will be packed away for the summer.

Just get the Skorpius and don’t look back. Buy the current version since they’re supposedly making the instep higher for next year. I was in the same place with my F1LTs and I don’t miss them

I’ve got the skorpius and f1lt also, gotta say in terms of shell, skorpius was everything that i wanted the f1lt’s to be in terms of forefoot shape and heel hold. Skorpius skis reaaalllly well. F1lt’s still have a spot, but I’m very impressed with the skorp

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    I’ve got the skorpius and f1lt also, gotta say in terms of shell, skorpius was everything that i wanted the f1lt’s to be in terms of forefoot shape and heel hold. Skorpius skis reaaalllly well. F1lt’s still have a spot, but I’m very impressed with the skorp

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    How's the walk mode compare on those two? I was also kind of interested in checking out the skorpius but was scared off by the low instep, so next year's iteration might be worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by goran View Post
    Olympic Bootworks punched the bejeezus out of a pair for me. They said it was tricky but they are good at it. Significant width increase from 1st metatarsal head up through my little toe.
    That's good to know, thanks! May check with them

Quote Originally Posted by fleaches View Post
    How's the walk mode compare on those two? I was also kind of interested in checking out the skorpius but was scared off by the low instep, so next year's iteration might be worth a look.

F1 LT walks better no doubt about it, but the Skorpius walks well enough.

A couple years ago I asked GregL's advice on punching a customer's RS for 1st met head width. He gave me the same advice as above. I was a bit hesitant to go very aggressive, but they didn't need much, so it worked out well.

Today I finally got around to punching my own F1 LT for 5th met/little toe. Followed Greg's advice again, worked out great- no sole warp or instep drop. The plastic does indeed turn "a flat angry black", took a lot of heat. I shielded the sole and the area above where I was punching to help avoid anything bad happening. Feel like I got about 4mm out of it. I did need to widen it partially where the reinforcing band is, and got some movement even with the thicker material.

In spite of what Scarpa says, the carbon/grilamid material will punch.
    Sawatch is French for scratchy.

GregL, climberevan or anyone else- Have you redone a punch on an F1LT? Any issue with heating it up and doing it again?

Quote Originally Posted by natebob View Post
    GregL, climberevan or anyone else- Have you redone a punch on an F1LT? Any issue with heating it up and doing it again?

Because it's in the wrong spot? I don't think the plastic will retract very well with heat, but I haven't tried.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Because it's in the wrong spot? I don't think the plastic will retract very well with heat, but I haven't tried.
    Right spot, would just like to go for a little more depth. Will report back... Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by natebob View Post
    Right spot, would just like to go for a little more depth. Will report back... Thanks.
    In that case, yes, I've re-punched for more magnitude on both Alien RS and F1 LT shells and it didn't seem to be a problem. Leave it on the press a bit longer.